Cleaning 1940s packs

Centurion

Hi

I have a pair of British 1940s marked motorcycle panniers (or the may be large packs converted) either way they have been on the bike some time and are covered in road grime/mud etc. I want to clean them but dont want them to fall apart in the process.

I had thought about putting them in an old pillow case and sticking them in the washer with non bio washing powder. Any thoughts or suggestions I obviously dont want to destroy the makers naqme and date stamp or have them fall apart due to the cleaning process.

Cheers

Centurion

I'd suggest using a non detegent cleaner. My old refrain, the Nikwax range have various cleaners for down and Gortex type fabrics. If you do decide to use a detergent, hand wash and, add a dash of vegtable oil. That is an old trick used to wash the original 'JERSEY' oiled wool seaman's sweaters. It stops the fabric drying out to much. Start with lukewarm water. To hot and you can set the stains.

• 3 weeks later...

This will sound harsh, but I've put dirty heavily blanco'd webbing in the washing machine on a 95 setting (max) with no ill effects. I wouldn't risk it with anything with nice dates, but otherwise there's no risk.

Also, I've jetwashed the same, cold power washer outside, fetches all the crap off.

Thanks for the help. I went for the softer option and whilst they are now clean the colour is faded to say the least and because they are from 2 different makers 2 years apartthey are different colours. I dont really expect to get them both the same colour but is there any product that will re colour them. Would canvas paint do the job?

Cheers Centurion