GMC 352's

Hello Jeff, thanks for those kind words, yes the truck and trailer have come on in leaps and bounds. The trailer is coming on well, I just want to get most of it out of the way instead of a mad rush for the show season, I still have the braking system to fit but should not be to much hassle.All of the major build in the trailer is done. Just the finishing touches.

Thanks Howard.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello David,Many thanks for those kind words and support, glad you are enjoying the blog I know its only a trailer but its a bit different,you made a nice job of the dodge,how are the brakes now.

All the best

Howard

Just to advise Howard, I stopped in at the Wilton carpet shop when I was in Salisbury during the week and picked up that roll-end of hand woven tweed in cornflower, that you wanted to compliment the magnolia walls and Egyptian cotton hand made curtains.

I think the chap in the shop said it worked out at £75 per square meter excluding VAT, but he's put it on your account.

It will look lovely when its down, just have to make sure that we take our great big boots off whenever we pop in for a cup of tea!

Hello David,Many thanks for those kind words and support, glad you are enjoying the blog I know its only a trailer but its a bit different,you made a nice job of the dodge,how are the brakes now.

All the best

Howard

Not quite sorted yet Howard - hope to get the new flexibles fitted next week and hopefully that will resolve my problems for a while .

Hi Howard,

great work you're doing there.

A friend here in Hampshire has acquired what seems to be a CCKW tractor from early 1942, albeit in a terrible state, but with a great deal of it's history known. I'm looking forward to seeing his progress!

Hello G506, I would be very interested in seeing some pics, especially behind the cab and to see how the brake set up was done for the trailer, also the general appearance of the truck do you think you can get some pics and post some on here, that would be very interesting to see it. Do you know where it came from ect. Many Thanks Howard.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a quick update on the semi trailer, all of the painting inside is just about done. I had some stainless steel sheet cut to size for a splash back behind and beside the sink. The panels are also now fitted under the sink. I have also had a unit built in with shelves for storage for pans, tins of grub ect. This also is the storage for the 12 volt batteries at the bottom of the unit. These are used to power the 12 volt lighting, extractor fan, water pump, rear warning light on trailer ect. There is also a management charger built in to keep them topped up.All of the water plumbing is also now done, as well as most of the gas supply. I have also put in floor vents for gas venting should there be a leak.Well I wont bore you any more. I will get some pics when I am next in there. Thats all folks.

Howard.

Well Joris, you do need some creature comforts when you are away, and it certainly beats folding up a wet tent which I have had to do in the past. I think once the paint job is done on the outside of the trailer and the markings are on,it will be a bit different. Thanks for your support.

While we are on the subject, the stainless steel turned up today for the sink splash guard so that is now fitted in place, I will take some pics when it nears the end for the inside.

Regards

Howard

While we are on the subject, the stainless steel turned up today for the sink splash guard so that is now fitted in place, I will take some pics when it nears the end for the inside.

I can hardly contain my excitement.............Oh the thought of that stainless steel splash guard!

Has the 'chemical blue' arrived yet for the fitted toilet?

We'll need a picture.......:)

Edited by M5Clive
Bad grammer!

Another update, the window for the rear door was collected and delivered on Monday, I found time to cut out the hole in the door and temporary fix it in.I have to make up a hard wood surround for the inside, and a nice alloy trim to go around the outside, all in all should work out well.Thats it for now. Howard

DSC00107.JPG

I managed to fit in some work on the trailer, I got the toilet room all painted out and the cassette toilet fitted, thats another job out of the way. I also got a frame made for the door window, and also got this fitted.Just leaves a new door lock to fit and make up the inner door lining. Howard

DSC00139.JPG

Heres another small update on the semi trailer, I manage to get all of the wiring finished in the trailer today, so all of the 12 volt system is complete. I also got the wiring loom fitted for all of the rear Trailer lights and the high level marker lights. Thats it for now.Howard

Hello Andy Wright

Very good to here from you, and I would be very interested in seeing some pics of this GMC tractor unit and trailer, and also how all of the brakes work from truck to trailer, vaccume i would guess. Thanks Howard.

Heres a bit more of an update. I have now stripped off all of the air brake fittings and these have all been cleaned. I shall test all of these before they are fitted back to the trailer. I have now decided to keep the trailer brakes air over hydrolic as they should be,this way the trailer can be towed by any other tractor unit with air brakes. I have now sourced two types of air compressor that I can fit to my GMC tractor unit, it will either be a self lubricating pump on a bracket driven from the fan belt, a longer belt of course. Or I will install a 12 volt compressor designed for air brakes, I have the air tank for the truck, and I also have the air tank for the trailer.Well thats about it for now will get some pics when installation starts. I have also now completed all of the water plumbing inside the trailer and fitted a new sureflo water pump for the operation.Just in case any body decides to fit a water heater made by carver, be sure to check what pressure they run at mine was 20psi max, and before putting on the new pump I had fitted one that I had on the shelf, this was 60 psi and it kept blowing the pressure valve.Problem now sorted with the correct water pump fitted,its also alot quieter.

Howard

Hello M thanks for that, fingers crossed theres no holes in it. I have found a compressor that will do the job and its not a silly price so I hope to get that ordered tomorrow. Tony should be over first thing to connect all of the air pipes for testing the braking system, and subject to the test it can then be refitted to the trailer.I should be over the Hanger between 11 and 12 might be earlier just see how I get on. Catch you later.

Howard