Land rover gs rover 8

mogmaner

Yes the heater is very odd yet seams to have been very well thourt out with the heater rad on the engine bay side of the bulkhead ,the heater rad is probly 5 or 6 times larger than the one on my 90 ,so would have been very worm in the cab.Could it have been an early form of arctic heater.?

• 10 months later...
Talking military 88" (excluding Lightweights).

Rover 6 = S2

Rover 8 = S2A

Rover 10 (early) = S2A is more or less like a Rover 8 , except individual wiper motors go and are replaced with a single wiper motor (best clue for non-rivet counter). It retains the inverted "T" grille mesh and deep sills.

Rover 10 (late) = S2A a very rare vehicle, this has the Maltese Cross grille mesh and shallow sills . Let me know with photographs when you find one..

Hello Ruxy, I have just joined HMVC and was browsing the forums to try and and find out what LR I have just bought. It is a 1970 series 2A with headlights in the wing and 24 volts with an awful lot of electrics. It also has connections for batteries in the rear. I do not know if it is FFR or not. Is this what you are looking for? If so I will take more photos including the plate and send them to you. Regards Paulseries 2A.jpg

Hello Ruxy, I have just joined HMVC and was browsing the forums to try and and find out what LR I have just bought. It is a 1970 series 2A with headlights in the wing and 24 volts with an awful lot of electrics. It also has connections for batteries in the rear. I do not know if it is FFR or not. Is this what you are looking for? If so I will take more photos including the plate and send them to you. Regards Paul[ATTACH=CONFIG]62107[/ATTACH]

Yes , if you could post a few more photographs , inc. if extant - the nomenclature plate showing Contract number etc.

A late Rover 10 , 88" would look very similar from front (without winch) , it would NOT have the plastic finisher trims around the headlamps as military FV headlamp units were fitted.

Yes , if you could post a few more photographs , inc. if extant - the nomenclature plate showing Contract number etc.

A late Rover 10 , 88" would look very similar from front (without winch) , it would NOT have the plastic finisher trims around the headlamps as military FV headlamp units were fitted.

OK, am visiting both LRs this weekend so will take more photos and post Monday.

Hello, I have just returned from climbing all over my LR, funny how you only discover new things after you have bought it.

First thing , everything is written in German, all instructions, switches etc. ( I cant speak German!). I have looked at the plate under the bonnet there is a number 244 38 801G Type 88P BGS. On the plate on the bulkhead it says 88 Series 2A and a number 244 38801-G. The LR has a military rear crossmember and a boltable gearbox cross member. There is a series 3 brake servo fitted and also a different tow hook. The rear battery box is still there. The LR has twin tanks. I have taken a number of photos to try and show a bit more detail, small disaster with all the id plates as all out of focus I will try again next weekend.

If it is OK with you, I would like to start a new thread to see if anyone can shed some light as top what the LR is. Regards Paul[ATTACH=CONFIG]62185[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62186[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62187[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62188[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62189[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62190[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62191[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62192[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62193[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62194[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62195[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62196[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62197[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62198[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62199[/ATTACH]

Sorry messed up the pictures

Picture 011_rLand Rover.jpg

Picture 002_rLand Rover.jpg

Picture 016_rLand Rover.jpg

Picture 003_rLand Rover.jpg

Picture 005_rLand Rover.jpg

Picture 009_rLand Rover.jpg

• 7 years later...

I know this thread is old and I don't know if anyone will be notified in this but I noticed that a few people here seem to like FFR Land Rovers. I have recently got one in quite bad condition (new half chassis, doors, rear side panels etc.). Someone has already done some work on it including bad welding and a bad paint job. I was thinking about converting it to 12V because I don't have any particular inspiration to take it back to its military heritage. I am going to use it as a daily when it is fixed up and I'm not bothered about originality (fitting more comfortable seats and belts). Just wanted other people's thoughts on this because I do appreciate the military heritage. Also if I do convert it would anyone be interested in the 24V parts and toast rack grill... . Please bare in mind it would be a good few months/ years before I got round to ripping them out. It needs a full tear down anyway. Thanks for any response.

On 1/7/2020 at 3:30 PM, Malcolm R said:

I know this thread is old and I don't know if anyone will be notified in this but I noticed that a few people here seem to like FFR Land Rovers. I have recently got one in quite bad condition (new half chassis, doors, rear side panels etc.). Someone has already done some work on it including bad welding and a bad paint job. I was thinking about converting it to 12V because I don't have any particular inspiration to take it back to its military heritage. I am going to use it as a daily when it is fixed up and I'm not bothered about originality (fitting more comfortable seats and belts). Just wanted other people's thoughts on this because I do appreciate the military heritage. Also if I do convert it would anyone be interested in the 24V parts and toast rack grill... . Please bare in mind it would be a good few months/ years before I got round to ripping them out. It needs a full tear down anyway. Thanks for any response.

Limited market for  'Toastie' era   ,   if the main machines (starter motor & genny) are serviceable , you may wish to retain 24 volt (2 x 12 volt) batteries  , dispose of the 24 volt genny  loom etc. etc. for simplicity  (24 volt starter motors are OK) , you could fit a cheap used 12 volt alternator at normal nearside location and a second additional 12 volt alternator on a high level bracket above.   Lots of options ,  keep the CAV  DZ dizzy but remove the anaconda flex shielded wires  and silicone cement 12 volt std. civvy HT wire set to the cap to enable cheap 12 volt spark plugs to be used.  A swop of a 25D or 45D Lucas dizzy (or Chinese contact set/electronic copy 45D)  - is not quite so simple.   At least the DZ is quality and all centrifugal advance so you don't need a vacuum pipe from carburettor.  Dispose of the Ign coil and filter for standard 12 volt Ign.  coil.    You can for simplicity and at no £ cost  maintain all 24 volt services as/is  -  inc. the main bulkhead harness.   It is not just a matter of swopping out 24 volt bulbs.   To go direction of a 12 volt civvy. spec. harness  from AutoSparks  along with all normal civvy spec. 12 volt stuff   - that would be totally top $ to do the best of jobs ,  seems the base vehicle value does not warrant such investment.

Several ways to go about this conversion, main objective normally is to get away from the normal 24v genny on to what is better understood , along with cheap £  common spark plugs.

10 hours ago, Malcolm R said:

Thanks very much Ruxy. I guess I'll have to see how much work needs done to everything else and decide from there how much time and money I want to throw at it. You've given me a lot to think about. Thanks for the help.

You are not far from me if you want to look at my 110 Tithounous?, need to give it a run one weekend

Edited by Surveyor

On 1/14/2020 at 7:58 AM, Surveyor said:

You are not far from me if you want to look at my 110 Tithounous?, need to give it a run one weekend

Hi, sorry I took so long to reply. I thought I had email notifications on but I guess not😆. That sounds great if we could arrange it for some point in the future. I am extremely busy with exams and other things for the next few weeks. Hopefully some point in the future.

11 hours ago, Malcolm R said:

Hi, sorry I took so long to reply. I thought I had email notifications on but I guess not😆. That sounds great if we could arrange it for some point in the future. I am extremely busy with exams and other things for the next few weeks. Hopefully some point in the future.

PM sent

Hi Baltik

The numbers you quoted from your Landrover included the letters BGS.  The (West) German Bundesgrenzschutz used landrovers - many made under licence by Tempo.  I was not aware that they used such modern(ish) models as yours, but perhaps this was a model proposed by LR for the BGS, which would explain the German labelling;  perhaps the germans then decided not to order them and used something home grown instead,  Funny colour for BGS though.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hi Chris, Sorry for the very late reply.Since the pics were taken  8 years ago ( seems like yesterday,) the project has moved on . I have stripped it down to chassis and am in the process of a full rebuild . This summer I hope to have rolling chassis. As for the colour, It was owned for a while by a German off road guy who decided to give it a quick spray job !!! So a lot of sanding is required.Apart from that everything is original  except for the tow hook which I lost.The problem I have at the moment is that when I stripped it down I took photos of all wiring 24v with my phone and then lost the phone so at some point I will need a kind soul to guide me through. If you wish I can post pics of the rebuild..  Regards  Paul