Jeep 24-YH-46

Pete Ashby

Question

Tracing post war census numbers is a new field for me so I wonder if any of you guys can help out.

I have recently picked up a GPW with a frame plate on the drivers frame rail which lists the post war census number as 24-YH-46 my question is this where do I go to start tracking down the vehicles record card with a view to tracing its service history and hopefully by back reference its war time 'M' number.

I remember this sort of information used to be kept at the now defunct Beverly museum, I used it on several occasions to obtain contract cards for WW11 vehicles but I’m not sure where to start with post war numbers, any help appreciated

Thanks

Pete

• Answers 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I went down this route with my old MB frame. Managed to get a record card for it. There was no mention of the wartime M number, and I dont think you will get one off the card. All the vehicles were re-registered after 1945 to your 6 number letter config.

Thanks for the replies chaps,

I'll contact Deepcut and see if any any records for 24-YH-46 exist. Having read the articles in HMV ( I should have done that first but forgot about them) I can see that vehicles on change before 1949 were given the YH designation so I guess that would explain jeeps with that census code.

Pete

Pete, it looks as if you're the third person on here with a jeep in the YH series - perhaps you should have a gathering! http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?23711-Jeep-chassis-no&p=255920#post255920

Obtaining the card may be productive - the card for a Tilly I used to own recorded the wartime serial that it had been converted from.

Make that 4 of us with YH :-) I have just started to tidy up my 44 GPW which I have owned for about 6 years and never knew what the brass plate ment ? it reads 23 YH 35, chassis 183616, Base OH, 1 56 & B398 can anyone tell me what all that means ? and any info on my Jeep ? cheers

I applied for our Key Card via the RLC Museum and fortunately yes, they had it and it did quote the M number assigned prior to the 78 YH 97 on our chassis plate. So it may well be worth a try although it seems there are no guarantees the Card will either exist still or what it may show ..... At least we now have two chances of finding out more about our Jeep's history, and I was also able to get a copy of the civilian log book from DVLA using Historical Research as the justification, which was a bonus.

Make that 4 of us with YH :-) I have just started to tidy up my 44 GPW which I have owned for about 6 years and never knew what the brass plate ment ? it reads 23 YH 35, chassis 183616, Base OH, 1 56 & B398 can anyone tell me what all that means ? and any info on my Jeep ? cheers

Base OH or overhaul means your Jeep underwent the rebuild programme in 1956, B398 would be the depot number, various military and civilian depots/contractors were involved, it would have been completly dismantled, every component sent to various sections for overhaul and reconditioning, then a new Jeep was assembled from reconfitioned/new parts, so unlikely to be same parts from the original Jeep, hence why so many Jeeps have a mixture of ford and willys parts

Edited by Nick Johns

Base overhaul means your Jeep underwent the rebuild programme in 1956, B398 would be the depot number, various military and civilian depots/contractors were involved, it would have been completly dismantled, every component sent to various sections for overhaul and reconditioning, then a new Jeep was assembled from reconfitioned/new parts, so unlikely to be same parts from the original Jeep, hence why so many Jeeps have a mixture of ford and willys parts

Cheers Nick that proberly explains why I have an early Ford engine #1722 with 'WC' valves and an odd con-rod, a 43 Willys box full of 'F' parts but most the other parts appear to be Ford, bit of a Heinz 57, where would I find out where B398 was ? cheers

where would I find out where B398 was ?

I think you will find that B398 was an AAW, Army Auxilliary Workshop. in other words, a civilian contractor to the Ministry of Supply. I tried this many years ago, and contacted the REME Museum, they do not have a list. There might be something buried in the Public Records Office, maybe. A lot of these places were garages, agricultural engineers, manufacturers service depots, etc. If it were an army workshop it would have their designation, for instance ECO2 was 14 Command Workshop REME.

My jeep a 42 Willys has the post war number of 46 YH 04. You might be interested in seeing what you get on a key card if you are fortunate enough for the one for your jeep surviving.

On my Key card as you can see are the chassis number, M series number, where and when it was disposed of and the contract number is was supplied under. Basically that's your lot, no other history available.

Incidently the two letters in the middle referred to the state of the vehicle and type when transferred over to the new numbering system. YH indicated vehicle transferred over straight away with out the need for remedial work etc. The full list is published in a book about British Military vehicle markings. I will try and find it.

H1HU

smaller jeep keycard 001.jpg

Edited by H1HU

This is turning into a nice little thread on YH series jeeps. So far in this and the other linked threads we've mentioned:

20YH23

23YH35

23YH41

24YH46

46YH04

78YH97

I wonder how many others are out there? Do any of these survive (from my collection - not for reproduction)?

15YH36 (captioned, "Uijongbo - Korea June 1951. Me and my organ! What a stupid looking picture!")

42YH59 (captioned, "The lads of my staff")

78YH68

82YH09

15YH36.jpg

42YH59.jpg

78YH68.jpg

82YH09.jpg

This is all good stuff, I had no idea that there would be so many YH series trucks recorded thanks for the input guys.

A question comes to mind, how were the number sequences allocated what I mean is did the numbers start at 1 YH 1 and run on or is there some significance in the numbers.

Thanks to H1HU ( sorry I don't know your name) I now know what YH means, thanks for sharing your key card info by the way, but the numbers remain a bit of mystery to me.

Pete

About twenty years ago the Road Transport Fleet Data Society had access to the cards now at the RLC museum and published a number of booklets listing the British military vehicle serials they'd researched. Booklets 74 and 75 cover the YH and YJ series respectively.

Unfortunately, I don't have the booklet for the YH series but the YJ booklet says this at the introduction:

The British Army numbering system which commenced in January 1949 was based on a logical pattern and involved renumbering all vehicles from their old "W.D." numbers.

Standard British Army stock was renumbered starting with at 00YA01 using all combinations except YI, YO and YQ and in size related order - thus motorcycles started at YA, progressing through cars, light utilities, trailers, light trucks, heavy trucks to tractor units. The "Y" issues being exhausted, the last few spilled over into ZA, and ZB and ZC were used for various types which were transferred from other services or armies after the war. The remaining "Z" issues were used for fork-lift trucks, engineering plant, tanks, etc.

Vehicles stationed in Germany or Northern Italy at the time were given serial starting at XA, and this series was continued to be used for British vehicles stationed there, but bought on the "Berlin" budget for the post-war policing of Germany. This is only a broad generalisation as the "X" series contained various exceptions to the rule.

With new vehicles in short supply after the war, an extensive programme of rebuilding was carried out, and from 1949 these vehicles were numbered starting from RA.

Vehicles to be purchased from 1949 onwards were allocated series starting from BA (armoured vehicles) and BC (transport vehicles) - the "A" multiples had been reserved for Royal Air Force vehicles, and "N" was for the navy, though "RN" was later preferred.

This publication deals with the YJ series which involved the remaining Ford or Willys jeeps continued from the YH series, plus the first Land Rovers ordered in 1948, and a few other oddments transferred from other services. The series ends with a further batch of utilities transferred from Commonwealth forces in the Far East.

This string is now open to all "Y" and other 1949 series jeeps!

Edited by Runflat

I should have mentioned that the booklet also has some pictures of surviving YJ jeeps, namely:

47YJ43 (now registered 3211VF)

56YJ29 (now registered HYD813)

70YJ95 (now registered 3181NG)

74YJ09 (now registered KAA751)

And here's a picture of 37YJ11 (not for reproduction)

37YJ11.jpg

I own 53 YH 48 (1944 GPW). I've recently requested a copy of the card so be interesting to see what turns up.

One thing you YH guys might be able to help me with is Chassis numbers. As well as the MOS data plate, my GPW had a Chassis number stamped on the front frame horn (drivers side) but on the side of the horn (just behind the bumper). Not in the usual place and not the usual style. I have since seen seveal other British Jeeps with this additional chassis stamping and for years have wondered what it purpose was?? Was it just a duplicate stamping of the original chassis number for ease of viewing OR was it another type of British Census numbering??

Be interested to know if any of your jeeps have the number and how it relates (if at all) to the chassis number thats in the original position OR the Data plate.

Cheers

Richard

SNostamp.jpgMOSplate.jpg

Edited by 44GPW

I own 53 YH 48 (1944 GPW). I've recently requested a copy of the card so be interesting to see what turns up.

One thing you YH guys might be able to help me with is Chassis numbers. As well as the MOS data plate, my GPW had a Chassis number stamped on the front frame horn (drivers side) but on the side of the horn (just behind the bumper). Not in the usual place and not the usual style. I have since seen seveal other British Jeeps with this additional chassis stamping and for years have wondered what it purpose was?? Was it just a duplicate stamping of the original chassis number for ease of viewing OR was it another type of British Census numbering??

Be interested to know if any of your jeeps have the number and how it relates (if at all) to the chassis number thats in the original position OR the Data plate.

Cheers

Richard

SNostamp.jpgMOSplate.jpg

Hi Richard I also have a 44GPW reg 23YH35 and like you I posted my request off to 'Deepcut' a few days ago so it will be interesting what they turn up ?

My jeep also have some other chassis # stampings, the original one is just behind the L/H shocker mount and almost unreadable unless you rub it with fin 'wet un dry' then there is one just behind the L/H bumper plate on top of the chassis stamped with the same punch as the REME plate and a forth one on a alloy plate bolted to the L/H chassis leg just infront of the shocker and also stamped with the same punch.

Just to make it clear, all 4 numbers are the same.

Ian

Edited by Ian L
Spelling mistake

Ian,

Do any of the REME numbers relate to the original chassis number??

Richard

Hi Richard

Yes, the REME plate number has been stamped with the same stamps as the alloy plate and the front number, the original number is the same but different stamping tool.

I will post pictures when I can.

Ian

Hi Pete,

I do have the Fleet data booklet for YH and would suggest that you write to the Road Transport Fleet Data Society at 18 Poplar Close, Biggleswade, Beds SG18 0EW to ask them if you can join them (the fee is very reasonable) and purchase a copy of the YH and YJ booklets (don't quote me, but they used to be something like £3 each).

I think Peter Jarman is still involved. Have tried to find a web-site for them, but nothing accurate except some fire engine/ambulance lists on other sites.

They do appear though to still be 'around' as the dates are early 2011. Price of a stamp might get you a useful booklet.

Jeeps start at 09YH and yours has Nov of 1957 next to it.

Hope this helps you;

BW.Mike.

Jerry,

You state "British stamped chassis number".

Is this stamping on the drivers side frame horn behind the bumper and is it the same as the original chassis number?

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

No visible number behind bumper, its stamped where ford number should be. have taken paint off- will look again next winter if i shotblast frame.

Just got back with New MOT :D

PM me if you fancy coming over to have a look.

24 YH 46 was Lot No.1170H which was part of Lot No.1170 comprising:

A Ford 97 YH 09

B Ford 56 YH 68

C Willys 54 YH 30

D Willys 51 YH 64

E Ford 14 YH 65

F Willys 13 YH 35

G Ford 21 YH 38

H Ford 24 YH 46

I Ford 22 YH 56

J Willys 57 YH 17

This was Sale No. 38 which was a 5-day sale. This was sold on the 3rd day being Wed 13th November 1957. Although sold at MOS Storage Depot, Ruddington the vehicles themselves were viewed at 72 "B" Vehicle Depot, RAOC, Market Harborough.

I don't have a record of the price realised but Lots of 10 Jeeps seemed to realise £700.