WW1 Water Cart

Horse Transport

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice to see this old equipment hooked up to a horse. Thanks for posting the pics. Really brings it to life! What was the event? Looks like a large crowd.

I used to work for Land Rover here in the States and had occasion to be at a lot of events. At one in the early '90s there were two Suffolk Punch draft horses putting on a demonstration of how they were used for logging in Virginia. Somebody posed the question of whether the horses could put out more drawbar pull than a SWB Land Rover. One thing led to another and soon the horses and a Rover were engaged in a tug of war. To everyone's amazement, the horses won several "heats" handily. I did see some money changing hands and it was evident the horse owner had enriched himself on previous occasions. Some people were concerned about the horses getting injured, but the owner said they were very well trained and had played this trick on many occasions. He claimed that because of leverage and training, these horses could put out more drawbar pull that their weight, versus a fairly light vehicle that can turn only a portion of it's weight into pull (a 3500 lbs. vehicle I saw tested could only produce 1800 lbs of drawbar pull, for example).

A certain International Australian show jumper used to win his beer money by jumping his horse over tractors. Till someone pulled out a Ford World master series. :-D Two Series 3 109's were part of a jump at the Burghley international horse trials a few years back. The hoop over the back of the Horse Ambulance is intresting. It is for slinging a horse if it has a leg injury and can't stand. I had a modified Rice trailer with a similar attachment. You need at least a three ton working load to deal with a big horse, allowing for the horse to kick and move.

A certain International Australian show jumper used to win his beer money by jumping his horse over tractors. Till someone pulled out a Ford World master series. :-D Two Series 3 109's were part of a jump at the Burghley international horse trials a few years back. The hoop over the back of the Horse Ambulance is intresting. It is for slinging a horse if it has a leg injury and can't stand. I had a modified Rice trailer with a similar attachment. You need at least a three ton working load to deal with a big horse, allowing for the horse to kick and move.

Hi Tony

Thats exactly what it is for ,supporting the weight of the horse in transit

Regards

Nige

I presume these were taken at Singleton last weekend 26/7 May? My parents were there with a small display of lead farm horse drawn and animals by Britains etc. My mum took a few pictures of the Military horse drawn but they didn't come out too good. They really enjoyed this display though, something different.

I presume these were taken at Singleton last weekend 26/7 May? My parents were there with a small display of lead farm horse drawn and animals by Britains etc. My mum took a few pictures of the Military horse drawn but they didn't come out too good. They really enjoyed this display though, something different.

Yes this was where they were taken , kind regards

Nigel

These are marvellous photos. Were many of the horse ambulances made? It is quite a remarkable survivor.

Hi Tim,

I know of one other in good state, one earlier one rotting in Surrey and one rotting away in a pub garden in Kent !

they survived as they were used as cattle carts by farmers after the war ,

Kind regards

Nige

• 3 weeks later...
Just found this interesting link about WW1 carts while looking for WW2 water Bowsers. http://www.thequeensown.com/Watercart%20history.htm

Yes it is an interesting article!

Largely my work with different photos.

Compare & contrast

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/ARMYWATERSUPPLY.pdf

I don't know who RWK is to claim copyright in 2011 but I wrote my article which was published in Windscreen

Spring edition 2006 No.110 clearly marked as my copyright & also it is marked on the HMVF article as my copyright. I haven't read RWKs piece fully as I am fuming. I need to calm down before I make an approach to the website.

I haven't calmed down. I have emailed the site:

Dear Sirs

I am very disturbed to find an article on your site about water carts marked "Copyright RWK 2011" which seems to be my work with some changed photographs.

My original article was published in Windscreen being the magazine of the Military Vehicle Trust in the Spring 2006 edition No. 110. It was clearly marked as my copyright and so is the article posted in pdf on HMVF.

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/ARMYWATERSUPPLY.pdf

I am not averse to my material being used on another site or publication if I am asked and acknowledgement given, but I find the claiming of copyright of my work wholly unacceptable.

I look forward to hearing what you intend to do to correct this.

Clive,

That's very annoying and insulting. I've had the same thing happen to me with original research. Sadly the Internet is full of these 'cut and paste' merchants nicking everyone else's hard work and glibly passing it off as their own.

I'll be interested to see what response (if any) you get from these thieves.

Regards

Paul

Paul, I've had an unreserved apology & a promise to remove it. I don't necessarily want it removed, I just don't like someone claiming my work as their own. I notice quite a lot of articles I see that have turns of phrase that I recognise as mine & snippets of info I have gleaned that are unlikely to have come from another source particularly when viewed with the phraseology.

But it has been so blatant & with a naivety that is staggering. They must have surely thought someone would spot it sooner or later. I notice they have had difficulty lifting it from the pdf as the font size & formatting changes quite a bit throughout the piece.

Funnily enough I was speaking to someone at Evesham yesterday who is ex-regiment & his role was to source water & treat it for desert ops & exercises. He says he is also chuffed to read the article as people don't always appreciate how crucial his role was to provide a clean water supply as it is so fundamental to any military endeavour.

Clive,

Pleased to hear that you have recognition of your excellent work and I hope their apology was fulsome! Absolutely right about the importance of water supply and the difficulty and danger of getting it to those that needed it.

One of the Bedford water trucks of 43rd Recce was ambushed by a German patrol and its driver Trooper Booth was killed. Even that job was not without risk.

Regards

Paul

Edited by 43rdrecce

• 4 years later...

DSC_0097.jpg

Just incase some of you missed this as I posted this on another thread.I found this in a tumbled down shed local to me whilst on the hunt for lorry parts .I`ll be interested if anybody can shine some light on the writing on the end of the tank.I have the broken piece of horse shaft which is just a case of gluing back together .Educated guess in that its pre 1915 as it was originally khaki then green then brown.The pink is the original wood primer coat.

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg