Concrete armour

Never seen a Sherman with that before! I know some Stugs had some cast either side of the mantlet area.

Magnetic mines? Doubt it, you wouldn't tend to run up to a tank and try and slap one onto its glacis plate. Would it have any effect on Panzerfausts?

It is fairly common for point tanks in battalions without an M4A3E2 available purely to contact detonate hollow charge panzerfaust style weapons. It is about the nicest job I've seen but othe photos exist for example page 319 of Sherman by Hunnicutt unfortunately scanner not on line at the moment.

As mentioned previously a pic of an M4105 howitzer tank getting a facial , the tank in post 1 has the concrete restricted to the main glacis leaving the pannier section of the glacis exposed -whether this was to allow retention of lights and lift lugs or to save weight on the front suspension units in a 76mm gun tank (which is already nose heavy) is conjecture but it would significantly reduce the effectiveness of the proceedure- Panzer faust because of the nature tend to be fired from the flank rather than front on -although there is evidence for a few shooters firing straight at an advancing tank- probably shortly before they were squashed:nut:

img015a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

With all those types of additional armour (sandbags, concrete, tracks etc.) I wonder if there is evidence it actually helped?

Any proof of tanks surviving a hit because of these improvised extra armour?