Ex M.O.D. No1 burner (petrol cooker)

mistericeman

Having a small selection of ex M.O.D. cookers ...

2 of No5 (propane powered 5 burner field cooker)

1 of No2 (petrol powered single burner cooker)

1 of No3 (petrol powered double burner cooker)

And 1 No1 (petrol powered Jet engine)

And having just sold a ex Swiss army Benzin Kocher (petrol powered 2 burner)

I Bought one of these just before Xmas ....

No1burner001.jpg

No1burner005.jpg

No1burner010.jpg

No1burner015.jpg

Had chance to light it the other night (now the weathers getting warmer )

And it's fun fun fun :D:D:D

Hi Ian, good to see you here for a change :D

Brilliant FFR shots, really do it justice, well done man.

My German-ebay Benzinkocher is performing amazingly well, what a beast, pot-stand and an iron skillet over it, absolutely brilliant!!! Fry-ups and girdle scones no bother!! :cheesy:

Bought myself a No.1 Burner short ago as well, its sitting in sheffield awaiting a mate heading north to take it up. Then the eyebrow-losing ceremony can begin :nut:

Alec.

Cheers for that Alec ....

Glad you are lovvin the Benzinkocher ....Ideal for a wok too ....stirfrytastic,

Please let me know how you fare with the No1 ...they really are an impressive bit of kit (IF a little wilder than the Benzin lol)

We (Old leaf sprung landrover...OLLR.net) are off camping to North Wales in May,and are camping at Shell island

http://www.shellisland.co.uk/

Which is mainly on sand ....Thus ideal for digging a trench in and firing up the ....

well you can guess the rest mate.I'll get some pictures i promise .

As Armourers in Service, One of the MANY tasks under the juresdiction of the Armourer. was to repair & service Petrol cookers & Hurricane Lanterns. (As well as HUGE amount of other Equipment, Not just weapons!) When testing No.1 Burners, we got bored at times & had great 'Fun' turning them into Flame throwers! We would Remove the cast Iron 'X' diffuser plate at the end. (The Casting that the petrol Jet 'Shoots' out against) The Petrol Will Shoot out quite a distance! Chuck a lighted rag into this jet & woomf!! A flame thrower! :cool2:

One of many Stupid & Dangerous 'Activities' that we used to get upto as 'Bored Squaddies'! :-D (PS: WE ALWAYS had a Fire Extinguisher on hand, JUST in case!)

Disclaimer: this post is for informative info ONLY, & is NOT Intended for Readers to imitate WHATSOEVER! :-X

Warning! Do NOT try to Emulate this sort of Behaviour!

It IS Dangerous & Foolhardy, IF, you dont know what you are doing!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Got the No1 burner home, its in very good general condition! Result! :D

Now, there are three valves that I can see:

The first on the top is self explanatory, an isolation valve for the pump inlet.

A valve at the lower rear of the unit - isolation valve for fuel flow from the reservoir???

A valve on the side, behind the burner assembly with a directional arrow on it - ???

The pump is ineffective, must strip and rebuild it, is it a large cork cup seal a-la primus style?

Anyone have a manual or exploded parts diagram?

I take it spare parts are unobtainable for these units, but apart from a few standard seals here and there and possibly jets there appears to be little that can go wrong.

Alec.

ps, anyone lost eyebrows from these monsters........ :laugh:

Got the No1 burner home, its in very good general condition! Result! :D

Now, there are three valves that I can see:

The first on the top is self explanatory, an isolation valve for the pump inlet.

A valve at the lower rear of the unit - isolation valve for fuel flow from the reservoir???

A valve on the side, behind the burner assembly with a directional arrow on it - ???

The pump is ineffective, must strip and rebuild it, is it a large cork cup seal a-la primus style?

Anyone have a manual or exploded parts diagram?

I take it spare parts are unobtainable for these units, but apart from a few standard seals here and there and possibly jets there appears to be little that can go wrong.

Alec.

ps, anyone lost eyebrows from these monsters........ :laugh:

Using the word "exploded" in reference to a no. 1 burner is, to say the least, tempting fate to the extreme! :shocked:

Never seen lost eyebrows - but have seen lots of things singed quite a lot by inattention on the apart of the cookies!! :-D :-D

[The pump is ineffective, must strip and rebuild it, is it a large cork cup seal a-la primus style?

The Pump is VERY simple once the internals are removed. Its a LEATHER cup seal. GREASE it & reinsert. Should work OK. It is does not. Remove seal, Flattern it a bit & reassemble & it should NOW work!

There is a soft soldered 'plug' on the pressure vessel. this a safety plug that will blow out when the vessel begins to overpressure. shouldnt be a problem. You can also fill the pressure vessel with an airline. But be CAREFULL & keep your eyes on the pressure gauge. Very simple & a redline on it to tell you what NOT to fill it upto! Any probs, pots them & I will see what I can remember! :D

I did a 120psi pneumatic test first (that was its hydraulic test pressure, thought I would check the seals!), and snooped everything, tight as a drum :-D

Cleaned/rebuilt the pump (caked in crud), and got the cup seal softened/lubricated with vaseline (ooh err :shocked:), pumps like a good un!

I put a gallon in and pumped it up to 40psi (60 is maximum working pressure by the plate)

First firing was a success, top valve is the vessel vent, rear valve is the feed to the vapouriser, after about 5 minutes it settled down to a nice blue flame. I assume when the unit is running, the vapouriser back-pressurises the tank to maintain a nominal pressure? The pressure only dropped about 5psi during my 20-min test, I assumed this was a drop until the unit warmed up. After about 15 mins it started cutting out and had to be re-lit with a taper, almost as if the vapouriser was getting too hot....

The valve on the side seemed to have no effect though, any idea of its purpose?

It seems to turn through about 60 degrees, and looks like its for adjustment with your toe!!

I had thought it was maybe a mixture adjustment initially but that didn't really make sense.....

Can anyone remember the setting-up procedure and running adjustments?

I opened the back valve and gave it full banana, is this ok or is it adjusted during running?

I like this beast, wonder if it could run on heating oil............ :cool2:

Any assistance much appreciated, eyebrow count still at two. :cheesy:

Alec

As I remember, they were fairly simple to opperate. You added the juice, pumped upto pressure. Opened fuel flow valve a little & tossed a bit if lighted material into the jet of fuel at the Diffuser 'X' plate casting.

WOOMPF! & she SHOULD be running. You will find that you WILL have to keep topping up the pressure during use, periodicaly. Keep it as high as you can, as it uses up the pressure to drive the fuel out, it will inevitably drop. Sometimes they will sputter, this is due to crud from inside the vessel clogging the jet. it will usually clear itself, but if not. A strip down & wash out the vessel with clean Petrol & all metal componants will suffice. a SINGLE metal strand from a good wire brush utilised in the field will clean out the jet hole. Be CAREFULL though! you ONLY want to clean the crud from the jet hole & NOT enlarge the hole with the wire strand! :nut:

2nd test and its performing better, cleaned the jet and the passageways out.........

Limiting the fuel through the needle valve seems to control the flame a bit better!

One thought is, if i'm running it on unleaded, the octane rating of unleaded petrol is higher than 2-star. This would, I imagine cause the unit to run hotter than it used to, this may account for some problems.

Were they considered multifuel? A gallon of Kero with a couple of pints of petrol may tame it a little :cool2:

Still haven't sussed the small valve behind the burner though........

Alec.

Still two eyebrows :-D

the small valve behind the burner head is a valve cleaner that you use to clean the jet if its the 1 with a arrow on

Ahaa, thanks David. A bit more experimenting then. I was varying the position of this valve to see if it had an effect, this must have been causing the rough running.

I take it then that this valve adjusts the direction of flow of the vapour, to flit it back and fore to clean the jet? I'll try all the positions again, this time limiting the fuel flow instead :nut:

I'll get it sussed yet!!!! :D

Alec.

ps, the swiss benzinkocher is so much simpler......... :cool2:

Ahaa, thanks David. A bit more experimenting then. I was varying the position of this valve to see if it had an effect, this must have been causing the rough running.

I take it then that this valve adjusts the direction of flow of the vapour, to flit it back and fore to clean the jet? I'll try all the positions again, this time limiting the fuel flow instead :nut:

I'll get it sussed yet!!!! :D

Alec.

ps, the swiss benzinkocher is so much simpler......... :cool2:

The Benzinkocher "Might" be simpler ....but it is nowhere near as impressive as a No1 at full chat .

We are heading off with some old landrovery friends in a few weeks (heading for North Wales) and i fully intend taking the No1 with me and having a crack at cooking over a trench with it ....

It'll either be a roaring sucess or i'll die to death trying lol

• 1 year later...

Thought I would drag this thread back up....... :D

I have found mutterings on other sites about an additional chamber/hotbox/trombone(!), which was used when the No.1 was used with diesel!

I suppose anything is possible, has anyone experience of this addition?

It would work well with Kero I think, although it would probably reduce the efficiency a lot.... :undecided:

Alec.

The Pump on most burners is just like a big bicycle tyre pump really.

Does' the same job in effect!

the 'Washer' on the pump rod is made of leather, if you remove it & soak it in clean engine oil it will swell enough

to make a good seal after wiping off the excess oil.

Reassemble & you should be good to go.

Check the petrol jet is clear also. these tend to clog up on occasion, as burner petrol tanks were generaly filled form

jerrycans. The red lead paint lining did come away in flakes inside & pour out with the petrol when filling the tank!

It is VERY common for the paint lining to come out of a LOT of Jerrycans. Something a lot of vehicle owners DONT always

think of!

When filling ANYTHING from a jerrycan, it is ALWAYS good practice to use a funnel with a gauze filter.

OR, a GOOD Jerrycan filler spout WITH an internal gauze filter!

Sorry if this seems like teaching you to suck eggs. But, you WOULD be suprised how MANY people forget to inistiate this

practice!

A moments thought using a filter funell/adaptor, COULD save you from a roadside breakdown due to a blocked jet in YOUR carb!..........;)

• 7 years later...