MV Part longest usage

robin craig

Question

I was looking at a new (to me) book the other day, when I spied the horn on a Daimler Dingo.

If I am correct, that horn has not changed and was used in many vehicles over the years and is still in service in Stormers to this day.

Does that make it the longest usage of any Brit MV part?

Too qualify for this distinction, the part can not be a nut bolt or washer but a whole component ie a bracket or a light or an engine component that has been in service continuously from original fitment to a particular vehicle and then been used on others that are STILL in service today.

R

Edited by robin craig
clarification of part definition

• Answers 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

On a Land Rover , forgetting fixings. Apparently this is the only component that has seen service from 1948 to present time 62+ years..

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/467/301328-ROPE-HOOK.html?search=rope%20hook&page=1

s/s to latest Defender type No. for version pre-punched

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/14630/MWC8648-ROPE-HOOK-CLEAT.html?search=301328&page=1

I dunno about the part longest in use, but in the RAC it was generally considered that the longest part name for its size was:

Rack catch plunger release catch cam

Apparently a 1/4" metal dowel, vital to the working of the Chieftain gun.

Ok........ :blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

How about this. The palm couplings and the replacement seals for the trailer air lines on my Diamond T's are still made/used today and are available at any commercial vehicle parts supplier. as are the prop shaft uj's, bearings and oil seals.

Damm. I just looked at first post and it said Brit vehicle parts......"Dohhhh"

Edited by diamond-t-steve

Another thought( dangerous time);

The straps and buckle fittings on soft top vehicles have their origin in horse drawn cart days. I don't have a cart handy to compare exactly the differences!

Doug

The concept of long term use of a part is interesting. No doubt there are many smaller parts that are in common. A few examples would range from switches, control knobs, dials, keys, speedo cables,lights, rubber boots, Spark plugs, hoses, seat fittings and so the list continues.

Some items are plain and usable over a wide range of applications other for a particular application only.

I guess its a search of part numbers that will bring up the answer.

Doug

Perhaps I'm being confused here. Are you searching for an item still in use, as of a new vehicle?

Having a familiarity with early vehicles of the period from around 1910 I naturally started from point, thinking of items that remained the same for some length of time, These probably were up dated by the late 1920's, however what could continue for much latter?

A magneto for ignition was still in use for some engines into the 1950's,

Spark plugs have changed in size, but large size plugs are still available.

Plug leads have changed the insulating materials.

Doug

Hey guys, I dont want to sound like im going to kick off soon but im getting close!

British MV parts in continuous usage, longest please?

So far the Lucas horn and the convoy light are front runners.

R

All the parts listed in some way relate to electrical items which you would think would have been the first thing to be phased out.