new humber pig owner

The gearbox came out nicely and I sent the friction plate away to be relined.

With the gearbox off I replaced the release bearing and cleaned the bell housing as it was filthly, The pressure plate and flywheel where actually in good condition so with the friction plate relined It should be good for a few more miles! and whilst waiting for the relining to be done I sorted the fuel lines out, rebuilt the fuel pump, made the exhaust up and came across a nightmare with the distributor whilst changing the points!

On removing the distributor cap to service the points and fit a new condensor I noticed the contacts where fused together , and then that the moveable plate hadn't been secured properly explaining the backfire which split the old silencer! I've decided its a convinient time to get rid of the contacts and convert to a fully electronic ignition system so will be using te kit supplied by http://www.classicheads.com/ .

DSCN2058.JPG

DSCN2059.JPG

DSCN2062.JPG

DSCN2063.JPG

DSCN2064.JPG

DSCN2065.JPG

DSCN2077.JPG

DSCN2078.JPG

DSCN2081.JPG

DSCN2084.JPG

DSCN2095.jpg

DSCN2098.jpg

Edited by RichSweeney

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Rich you are really getting on with it. For future reference what was the silencer you used? Is it the same length?

I have just fitted my last NOS silencer so it should see me out. But just in case worth knowing of options.

Electronic well worthwhile before that backfires split two silencers on the Hornet. For that I used a silencer from a Bedford Midivan but even those became a rarity. But that was a different system to the Pig being mounted under the engine protected with an expanded belly plate.

• 5 months later...

The Pig is now being driven on the roads at long last! its had a few good trips out without any issues - bar the radiator cap leaking slightly.

All the lights, indicators and horn are wired up. I've fitted the electronic ignition supplied by classic car heads (after nearly 1 month of waiting and many phone calls!!) which has transformed the running of the pig entirely.

The brakes are OK but i feel that it could do with a new vacuum servo and relined brake shoes as they are still a bit vague / spongy.

One hydraulic ram is working and the other is going to have to have a new piston made up due to corrosion, seat belts are fitted but the rear bench seats need to be made - i need to try and find info on the type of wood and measurements if any one can help ??

The fuel and coolant temp gauges don't work so will need to be removed and checked at some point then its just the usual tidy up of little bits here and there so it can be taken to shows! more pics to follow

huumber video.jpg

Edited by RichSweeney