Humber Heavy Utility

AmphibAndy

where abouts in the world was that taken? We had one about 1984 that looked like that one, from Somerset or Dorset from memory?
was in macclesfield cheshire the leyland crane was for sale in vintage commercial about 2yrs ago Edited by numan

Hi I am pleased to say this Humber was not cut up, its partner vehicle however was reclaimed for parts. This Humber has been in my shed for nearly 15 years. It is safe and very very complete but still needs restoratation

regards

Nick

hi i am pleased to say this humber was not cut up, its partner vehicle however was reclaimed for parts. This humber has been in my shed for nearly 15 years. It is safe and very very complete but still needs restoratation

regards

nick

good glad it was the lad who as the garage on the site said he cut it up

Just spocken to Phil. The Humber Heavy were used as Y Service intrceptors, they mounted a generator and a HRO reciver. Also the Yanks used them for the same purpose. Phil has pictures if your intrested. Sounds like you are going to have a lot of late nights deciding what your toy is going to be. :-D The Post War Brixmis option is intresting as well. All sorts of unusaul markings, including a big Unioun Flag on the roof.

i am certainly interested in the section Y photos. I have tried Phil but he has not responded to the e mail as yet. may be I did not have the correct address, perhaps you could pm me again? Not so keen on brixmis just because its a 1942 vehicle and as my father is a wartime vet himself it would be our focus to record its history and usage during the 39-45 years. thanks once again

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Andy I have rebuilt a Box That was in a similar state , I found that I had to rebuild it section by section to retain all the Dimentions .Save every small part and use the rotted wood as a pattern .dont rip it apart as its difficult to retain the shape .

There are stacks of small fittings that you will have to remake Photgraph everything .Keep in touch JOHNB

hi John,

Good advice, but unfortunately it collapsed in a big heap when we took it home, so we really do need it to be built along side another with better patterns. Its a bit depressing, it can be done, but what an expense! We did do one about 20 years ago, but it was much better and of course we wish we had never sold it now!

• 4 weeks later...

Andrew,

We still have not got the one mitch had off you running yet, just finished the M20, took 7 years mainly due to trying to find all the parts, if your about you should pop down to Armour and Embarkation, and you can take it for a spin, it runs really well, I think Alicia sent you a photo of us going to the pub in it.

Anyway, hope you and family are well.

Jon Hickman

• 4 weeks later...
Andrew,

We still have not got the one mitch had off you running yet, just finished the M20, took 7 years mainly due to trying to find all the parts, if your about you should pop down to Armour and Embarkation, and you can take it for a spin, it runs really well, I think Alicia sent you a photo of us going to the pub in it.

Anyway, hope you and family are well.

Jon Hickman

Not sure how this system works yet as I have just joined - I have a few Humber bits and pieces to get rid of - How far is Andrew with his rebuild of the Humber as I have original timber frame pieces, such as the the centre and rear door posts, left over from my 9 year restoration - I had new ash components machined from them. I also have a few mechanical parts left

MPH

• 1 month later...

Andy

Sorry was not wishing to step on anyones toes!

but listen, it seems that there are a small number of us Humber owners trying to rebuild these old girls, i'm sure we all have spares and patterns that we could share/swap.

As you may have picked up, i'm rebuilding a 4x4 Personnel with the PU body, so need slightly different to your 'box' builders.

But i do have some running gear spares, steering columns, gearbox and transfer box.

What i'm looking for is :-

Generator with twin pully (or just twin pully)

reserve petrol supply cock ( on floor in cab)

Windscreen surround frame or paterns

and of course any PU body fittings

Jules

I am making loads of stuff for the one in the shop right now (see the website) so if anyone needs anything making shout now and we will do what we can to help.

For instance I am just about to make a set of door skins (zintek) and will be doing windscreens in time. Plus we now have patterns for most of the timbers and bracketry that holds it all together. I dont need wings for this one but can make them up using these as patterns. I have even sourced the tiny little rollers that go in the side window mechanisms although I have yet to get to grips with the intricacies of the sliding roof! I have no mechanical spares though.

Please be advised though coming along after this one has left the premises means that I will be much less able to help (although I will still try!!)

Should anyone want to come along and photograph and measure the frame that is going into this one feel free to make an appointment, although be aware that we are exceptionally fond of ginger Crunch Cream biccies.

thanks Paul and Jules. There are at least two other people restoring a Heavy Utility at present so it does make sense to get these things done at the same time. Jules, have you a spare steering wheel by any chance?

Paul, I am going to call you next week for a chat if thats ok. i hope your number is on your website. Many thanks, together we can get these lovely vehicles back on the road.

Andrew