Ferret starter motor

ferret

Question

4 answers to this question

Hi, Does anyone know how to remove ferret starter motor? Mine is sticking so needs repair. can get on to the bolts but no space to turn! do I need to remove petrol tank? Engine? Etc :?

Christopher,

I have changed a good number of these and providing a gorilla has not tightened the three bolts holding the starter on, it is relatively straight forward. First take the engine deck off and then disconnect the batteries.

The exhaust elbows should be removed from the manifolds, the gaskets will have to be renewed. The crankcase beather pipe above the starter can get in the way so best remove it, also disconnect tacho cable. Remove the three cables from starter.

Now, always do the awkward lower bolt first, if you get a combination spanner and cut it in half or there abouts, it will allow you more movement, although the initial pull may be difficult. With a piece of webbing strap or similar around the starter to support it, you will be able to manhandle it without crushing your hand underneath it.

Repeat procedure for refitting. It is as easy as that :wink:

Richard

Late autumn 1976, 01EC28 would not start for me while our Troop was deployed to the UN outpost at the mine at Skouriotissa in Western Cyprus, high in the Troudos Mountains near the western end of the Green Line.

Each troop had a REME VMA attached to keep the Ferrets rolling. Ours diagnosed a faulty starter motor and ordered a replacement to be shipped out from Force Reserve Squadron HQ in Nicosia. While he awaited its arrival, he started to prep, by removing the starter motor.

As you have read by now, this was a non-trivial task, especially since there were no lifting facilities available. Three bolts mounted the starter to the floor of the engine compartment. This particular Ferret was blessed with the early, small, inspection hatches under the engine. It was just about possible to get a OJDE spanner (9/16" AF IIRC?) through the hatch but it was impossible to get the spanner to locate onto the bolts as there was no room.

The VM cut his spanner up (no simple task in itself and set to work). I spelled him once or twice, but essentially he spent the night with his arm deep inside the ferret handling its nuts.

By morning the new starter motor was available and the next 6 hours were spent putting it back. (No engine lift involved, remember.) By mid-afternoon, we were ready to go. Turned on the master switch and hit the big black button ... still it turned over but still it made no attempt to start the engine. It was decided the Ferret needed to be returned to Nicosia for further investigation.

Luckily our billet was in an engineer's house at the top of a ramp. With Troop Leader in turret (there was an Officers Mess function, so he had a great excuse to travel, especially since it was his vehicle), the troop push started the Ferret down this ramp just as it was getting dark.

The UN's record journey time between Skouriotissa and Nicosia had been set in an airportable Landrover at 34 minutes. We did it in the dark, over muddy mountain tracks in 45. The REME sent in the big boys and by morning 01EC28 was fit again.

The problem? During our patrol that morning, we'd hit a rock whilst navigating a narrow track through a minefield. The right-hand battery had become dislodged and shorted out on the battery box. While it was running, everything was well, but as soon as the engine was stopped, 12 volts were never going to be enough to turn it over.

Those muddy tracks were fun on 12 voltsworth of light through a 24 volt system ...

So it is possible to change a Ferret starter motor without a pack-lift - I was there, but I think the consensus is that it isn't worth the effort.