GMC 352's

An up date on the semi trailer for the truck. All of the alloy sheeting that was inside has been stripped, and I am now left with the wooden frame and the insulation, The woodwork and insulation are not to bad so will be used. I have bought the plywood sheeting to line the inside of the box with.I have also had one of the windows changed from opening inwards to open outwards. There is still a further window to be installed. The work on the plywood lining will be starting tomorrow.Heres a couple of pics of the inside of the trailer, taken with the phone so not that great.

Howard

IMAG0654.jpg

IMAG0655.jpg

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I managed to first fix the low voltage lighting wires and the mains lighting wires in the roof space, and the plywppd ceiling was fitted today and the wires pulled through where needed. I now have to first fix wiring on side walls and then these can be covered with play. Heres one pic of the ceiling.

Howard

IMAG0657.jpg

Quick update on the trailer, all of the first fixing for the wiring is now done.I have also first fixed the new wiring for the marker lights on the side of the trailer. There will be removable panels on the inside of the trailer for each light for access to wire in the new marker lights. The new marker lights will be arriving from the US next Thursday, my sister in law lives in the states and is coming over next week, so thats been well handy. The new ply wood sides are being fitted tomorrow, so on Saturday I hope to fit the sockets and switches, oh yes I have also fitted the exterior socket for the Mains hook up.Well thats it for now on the trailer, try and get some pics of the new ply wood walls tomorrow.

Howard

Heres an update on the semi trailer, The first side wall is now in and also part of one of the end walls, all the electrics are also connected up and the consumer unit is also fitted, and connected to the outside hookup. I ran a test on the wiring and all works as it should to the switchs. I now have to locate some 12 volt lighting units and some mains lighting units.I have also had left in each corner of the wall and inspection hole for getting to the wiring for the marker lights on the outside of the trailer, i have plates to cover the holes,this will prove handy if ever I need to replace a marker light.Work should restart on the other wall next week.I cant hold my hand up for the wood work, a good friend of mine is doing this for me,and what a good job he is doing, but I did do the the electrics. Heres a couple of pics.

Thanks

Howard

IMAG0666.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

IMAG0670.jpg

Hi quick update for the semi trailer, some of the other side wall is now in, and I have a window and frame on order for the front window space, at the moment its just glass, so an opening window will be a lot better.Now waiting for a delivery of some 3/4 ply for some other fixtures.

Howard

Small drip of cold water, but better to mention it now than later.

It is my understanding ( that's a getout clause in case I'm wrong ) that electric brakes have compliance issues here in the UK.

I looked at the subject for my Nolan trailer, but then that is a full trailer rather than semi. I think the semitrailer issue would be that you can adjust / apply the brakes from the drivers seat, where the good old UK government seems to want full automatic brakes. I know you can apply air brakes like that, they just don't seem to like electric ones working that way.

Eventually I'm going to get round this by putting the modern electric brake controller unit actually in the trailer ( and thus not accessible from the drivers seat ) I'll also fit the standard US Army electric trailer brake controller to the dash / column of the tow vehicle, but it will not be wired to work. I thought I'd mention that now, before you hook up everything, but of course it's down to you. Probably worth a compliance check before you absolutely finalise the trailer brakes though.

Gordon

Hello Gordon

With reference to the brakes, I was going to fit one of the in cab controllers but hide it, just so it didnt look out of place, the power for the brakes would come from an inline battery on the trailer, and the system would also have the safety brake away switch so if the trailer did become detached then the brakes would come on automatically. I was not aware that they could not be used here, but then again I did not go into it.Thats really the only option I have anyway, I have used these before and never had an issue, but thanks for the information.

All the best

Howard

I had these black and white pics of GMC tractor units with semi trailers sent to me, thought you all might like a look. I would like to know how they had there braking system hooked up to the trailer. note one of units is a winch model, the fuel tanks are all in the same place, and looks like a spare wheel behind the cab.Looks like there are some sort of straps or something coming from the top rear of the cab going down towards the spare wheel.

Howard

gmc track1.jpg

GMCtrack2.jpg

gmctrack3.jpg

Edited by HWade

6 wheel drive and a driven axle on the trailer! :drive:

Are these photos of the units made up in Oz? Looks like they made the trailers too out of bits. Or maybe they were experimenting with a driven trailer - difficult to make out if there is a propshaft on it, but in which case how are they taking the drive from the bogie?

Edited by N.O.S.

Hello N.O.S

Yes you could well be right, the axles certainly look like old truck axles, just wondered if the trailer in the middle pic is based on an old truck chassis. who knows I have sent a message to the sender of the pics to see were they came from.

Howard

Just got two more pics.Even though I say so myself I think the rear mudguards I have fitted on my unit definitely finish off the rear of the truck, even though they did not have them on them.

Howard

gmc track5.jpg

gmc track6.jpg

Edited by HWade

Hello Skeggy

Many thanks for that, I think reading all that info, that I will be ok with the braking system, only down fall is going to be the parking brake,it does not have one. But again I think i can sort this out to.

Many thanks

Howard

Hello Hanno

Thats a nice looking truck and semi trailer, got to admit the early trailers that are rounded on the ends do look the part.I do have another picture of this set up from a different angle, but its nice to see different pics, you can never have to many of those.

Thanks Howard

After considering weather or not to put a spare carrier on the back of the tractor unit I have decided to add one, I was concerned it might spoil the look of the rear of the truck, sad I know but I just love seeing the back of the cab.Its not often you get to see the entire closed cab, however after a good measure up I have fabricated a spare wheel holder that wont impose to much on the rear of the cab, I have built it so it bolts down through the boards and chassis rail, so it will have a good fixing. The spare wheel is held onto the holder with two large studs and butterfly nuts.I may well get a canvas cover made to tidy it right up, but thats an extra for later.

Heres a pic of what I have fabricated up, part of the holder came off another GMC I am braking for spares.Sorry about the pic taken with my phone always give the impression its a misty day.

Howard.

IMAG0696.jpg

Hello Vulture

Thanks for that, I managed to get the headling fitted in the cab today, bit of a sod to fit, but its come out ok, I still have the sides of the lining to fix down but I have to fit the door seal at the same time as this is sandwiched between the inside of the cab and a metal trim. I take a pic at some time.

Cheers Howard

Not really a great deal to say but I did get the tool tray made up and painted and fitted, it just bolts in behind the electrics box behind the spare wheel, I will get a pic tomorrow, thought this tray would be handy for wheel brace, jack ect.Just got to make a small canvas cover for it.

Howard

IMAG0722.jpg

Edited by HWade

I have now managed to finish off the rubber seals on both doors, so thats another small job out of the way.I have also got all of the data plates fitted in. well thats about it for now.keep you posted on other jobs carried out.

Howard