Bedford QL

ACH

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah he's bought that QL that was kicking around last year in the mags for under £1000, if I remember rightly the chap couldn't sell it because the cab was completely rotten, it was a recovery truck. I don't think he's going to want to break it for parts, not at £2500.

Any chance of an end on photograph, can't quite see if it's a channel or if it's a piece of flat bar with channel on the back to get the lip to attach the rubber too.

I take it the flat front edge is slightly curved.

Any chance of a close up photograph of the head lights and side lights so I know what I'm looking for and rough diameters of lenses? (so if I can't find original ones at least I can find a set that will look right).

Yeah he's bought that QL that was kicking around last year in the mags for under £1000, if I remember rightly the chap couldn't sell it because the cab was completely rotten, it was a recovery truck. I don't think he's going to want to break it for parts, not at £2500.

Went past it agian today. It has an aircraft refuller body.

• 9 months later...
Hi i have just been reading your thread and thought you may be interested to know i have a QL, that i fitted a P6 into and have had it on the road for about 25 years,good luck with the restoration andy

Whats a P6 ?

Edited by Ian L

P6: old straight six diesel used in Fordson lorries and plenty more I presume.

P6 was a Perkins six cylinder diesel, the company adapted these engines to replace petrol engines in cars and lorries in the early 1950's. You could use them in anything from a Humber Snipe, Fordson E27N Major, Austin Loadstar, Bedford O type and so on, as these vehicle manufacturers did not make their own diesels at that time. Fordson Thames lorries very soon had their own 4D and 6D diesel engines. The P6 evolved into the 6.354 and a friend overseas fitted a 354 in his QL but it is a big engine compared to the 28hp and was a shoehorn job!

Perkins P6 288cu in straight six indirect injection diesel engine.sorry i did not think.I thought every one new what a P6 was.This conversion is a very tight fit and uses the original 4 speed crash box whith the correct conversion bellhousing as used in the early bedford O model.From inside the cab and externally you would not know,until you start the engine.It is pretty noisy.To fit anything bigger would be a chopping excercise and not my scene.If you need any more info let me know

Andy