WW1 Water Cart

Horse Transport

Hi Brass Cleaner !

Yup its the tank and hoops from a great war Cart Water Tank ,do you own it ? is it in use and can you senda photo from the back end please well done !

Nige

Nothing to do with me, it belongs to a Shropshire oil baron who is restoring it to go behind his traction engine.

I'll ask for a picture from the back for you.

The Plate will be copied on Wednesday and the copy fitted as with the GS Wagons ive done, Only because as with the one that was on the "Fromelles" wagon they get stolen hence why the "Fromelles" Wagon has a copy of mine when the wagon is actually a Metro Built wagon i renumbered the plate E 190710 ! keep a eye out for those pumps lads and filters too !

Nige

What is the diameter across the wheel treads so that I can scale the pumps from the drawing? Also, what are the pumps doing? Are they sucking up water from anywhere convenient and pushing it through the filters or am I completely misreading them? It looks as if a suction hose might screw onto the bottom end.

Steve

Re the scale, i have a original pump mounting bracket (and 2 new ones) the bracket can be seen in both photos the holes that take the fixing bolts are 4 1/4 inches on center ! the wheels are 54 inches the old photo blows up clear if you down load it and you can see the pumps fixed to this bracket type in a horizontal postion and not vertical as per most drawings and photos

kindest regards Nige

water cart17.JPG

WATER CART 4.jpg

Hi Steve,

The pumps had inlet hoses on them that as you correctly stated were thrown into a nearby water supply stream etc these had a float on them and a rose the water was then pumped up with the cranked t handle as per the drawing and photos,

through the bottom of the pump body and out the top into and through the filters before ending up clean in the tank itself !

Kind Regards

Nige

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wondering about the pump used on this Water Cart. It does look of a similar design to the Differential pumps used on WWII Bowsers, is it possible that as it worked in 1918, the same pump design was carried on into 1940's?

Anyway, below is a cut away drawing of the 1940's vintage Differential Pump with pressure relief valve, could be used to make a pattern for your Water Cart:

Differential Pump  WO5460 1949 (Medium).JPG

Edited by cordenj