new humber pig owner

hi, im the new owner of an uparmoured humber pig as used in northen island. the restoration is in progress with wheels just restored. Its a non runner so tips or advice would be helpful. picture is without wheels restored humbertruck1955large.jpgBelow is with the rear wheels restored

IMG_8010.jpgIMG_8419.jpg

Edited by richard sweeney

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Richard.

I wonder what the military registration was? I will be able to give you some basic history.

You say it is non-runner, in what way? Does the engine turn over & nothing happen? Or doesn't it even do that? Or does the engine run & it doesn't move?

There are a number of Pig owners on here who will be particularly pleased to see you & watch the progress of the restoration.

Your front OS tyre looks a bit low. Always a bit misleading with runflats, I have driven a Humber with 0 psi in each front tyre although the steering was a bit peculiar!

the military reg is : 31 BK 09. the guy who gave it to me has the dates it was uparmoured aswell as each regiment it was used in.

all the electrics need re attaching, im unsure what state the engine is in only done 680miles though. The brake and clutch systems need bleeding, needs new coolant and oil , spare exhaust system to be fitting including two spare fuel tanks then it should start. all the spares came with it thankfully ! It hasnt run for at least a few years, anything i should look at in particular ?

Welcome in, you have come to the right place.

Where abouts are you?

Always quite liked Pigs, never been quite sure why.

Maybe its the looks, Quite a distinct style.

Used to help my Grandfather show his, when I was young, but they were Tamworths. so probably totally unconnected.

Keep us posted on progress.

Mike

Richard I have nothing on Unit histories so would be interested in seeing what you have got. A bit ironic that it was struck off after "The Troubles" had started only to be recovered 3 years later.

Anyway no need to worry about bleeding the clutch:D

Good that it came with all those bits.

For basic reading I would get hold of the User Handbook reprint:

http://www.shop.milweb.net/proddetail.php?prod=mlrs_1128

Welcome Richard to the Forum,

you are to be congratulated on many counts!

First off, thank you so much for choosing your name rather than "pigmaninNI" or something silly like that as your user name, pet rant of mine.

Second for taking on a challenge like a Pig.

Could I be so bold as to suggest that you perform as search on the forum for other Pig related posts, that will likely help you.

So you are aware Clive is quite the walkin encyclopedia of British MVs and you are lucky to have his input!

Once again welcome

Robin

Richard. Excellent that you have a range of manuals, an essential part of good Pig stewardship.

Did you have to import it or was it there already? At the time it was finally struck off there was, I'm led to believe, a CI connection with C J Evans Ordnance who had a number of Pigs for sale.

hi richard and welcome m8,,,, im in the process of restoring mine also , just finished making a new window frame and painting and recovering the seats etc .. mine set still for over a year and i put in two new batteries and after a few winds she started up ... clive on here is the expert on pigs he has a wealth off knowlage ... good luck with the restoration and keep us posted..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Richard and welcome to 'The Sty'.

You are in the right place to get your Pig sorted and you must keep us posted on progress.

It's all about sharing the knowledge and learning. Together of course with 'real time' restoration experiences. I look forward to your updates and the wheel refurb looks really good.

I must confess my time outside work has been focussed on collating spares and other essential items for my restoration and future longevity of my FV1611A. None of which I could have managed without Clive I have to say. ;)

Out of interest did you use Nato green or DBG?

I have wondered how many Pigs if any were actually painted in Desert Sand as they are not that common in that scheme, albeit there have been some odd interpretations by owners, visible over the Net.

Regards :thumbsup:

Wayne

Hi Richard, welcome to the forum, when you have spent countless hours over this labour of love, and you attend the shows, you will soon realise that the vehicles take second place in this wonderful hobby of ours, its the wonderful people that you will meet that make everything worthwhile....... good luck with the restoration, stay with the forum, and keep us informed of your progress. :kissoncheek:

• 2 months later...
hi, im the new owner of an uparmoured humber pig as used in northen island. the restoration is in progress with wheels just restored. Its a non runner so tips or advice would be helpful. picture is without wheels restored humbertruck1955large.jpgBelow is with the rear wheels restored

IMG_8010.jpgIMG_8419.jpg

Hi Richard, I have been off line for a while. It may interest you to know that the Pig used to belong to me I obtained it from the Mallard in an attempt to save it from the scrap man. It came to Guernsey after it was used as one of the vehicles in the film "The crying Game" I also understand it was used in another wich had the name Hilton in the title. It sadly was badly vandalised and after an aproch from Jinksy he took the project on a number of years ago. Good luck with the project it would be good to see it back on the roads again. To my memory we last got it running about eight years ago.

Regards

Gsydingo.

• 1 month later...
Hi Richard, I have been off line for a while. It may interest you to know that the Pig used to belong to me I obtained it from the Mallard in an attempt to save it from the scrap man. It came to Guernsey after it was used as one of the vehicles in the film "The crying Game" I also understand it was used in another wich had the name Hilton in the title. It sadly was badly vandalised and after an aproch from Jinksy he took the project on a number of years ago. Good luck with the project it would be good to see it back on the roads again. To my memory we last got it running about eight years ago.

Regards

Gsydingo.

hi i cant believe that ive bumped into an owner of it ! what was wrong with it from your memory that stopped it from running ? any info on it would be fantastic - im just getting stuck into it and will get engine running soon. - how do you turn the engine over by hand as i dont have the right tool to fit on othe crankshaft end? was it looked after before the mallard and what did the vandals damage ? so many questions. will be in contact when it gets running

really need to turn the engine over by hand so here we are with spark plugs removed, WD40 down into the cyclinders via spark plug holes in an attempt to free off the engine. Any other ideas on how to manually turn the engine over would be helpful. DSCN6773.jpg

Just making up this metal coolant pipe with flexi-hose as it was split. DSCN6794.jpg

Just cleaning up engine bay and chasis ready for paint or some form of protection.

Fuel tanks will be painted, new fuel lines and breather lines made up and then fitted.

After this i will make up new copper brake lines - anybody know the diameter?

Poor some diesel into each of the spark plug holes, you will probably find that only two cylinders are seized. Refit the spark plugs and leave sealed up for two weeks and then remove the spark plugs and find out which of the cylinders are seized. Two of them should be still full up with diesel unless of course its seeped past the rings. A couple of squirts of oil down the other bores from an oil can won't hurt the engine.

Spinning the engine presuming that the engine has its boss for inserting the starting handle you should be able to fit it and stand on it. If you can't do that the crankshaft pulley should have a nice big nut on it that you can do something similar with with a big set of stilisons or an adjustable spanner.

I won't tell you how long it took me to turn my engine over but I wasn't in any hurry

Edited by ferrettkitt

thanks, is diesel ok even though it ran on leaded petrol? im just trying to obtain a starting handle - at the moment i have just been turning the fan and the belts have been slipping even though i have tightened them.

hopefully with a starting handle i'll be able to turn it

thanks, is diesel ok even though it ran on leaded petrol? im just trying to obtain a starting handle - at the moment i have just been turning the fan and the belts have been slipping even though i have tightened them.

hopefully with a starting handle i'll be able to turn it

Yes diesel is o.k. its a recognised way of unseizing engines I think well known brand of cola has been used before now. It just means that you have to change the oil almost straight away once you have it rotating. If it doesn't want to rotate it would mean that you will have to take the head off to have a look at what the problem is. That might not be a bad idea anyway.