signals kit question

one of our guys has picked up some kit but is a bit baffled on what is is, sorry no pick but ill do my best to descripe.

1st one, og fiber glass pole same length look to a infantymans mast but the section has a big hoop on the top, bit like the pole in the kids game where if you touch the wire it buzzes, but much much bigger

2nd one, its in a canvas 58 style bag about the same size as the infantry mans mast mag, it contains similar fiber glass og poles which when put together are about the same hight as the infantry mans mast, no other bits are with it.

i will get him to put some piccys up asap, cheers

one of our guys has picked up some kit but is a bit baffled on what is is, sorry no pick but ill do my best to descripe.

1st one, og fiber glass pole same length look to a infantymans mast but the section has a big hoop on the top, bit like the pole in the kids game where if you touch the wire it buzzes, but much much bigger

2nd one, its in a canvas 58 style bag about the same size as the infantry mans mast mag, it contains similar fiber glass og poles which when put together are about the same hight as the infantry mans mast, no other bits are with it.

i will get him to put some piccys up asap, cheers

1st one: if the hoop at the top has a piece cut out of it (i.e: it's not a complete ring), it's a "crookstick" for laying and reeling in telephone cable.

2nd one: could be an aerial support, or part of a support kit for camouflage netting.

Chris.

yeh, loop has a bit cut out, well not cut out but off set so loops not complete, never seen one of them before

2nd one, we thought it was camo poles but not sure, webbing has a pouch on front as if to put in guy ropes and pegs etc? will get piccy of him to post up

Ah, if it's 6 fibreglass poles measuring 98.5 x 3 cm, then that's the Clansman 5.4 metre mast. The pouch will be for all the bits you need to actually put the thing up (stayplates x2, pegs x 5, guys x 6, top piece with wire for use as vertical antenns, plastic ring with toggle for use with wire aerial...).

Chris.

it must be an early type, as the poles are thinner than the masts we have and it doesnt have any of the bits with it, shame

I asked "someone who would know" and got this back:

"Yes, I know precisely the "thinner/lighter" mast you refer to, it was a very well made item, held together with an elastic shock cord down the centre, and was the elevation kit for the UHF antenna for the late Larkspur UHF beacon, the one with a valve PA, and a motorised coder disc inside it, that came in a green bondage style carrier. TRA something, and ran off of an external 12V battery, and was used for DZ set-up by Pathfinders amongst others. Can't recall the number, but had a little diplexer box on the front panel to link the tx and rx connections to the BNC output socket. Also had a DC meter to measure the 12V battery.

These units were about in large quantities in stores, and I think never worked well enough to be trusted, but people used to snaffle the very nice lightweight mast, and use that to elevate the discone for the A43R initially, and then the Bob Marley for the 344 later on, as it went up single handed very quickly."

I can't find anything on t'internet between the A43R and the PRC-344, but if it started TRA, it would be Racal kit (and hence well-made).

That may get you a bit further forward, and I'll have a look in the Racal Antennas brocure to see if I can spot it.

Chris.