Wolfy

25 Pounder Short gun

Never heard of one before and im not an arty expert but those wheels and tyres look suspiciously llike Land Rover ones

R

Quote:

The 25 pounder Short Mark I, or Baby 25 pr, was an Australian pack gun version of the 25 pounder, first produced in 1943. This was a shortened version of the standard 25 pounder, mounted on the Carriage 25 pr Light, Mark 1. The Baby was intended for jungle warfare and was only used by Australian units in the South West Pacific theatre of World War II. The gun could be towed by a jeep or broken down into 13 sections and transported by air. During the New Guinea campaign the gun was manhandled up steep jungle tracks where trucks could not operate.

Got to get to Firepower very soon.

Really like the look of this gun but seems pretty rare either side of the world.

Gents,

212 built. Subject is well covered in:

Gower, S N: Guns of the Regiment

Mellor, DP: The Role of Science and Industry (Aust Official History series)

and my own book,:

Cecil, M K: Australian Field Artillery 1939 to 1945, AMEP Volume 1 (now out of print).

Surviving examples in much better/complete condition that the restored example at Mordialloc (yes the wheels are wrong, but Alex could not locate the correct ones) are held in public collections at:

Australian War Memorial, Canberra

Army Museum, Bandiana

RAA Museum, (moving: temporarily closed: formerly at North Head, Sydney)

There are also a few in private collections.

One was sent to the UK for trials, evidently this is the one held in the Firepower Collection in the UK?

Regards

Mike C

Gents,

RAA Museum, (moving: temporarily closed: formerly at North Head, Sydney)

There are also a few in private collections.

One was sent to the UK for trials, evidently this is the one held in the Firepower Collection in the UK?

No, it was specifically donated to Firepower from Australia.

One or two were delivered to UK in the backend of WW2, UK did some improvements and it was to be formally classifed at Mk ? Ord on Mk 4? Carriage. Obviously the Mk 3 carriage was a far better option as long as you didn't want relatively easy breaking into loads.

At least some of the Aust gunners using it considered it a bit of a dog. It also had limited range, one of the things the UK mods corrected.

There's a bit more detail at http://nigelef.tripod.com/25pdrsheet.htm

"RAA Museum, (moving: temporarily closed: formerly at North Head, Sydney)" Ha ha, I do like a guy with a sense of humour.

Edited by watcher

I have this plate which I hope is the correct type as fitted to the 25pdr.Short. My 25pdr.Short is missing it's plates but has the No.207 on the inside top of the left trail attachment plate which also has B75 stamped on top. (The right trail attachment plate just has the no. 75 stamped into the top.) The number on the barrel jacket is A221.

I purchased this 25pdr.Short in 2006 from the Belfield auction. The plate I purchased on Ebay.

I guess my question is this :- Was the Short 25pdr. known as the 25pr.LIGHT, or is this plate off something else?

Regards Rick.

scan0209.jpg

Probably, the site I referenced above lists a Maint Manual for "QF 25-pr Short (Aust) Mk 1 Gun on Carriage 25-pr Light (Aust) Mk 2, 1943."

To All,

I've had a news cuttings scrapbook for many years, which was collated by someone at Charles Ruwolt P/L in the Melbourne suburb of Richmond. They were the manufacturers of the 25pdr and the 25pdr short as well as other war materials.

The quality is not the best but may be of interest.

regards

Andrew B

File0006.jpg

File0009.jpg

File0013.jpg

On 7/4/2019 at 1:48 PM, Scoobie4942 said:

It's like a "Baby 25 Pdr" when you look at it 

Pretty much is

Standard_and_short_25pdr.jpg

It probably had a range of 10, 500 yards compared to the full size one which was 13,400 yards firing Charge Super  and a muzzle velocity of 1,700 ft/sec . The "Short or Baby " 25 pdr  could be broken down on to 14 mule loads for use in that theatre of operations, ie the jungles of New Guinea .