GMC 352's

Ive now got the air tank for the tractor unit, thanks to Malcolm. I have had a good measure up and it will fit to the outside of the chassis on the near side between the battery box and the rear mud guard. I have made up the brackets for the tank to fix onto, and also now have all the pipe work and the palm fittings for the air pipes. The palm fittings are fitted with built in valves so this will save fitting separate on/off valves. The 12 volt compressor was also delivered today which looks the business.I think there will be room for this behind the air tank, however if this does not fit then it will go in the tray on the chassis. I have also now sourced a dead man coming over from Belgiem,I have also got a on/off cut out switch for the compressor so when the tank gets to the 120 psi it cuts out automatically. I shall take some pics tomorrow of the various bits, and of the tank ect on the chassis.Thats it for now Howard.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi H,

It was nice to have some help down there at Sunny Mend, Anyway heres what I found for you today if you can make use of it, I have another one slightly larger too, Roys coming tomorrow to have a peek..

Chevy pressure gauge.jpg

M

Edited by Joris

I have had a good morning on the Tractor today, I removed the electrics box for the trailer cables and fabricated a new bracket to hold the air suzie connectors and also the trailer electrics plugs, I prefitted it all to make sure it all lined up. I then blasted and got the bracket painted. heres a few pics before blasting and painting and fitting up. The bracket is not bolted down yet. I also got the brackets made for the air tank i have made these a bit longer than needed untill I get the air lines in to decide how to line it all up.I just now have the compressor to locate and install.heres a few pics. Howard

DSC00204.JPG

DSC00205.JPG

DSC00209.JPG

DSC00207.JPG

Well all of the air pipes and control valve are now fitted on the trailer. I now have to send the wheel cylinders off to past parts for refurbishment and new seals. I have also got some of the air plumbing fitted to the tractor unit, I have also fitted the cut off pressure switch for the air compressor. I am still waiting for the arrival of the dead man. I hope to get the compressor fitted over the weekend.Well thats about it for now, I will get some pics over the weekend. Howard.

I managed to get the trailer out of the shed today, and took advantage of the sunshine, I cleaned off the roof and managed to get a good coat of waterproofing compound on the roof, due to the drying time between coats, I hope to get the last coat on first thing in the morning. Howard.

The second coat of roof seal went on last week, I took the four wheel cylinders to past parts for a refurbishment, they should be ready some time this week, once these are refitted, it will just leave the wheels and tyres to sort out, and it can go for a road test with the GMC tractor unit. I now have a good deadman brake lever so I hope to get that all plumbed in this week.Thats it for now. Howard.

After making a bracket, I have managed to install the dead man brake lever, i have also installed all of the pipe work to the cab for the braking system, and got it all coupled up to the dead man lever. I have tested it and all appears to be ok. I am just waiting for a t piece to plumb in a pressure gauge for inside the cab.Still waiting for the wheel cylinders for the trailer, so I am at a bit of a stand still on that front. I have ordered some steel sheeting for other work on the trailer but this is a surprise for you all at the end.I am also still waiting for the canvas awning that will fit to one side of the trailer. Still thinking about buying four new bar treads or fit on the ones I have not bar treads.Thats it for now. Howard

Hello NOS yep Ive seen that unit before, just does not look right with the open cab, I am glad I changed for a close cab. Ive had a good day today, I have now got all the air brakes up and working on the tractor unit to the trailer.So as soon as wheel cylinders get here I can try the system with the cyinders and wheels on the trailer. heres a few pics I took today of trailer and tractor unit. Howard

DSC00224.JPG

DSC00225.JPG

DSC00227.JPG

DSC00221.JPG

Edited by HWade

Hi I based the position of the fifth wheel on what I had seen on other double drive units, but If I remember rightly there was not alot between my vehicle and the single drive Atkinson that we picked the trailer up with, I know when I am hooked up theres no issue of snagging up.Although it is quite surprising how close the trailer gets to the spare wheel on full lock. Howard

Mmm thats got me thinking about that stake side I plan buying off a certain friend of ours. It might pay me to take some measurements before I commit my self to the trailer, although I have more or less said I would have it. I Think it will be ok but I will have to check.All interesting stuff. Howard

Hello to all. I had the unit connected up to the trailer today, for brake testing, after sorting out an air leak on the control valve, it seemed to be working fine. Heres a pic coupled up to the trailer. Howard

DSC00250.JPG

Hello to all. I had the unit connected up to the trailer today, for brake testing, after sorting out an air leak on the control valve, it seemed to be working fine. Heres a pic coupled up to the trailer. Howard

Beautiful job, well done, it looks cracking.