Vehicle NAMES and 'CAB ART'

N.O.S.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Bit of a coincidence - I thought that name (Freckleton) was familiar, there's been a group of Liberator crash photos on Ebay for months now , school was demolished.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/freckleton-school-2ww-usaaf-liberator-crash-photo-file-/200498479306?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2eaea400ca

they were on last year mate ,

many years ago went to the states and saw how our US cousins were into painted leather jackets. Found out later it was from war birds painted with " cab art" and air crew having jackets painted to suit. The idea was adopted by Hells angels after a famous air crew i believe. What ever i decided i liked the idea of putting something on our trucks.Hence forth all our trucks had a name or slogan. Fast forward just found this pic on internet never seen it before its one of our trucks on the front wind deflector is a slogan i got of the back of a bikers jacket at a bikers rally in Helmsley NY " LIFE IS A BED OF ROSES SO WATCH OUT FOR PRICKS"

img112.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some named vehicles in the photo collection Bernard's just posted (http://vmartois.forumactif.fr/t448-photos-en-vrac), mainly just stencilled capitals and mostly on tanks; I spotted 'Dillinger', 'Finalist', 'Dingbat', 'Cupid', 'Agnes IV' (half track; wonder what happened to the other three - IV was missing the front axle!), 'Ink Spots', 'Snookie' (on a Weasel), 'Mid-Forceps' (on a medic half-track), 'Chemin Des Dames' (??? - some letters obscured) and 'Romilly'

• 1 month later...
one in colour...........

Not seen that picture before very nice, 327 glider Inf. One of my old school teachers back in the 1960's won a Bronze star at Bastogne with that unit. He married a local Newbury girl and returned to the area to settle down. I'm guessing the photo is taken in the Alps at the end of the war?

Pete

Not seen that picture before very nice, 327 glider Inf. One of my old school teachers back in the 1960's won a Bronze star at Bastogne with that unit. He married a local Newbury girl and returned to the area to settle down. I'm guessing the photo is taken in the Alps at the end of the war?

Pete

The Ike jackets support the 1945 date.