KingTiger Restoration Prospects?

I agree with what andy says, everyone wishes to have there favorte Tank restored and running but in the real world it costs alot more than we can affored. May be one day it will happen. Personaly I would like to see a British WW1 tank restored to a running example but that will not happen.

Al

For a WW1 tank - I suspect what with metal fatigue etc. it would be easier/more cost effective to build one from scratch.

This is really interesting technology, I myself am just finishing a Software Engineering Degree and have seen this sort of technology at work.

Also an interesting case-study.

Cheers,

Joel

If you are interested in how that scanning process works try having a word with the Virtual manufacturing department of the Ford Motor Company Joel. We used that to make precise 3D layouts of the European assembly plans about 5 years ago. Took around a month to scan each plant running 24 x7 and that included all the pipework and light fittings, not just walls and stanchions. The components of a gearbox or even an entire tank interior would be comparatively easy compared to that job.

I know of that affair, but I think it is not really relevant here other than what original parts were scanned for reproduction. If they made a few for themselves it would be possible to make more for other Tiger II operators.

Maybe the Tank Museum can make a deal with the Wheatcroft Collection if it turns out they have scanned parts the museum also needs for a restoration to running condition.

Greetz ;)

David

Sorry Dingo - just removed your post for legal reasons. Drop me a PM if you have any worries.

Best wishes,

Jack.

I think it is important for collectors, museum staff etc to be aware that this actually happened.

Someone</SPAN> stole very rare and valuable items from a state museum in order to enrich himself and to help a private collector to get items almost impossible to get hold of.

Knowing</SPAN> about this incident can hopefully prevent other museums or collectors experiencing similar - or am I wrong?

It was already discussed at some length on HMVF when it was 'in the news' a few months back.

My main worry is that in the future museums may be even more reluctant to lend items to collectors for fear of them going missing or loosing valuable parts.

No problems - in-fact I was just reading a transcript of a very interesting talk carried out by David Fletcher, the Tank Museums Historian.

E1994.81_Sd%20Kfz%20182%20Pz%20Kpfw%20VI%20ausf%20H%20Tiger%20II_Tankfest%20weekend_25%20June%202006_7028-417.jpg

The Henschel Turreted Version:

• It served with the 101st SS Heavy Tank Battalion east of the Seine, commanded by one Sepp Franzel.
  • On the 29th of 30th of August 1944 the Tank suffered track damage; the crew tried to manoeuvre it but succeeded only in ruining the gearbox.
  • They abandoned it and it was then spotted by SGT Roberts of the 23rd Hussars in a Sherman: not knowing that it was no threat, he his its right hand side with three shots whose damage is still quite evident.
  • The hulk remained there for a year until it was retrieved by a REME detachment.
  • It spent some time at RMCS Shrivernham but since its arrival at Bovington it has suffered further minor damage but enthusiasts who collect Zimmerit.

E1952.33_Sd%20Kfz%20182%20Panzerkampfwagen%20VI%20Ausf%20B_King%20Tiger%20p1.jpg

The Porshe Turreted Version:

• Our exhibit was in service with Heeres Waffenprufungamt (Army Ordnance Testing Department), Sennelager, Germany
  • This Konigstiger is the second vehicle of the trials series of three and has the Porsche/Krupp designed turret which was replaced after the first fifty production models by the improved Henschel design.
  • It was accepted for trials at Sennelager in January 1944 and was not intended to issue to the troops.
  • It was discovered at Sennelager at the end of the war and sent to the School of Tank Technology.

Many Thanks,

Joel

Edited by The Tank Museum

Thanks for that, I really am going to plan a visit, a work colleage took a long weekend in Dorset just a week ago and said the Tank Museum was tremendus, that is coming from someone who has no real interests in that kind of thing.

Is the Henschel KingTiger totally stripped internally when the engine and gearbox were removed or is it largely untouched?

The Henschel Turreted Version:

• They abandoned it and it was then spotted by SGT Roberts of the 23rd Hussars in a Sherman: not knowing that it was no threat, he his its right hand side with three shots whose damage is still quite evident.

Would you believe I think I may have just read an account of this action in the acclaimed "The Black Bull From Normandy to the Baltic with the 11th Armoured Division" by Patrick Delaforce which coincidentally I bought at Bovvy a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/?product_id=2501

Actually come to think of it, it may have been another action about the same time involving my old regiment 15th/19th Hussars who were also 11 Armd Div, but because I am at work I cannot verify either way.

Would the Kingtiger at La Gleize offer any drive train components, or is it internally stripped / damaged?

Those Swiss photos of the restoration are very interesting, thanks for the link.

I seen it 2 years ago.

I got under the engine bay to find it leaking oil and some internal damage.

Maybe someone tried to damage / ruin the engine?

Ardennen2009294Small.jpg

Ardennen2009296Small.jpg

• 8 months later...

Remember both the Americans and the Russians think they won the war without help, so both might think they "deserve" a running Tiger in their museums?

jch

Sad but true, though only amongst the morons. I was happy to see WWII history from the Brit perspective while watching Sky while stationed in Germany. I'm happy to include myself among the enlightened especially since my father was on an LST that landed Canucks on the beach at Normandy.

I seen it 2 years ago.

I got under the engine bay to find it leaking oil and some internal damage.

Maybe someone tried to damage / ruin the engine?

As the damage peels outwards it looks as though the engine decided to eject an internal component!

Andy