Hello and Help ! I bought a Jeep.

Nickmow

Hello all,

after many many years of contemplating it I finally took the plunge and went and got a jeep. It has been part "restored" but to be honest needs a bit of an overhaul on the mechanical front.

Its not registered and Ive joined the MVT to start the process. Just wondered if I could get an idea on a couple of things.

The paperwork indicates it was an import from France, not sure when but maybe 2005 ish. They have a chassis number 04038 on it, which matches a pop riveted plate in the engine bay infront of the radiator. Having done a bit of research, I found a number stamped on the Front left Chassis frame of 1491 which dosnt seem to match the database I found on the web. I think its a Willys chassis (round cross member) has a willys engine and has obviously had a few bits replaced here and there. Question is which would be the correct number to quote ???

Sorry to arrive here with a bunch of questions but you seem like an informed bunch ;)

P.S. Oh and I think a rear halfshaft has gone and the indicators blink too quick and theres a water leak and the fuel tank sender is shot and the choke needs tightening and the tyres need replaced and the ....... Im in heaven

It appears to have the Hotchkiss spacers under the screen clamps, and the body handles look a bit Hotchkiss too. Without lots of close up pictures, it's hard to say. The wheels also look to be CJ wheels.

Have a look at my MB/Hotchkiss differences pages ( 4 in all ). They may give you a better clue as to what bits are from what!

http://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/jeep/m201mb/m201mb1.htm

Thanks for that Steve thats a pretty definitive set of pictures. Im currently at work watching the clock. That said, from looking at the phots' I can see features of both on my Jeep. Will have a proper shufty when I get home. History is a little shady, as digging through paperwork last night, turns out it was imported to France from Belgium in 1988 and had another chassis number at that time.....bit of a detective story really. Fascinating stuff, standby for pictures.

thanks again

Nick

Home and grubbing around :D. Found the MALT plate on the rear chassis, 26305 which I understand to be a 1964 rebuild number or there abouts. Will keep digging and get some piccies. Though the domestic I/C has clearly stated "your not touching the camera with those filthy hands" I think she was being literal rather than metaphorical !

stand by !

Ok here we got some piccys

First I had a little help from Murray with aspirations of command

Rear Right Chassis member MALT plate with "MALT 26035" embossed, had to do a lot scraping

Hull front right with a Hotchkiss serial number not revealed yet

The data plate in the engine bay

The Engine bay, Willys on the engine, its been converted to 12V from 6 by the last owner

Front left Chassis number 1491

all thoughts much appreciated.

Other thing I need advice with, Rear Left Half SHaft has gone. Leaving an Inch and half segment in the diff. Cant see any damage to the gears. I can get it to shift about 1cm up the pipe but no further, any tips on getting the flippin thing out ? Ive never done it before so every day is a school day.:Dpencil.png

rear right MALT.jpg

murray jeep.jpg

Tub serial.jpg

engine bay chassis plate.jpg

engine view.jpg

chassis front left number.jpg

Thanks Degsy, couldnt find me Brumagem so went for the Royal Corps "Tool, fine adjusting" instead. Had to drop the Diff, which was a first for me, but after a quick Telcon with an informed mate, Seems to have come out OK. Housing and gears in good nick, no knackered teeth or floaty metal bits, which is a good thing right ?

Net result

1 times Halfshaft U/S

1 times lovely cog wheely thing

1 times cog wheely thing holder thing red and black tape also on brackets and bearing covers to avoid swapsy issues (another 3rd party top tip there)

quite chuffed with meself, I could get into this restoration lark :-).

Another question, any reccomends for tyre suppliers ? I seen some on e-bay for £70 or £79 for Landy ones that look a bit more road worthy than the bar ones blokey reckons they will fit a Willysish wheel.

diff housing.jpg

DIff.jpg

half shaft buggered.jpg

Oh bugger that doesn't sound good !. Im really quite ignorant of the whole process to be honest. But it came out really easy and I figured it would be a straight back in job ?

Yes please on info about the tyres though. The chap on e-bay is up in Yorkshire wonder if its the same bloke.

Rear diff will need the pinion (correct word??) depth set using the correct gauge if I recall. Tony Sudds did mine when he rebuilt it, so maybe worth getting in touch with Cliff Harris (Universal Jeep parts) as he may have the correct tool to do this.

Not seen any pictures that would tell us if it's a Hotch, Notch or a Willys - most obvious differences are the heavier gauge metal of the frame/chassis, the reinforcement 'inserts' in the front frame horns (just forward of the grille) and the small cut-out in the seam/lip top centre of the dash. No cut-out = not WW2 tub, unless it's been 'notchkissed' by someone! Engine bay doesn't look Hotchkiss, but if it's been converted back to 6v......

The front left Chassis number 1491, stamped on the upper surface of the chassis puts it in the second batch of M201 Jeeps, built in 1957. Early M201's didn't have the channel re-enforcing piece welded into the front chassis rails, but equally, it could be a recycled MB chassis, with a Hotchkiss number stamped on.

The MALT plate puts the Jeeps rebuild at 1965. It was probably at this time it was given the Hotchkiss electric wipers. Mine was built in 1958, then rebuilt in 1966. It was converted from 6v to start with to 12v with a second 6v battery between the two front seats. It was later converted to 24v with two 12v batteries in the engine bay which caused the change in position of the voltage regulator and air filter.

Look through the list of MB/M201 differences I gave you the link for, and post up some pictures of those parts.

Blimey this is complicated. Fun though. Uncovered a myriad of serial numbers with reference to the M201 site.

Hotchkiss chassis number on left chassis rail 1491

French army chassis number on Right Front Rail behind Bumper 04038

French Army registraion number 025055 on rear right chassis above rear of rearmost spring mount.

MALT plate of 026305 as previously described.

So, Elle et une Jeep Francais mes braves ! possibly with a load of Willys bits to boot.

Will get to work on pictures of features shortly

thanks all

Edited by Nickmow
got the MALT wrong

In the early days, Hotchkiss built Jeeps from salvaged Willys parts; after all, there one or two Jeeps around France in various states of 'blownupness'! During Factory rebuilds, a new Jeep was assembled out of which ever refurbished parts were next in the pile. As a result, rebuilt Jeeps are usually a mix of dozens of Jeeps; Willys, Ford and Hotchkiss.

Until I see some good chassis pictures that show the metal thickness, it's difficult to say what the chassis is. Is there any sign that a Willys Chassis ID plate was fixed to the inside of the front left chassis where the bumper mounts?