Bedford QLC

If she was a QLR there should also be a PTO for the generator carried above the rear axle.

Yes the pto pick up is on the transfer box and also the regulator control box inside the cabin is still in place.

The chassis middle cross section was cut for the crane on the chassis and there will normally be the extra generator be mounted.

Guy

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Niels

Nice job buddy, will she be finished for W&P 2012 ?

I have just got back from Scotland (850mile round trip) with a trailer load of QL parts for myself & Danny152.

I will be starting my restoration this weekend & hope to post a restoration thread aswell.

Great to see another QL has been saved just down the road from you Niels.

Ian

<Hello Ian it is not op the road from Niels butt it is very nice to see that outer people are in to bedford QL restoration.

I am from Belgium and it is still some way from Denmark!

Guy

I am hoping to be done to W+P 12, But its going a bit slow at the moment.

I got the compressor painted to day, and are almost done with cleaning paint and muck off of the transfer box. I dicided to remove the transfer box from the cross member so that I could get to all the corners of it.

Good luck with the other restorations, I find it very easy to work on a Ql, all parts are of a handy size.

CIMG8426.jpg

CIMG8429.jpg

Hi Niels, after I had a good lock at you pictures and some other Danish bedford QL's I noted the two easy to spot modifications that the Danish army did on these trucks after the British sold of there overstock.

In the cabin the speedo meter has been changed to a km/h type and has a white dial plate and on the engine there is a outer type of oil filter.

Certainly there are more modifications (lighting, weapons carriers on the side of the cabin...) but the speedo and the oil filter really caught my eye.

Guy

Yep it has a fram filter now, much easier than the original closed unit.

Most of the modifications where made in 61 when they all where rebuild.

one thing I would like on it again is the mechanical indicator arm, so if any one has a spare or can take some mesurments and pictures I would be gratefull

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coming along well Niels, I enjoy seeing the updates. I was speaking to a guy who drove QLs in the early 1950s while in the army, he remembers them as rather under powered, would you say he is correct? Once my Loyd is done, I would love to tackle a QL.

Coming along well Niels, I enjoy seeing the updates. I was speaking to a guy who drove QLs in the early 1950s while in the army, he remembers them as rather under powered, would you say he is correct? Once my Loyd is done, I would love to tackle a QL.

I have owned my QL since 1987, and enjoyed every minute of driving it, yes it is a bit lacking power on hills, but it makes you pay attention to your driving when approaching hills, and is satisfying to crest a hill in top. On two occasions I have towed artic low loaders across fields, one DAF was loaded and the other was a Yank Freightliner. With a mate in Holland once with his QLR, on the Corridor Tour following Denis Roberts Diamond T with Rogers trailer. The DT ran out of fuel and the police insisted we tow it out of the way, it certainly tested the QL, but she did it. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

finaly I remembered my camera.

Some more parts have gone back on, and some have been prepare for sandblasting

I bought a new oil pressure gauge the other day on ebay, didnt need it, but got it for 0.99£.

and a before picture

CIMG8670.jpg

CIMG8681.jpg

CIMG8682.jpg

CIMG8700.jpg

CIMG8701.jpg

CIMG8710.jpg

CIMG4353.jpg

CIMG8690.jpg

CIMG8708.jpg

Edited by Niels v

Hello, and how is the work on the cabin progressing, I am just curios because we are in the same league.

On way Ql al the lose body parts are almost repaired and very soon I will start with the main cabin section.

Keep up the good work!

Guy

Thanks

I have outsource the cab repair (I dont know how to weld yet), he is skills but this ( has restored several very rotton M151s] but this is really a challenge for him. Layer on layer of sheet metal, and a lot of odd shapes.

• 2 weeks later...
The rear body had been filled with scrap, when it was in the yard, this had resulted in a sheared bolt and the rear body twisting. The Danish climate is not car friendly which has resulted in the wood in the rear body being rotten and a lot of rust in the cab and the sides of rear body.

Hi Niels, is it possible to send my some extra pictures and measurements of the rear body sheet metal side plates?

I am after the measurements and also want to know go thees are bend to fit to each other and how thees fit to the supporting angle iron.

Thanks Guy

Yes Niels its thees pictures that I wanted to see, If you can send some more pictures about the junction between the sheet metal plates (inside the cargo body).

I think that there are 4 sections on each side of the body, if possible can you send the measurements of thees 4 sections?

And possible some extra info and details on the front of the body, are there 2 metal sheets on the front and are there angle iron's on the front?

If you can see on may restoration thread I did fond a floor section of a QLT and need to have some idea how the side is made of a QLD body.

Guy

I drove QLs during my army service in Germany in the mid 1950s (Not the one pictured I hasten to add, that was driven by one of my buddies, who was extremely luck to get out uninjured after a head-on collision with a very large German truck.) My family were involved with war surplus, so I was very familiar with military vehicles, from pick-ups right through to a Diamond "T" that we used, plus quite a bit of armour. I never found the QL to be under powered, infact compared to most trucks of the day it pulled very well, and certainly since 1937 they had been fitted with the Clayton Dewandre breaking mechanism, so the stopping was far superior to equivelent sized trucks. Of course if you compare them with modern trucks, then you would have to describe them as sluggish.... but thats just down to engine developement. The QL was fitted with the 28hp engine that developed 72 bhp, I drove civilian Bedford trucks before and after my army service, all fitted with that engine and carrying up to 7 tonnes. I have owned a GMC CCKW 353 since the 1980s, that truck developes approx 105 bhp, but I dont think that it pulls (Empty) any better, if indeed as well, as the Bedford. I served in a REME workshops in Germany, so I drove just about all that the army had to offer... the QL was a fine piece of machinery, and its just great to see you bringing this vehicle back to life, keep up the good work, and I look forward to reading and viewing your progress.

REME 56 58 006.jpg