Matt paint scratching? satin better?

pockers

Question

as the forum suggests i know this sounds stupid but

Am looking at re spraying my jeep (m38a1) & have got a tin of matt paint from a reputable supplier.

I've test sprayed it (2 coats) & although the colour is good, once dry the paint seems to mark very easily when lightly scratched & i this will be no good for the jeep

am i doing something wrong? or is this just how it is?

would this be avoided if applied with roller?

would this be avoided if i used a satin finish ?

any tips greatly appreciated

24 answers to this question

I was told once that Matt paint is still porous and therefore won't seal out moisture and therefore the potential for rust!

I was told that Satin was always the better option for longevity!

Would like to hear what advice others have heard of / had. :D

I was told once that Matt paint is still porous and therefore won't seal out moisture and therefore the potential for rust!

I was told that Satin was always the better option for longevity!

Would like to hear what advice others have heard of / had. :D

I always paint with gloss first and cover with matt or satin later, as was done in service with British vehicles. Duck oil seems to help with older matt paintwork, when wiped on it lifts the colour and gives some protection.

Iain

I always paint with gloss first and cover with matt or satin later, as was done in service with British vehicles. Duck oil seems to help with older matt paintwork, when wiped on it lifts the colour and gives some protection.

Iain

Gloss First as original.......Lots of logic in that statement Iain. Thanks

Gloss First as original.......Lots of logic in that statement Iain. Thanks

We have always applied matt over a coat of gloss............. always check that the paints are compatable, and dont re-act.... do a small test before painting the whole vehicle, its an even bigger job if things go wrong.:kissoncheek:

I always only ever use satin, synthetic paint on my saracen, it's cheap. I just get it mixed up as necessary from my local paint supplier 'Autopaint', of Lowford, near Burseldon, Southampton. It lasts very well, and has an excellent resistance to scuffs and scratches, as previously said, by others, a quick wipe over with WD-40, Duck Oil, or even diesel will bring the slight sheen back. I generally give my saracen a retouch/repaint every 2-3 years...... but then again it is kept outside, under tarpaulins, so the cold/damp effect it's paint more then something kept in a nice warm garage....

Lots of answers (more than i thought id get) :-D

many thanks to all

I think ill probably go with a satin finish as i try to use it alot on the summer months & i just dont think the matt is going to stand up to it

By experience, I agree with the suggestion of Gloss first and then Matt on top. I painted my WOT2 in just matt finish, and the rust is starting to come through (I didn't know any better at the time). I painted my WOA2 in gloss black first before painting in matt and this has given a much better finish.

did u put good primer on first?

I used something called 'Bondaprimer'. It's good but still a bit porus for a matt paint finish after 15 years. The gloss paint barrier seems to fix things.

Is a Satin Paint the same as a Matt Paint - that, I understand, is a Gloss Paint with a Matting agent added to it, but with the Satin Paint not having quite so much of the Matting Agent in it to it to give the different finish - or is it different altogether?

This has just come up on the Dennis thread, and I read from that, the more matting agent in the paint, the softer and more vulnerable the paint will be and liable to chip or scratch. I have found that!

That is it in an eggshell (I mean nutshell) - there is some reflective criteria for determining what 'dead matt' is, and satin must be about halfway between that and gloss.

So semi satin is more matt than satin, therefore less durable than satin. Well that's how I think of it - it could I guess be regarded as being halfway between gloss and satin. Best to be clear exactly what you want when ordering!!

Edited by N.O.S.