Mini Bolero Weekend - July 2011

M5Clive

Friday July 15th, Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th July 2011

Hi folks!

Well this isn't the full-blown legend that is comprehensively and unquestionably the one and only 'Operation Bolero' of Stevens and Abbott fame (and no fortune), but the very next best thing given the time scale!

This summer, the ‘Our Little Friends Wartime Weekend’ is an event being staged on an original US Eighth Air Force airfield in East Anglia, perpetuating the admiration for the Allied Fighter aircraft of World War Two and the men who flew them. The weekend will uniquely combine a collection of historic operational warbirds along with period re-enactors and Military Vehicles to give a truly nostalgic insight into the operations of the USAAF flying from England in WWII.

_DSC0630.jpg

'Our Little Friends' is a collaboration between WWII Warbird operator Maurice Hammond, convoy co-ordinator exceptional' Ed Abbott and myself as the creator of previous 'Experiences' (as Jack calls them) 'The Gathering of Eagles' and 'Operation Bolero.' We have all teamed up voluntarily to throw our particular talents into the ring to stage this WWII themed charity weekend in the East Anglian countryside!

Held at former United States Army Air Force heavy bomber Station 104, close to the Norfolk/Suffolk border, the event will have a packed itinerary starting on the evening of Friday 15th and concluding on the evening of Sunday 17th July. Throw into the plot a Bolero convoy aimed at US heavies, a Big Band 40’s Hangar Dance, a WWII warbird and aircraft fly-in, an educational interactive presentation on the construction of the local airfields and how they were used and the possibility of meeting some returning Eighth Air Force veterans from the USA who flew from the region in WWII..........and well, it all adds up to something a little bit different in the show diary!

DSC_0513.jpg

Maurice Hammond owns and operates the Hardwick Warbirds Collection, which comprises of five privately owned WWII Military Aircraft that have all being painstakingly restored over many thousands of hours, back to their former glory. The pride of the collection are two immaculate P-51D Mustang Fighter’s - both of which are painted to represent aircraft that flew combat operations from East Anglia during 1944 and one of which has an actual combat history. Have you ever hankered to get a good quality photograph of your own MV alongside a real icon of WWII aviation?

DSC_0559.jpg

For one weekend in July this year, Hardwick airfield will once again be awakened and resound to the sights and sounds of wartime England. The noise of packard-built Merlin Engines running up, the sound of Jeeps and 6x6 trucks trundling around the airfields remaining concrete roads, the familiar sound of Glenn Miller’s ‘String of Pearls’ once again echoing between the buildings and the hustle and bustle of yester-year nostalgia.

DSC_0392.jpg

The event is being held on entirely private land and vehicle entries and camping spaces are genuniely limited due to space constraints on-site. From an historical acuracy point of view, the organisers are encouraging vehicles and re-enactors of the period with an understandable slant towards USAAF equipment to compliment the aircraft and the historic location. Those folks who have supported our many convoy events over previous years going right back to the very first 'Red Ball Express Rally' we staged in Wiltshire in 1990 will also be encouraged to join us again and those repeat entrants will be given priority booking, if space does become a genuine issue.

DSC_0564.jpg

Entry to the Big Band Dance will be by ticket only and monies raised throughout the course of the weekends activities will go directly to Cancer Charities. If your driving down to Beltring with your MV, why not break your journey in East Anglia the weekend before and be part of something different?

IMG_0193_2_2.jpg

All enquiries to Clive Stevens on 01379 871020 or e-mail clivestevens17@yahoo.co.uk

Edited by M5Clive

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since announcing the event a week ago I have had the following entrants book in:-

Dave Griffin - Diamond T 981

Grey Radley - White M3 Half Track

Dave Wright - Dodge WC-62

Jimmy Snowling - Dodge WC-51

Dan Snowling - GMC 352

Peter Snowling - Dodge Carryall

Roy Baker - Dodge Carryall

Tony Butt - Dodge WC-63

Jerry Hill - Morris Commercial

Andy Dickinson - GMC 353

Brian Slingsby - GMC 352

Lindsey Smith - Willys MB

Howard Wade - Dodge Carryall

Me - GMC 353 / 41 Chrylser (static!)

Kevin Gant - GMC 353

Not bad for an event which has only been publicised one week on HMVF !

Edited by M5Clive

Since announcing the event a week ago I have had the following entrants book in:-

Grey Radley - White M3 half Track

Dave (Felixstowe) - Dodge WC-62

Jimmy Snowling - GMC 352

Tony Butt - Dodge WC63

Andy Dickinson - GMC 353

Brian Slingsby - GMC 352

Kevin Gant - GMC 353

Not bad for an event which has only been publicised one week on HMVF !

+ NOS - GMC 353 / Clarket B

Thats six GMC CCKW's already - Think its gonna be another cracking convoy of heavies......

Edited by M5Clive

clive - I think im more excited about this than i am about Beltring this year!

I'm not entirely sure that 'Simon' shares your thoughts on this, but I do have to fully agree with you sentiment!

Of course you can make it a 3 Ship Formation (I have adjusted the list) - And i'm assuming brother and father are also on-board considering the family connection to the venue?

Edited by M5Clive

I'll have to discuss this at home but would there be space for a dutch family of 4 without a WWII vehicle? The tent will be WWII so don't worry about that.

Joris, it wouldn't be the same without you!

No problem with bringing the children either - (You know we try to get all the family involved as much as possible.)

Jack will be putting up the HMVF Tent just like he did for Bolero 2007 (not that he knows it yet, but he will) and of course as the founder member of the Maurice Hammond Appreciation Society, he will also be polishing the hub caps on his fleet of aircraft and providing the polish!

That's good news JN - but not as much drink as last time please - I am a bit older now and can't keep up with you youngsters....

- now what we need to is butter someone up for a lift over the weekend :coffee:

Talked to Dorien yesterday and she gave it a green light so we'll be attending! :D After Bolero we'll be on vacation so we can't bring a WWII tent, is that a big problem?

Of course I will bring my complimentary load of Alfa beer. Can't tell you how exciting I am about this weekend, really looking forward to it!

Grey Radley - White M3 Half Track

Dave Wright - Dodge WC-62

Jimmy Snowling - Dodge WC-51

Dan Snowling - GMC 352

Tony Butt - Dodge WC-63

Kevin - Bedford QL (GS)

Andy Dickinson - GMC 353

Brian Slingsby - GMC 352

Kevin Gant - GMC 353

Tony Goff - GMC 353 / Clarket

Malcolm Holland - WC-51

Kevin Taylor - Willys MB

Jack (our hero) Beckett - 1997 3 Man pup tent with mahogany poles & winter lashing straps

Joris (Mod) - 1974 Millets 4 man bivouac tent with extended porch awning, and stainless steel pegs

As one can see, the list continues to grow with an ever increasing variety of exhibits for the public to admire.......

Edited by M5Clive

I'm sure between us we could find some suitable cammo netting to chuck over those non- U.S. issue tents :police: :cheesy:

Alternatively Joris could pitch his tent in the back of a GMC and Jack could just kip on the back seat of the Chrysler?

Edited by N.O.S.

Well it all sounds like this is going to be yet another great event, really looking forward to this one, Clive will there be somewhere I can hide the Camper?. Do you want the Bofors Gun brought along.

Howard.

Thanks Clive - I need style (a man of my position and all that) so I will want to be travelling in your Staff car.....

I think some bloke is bringing a mini-moke............I'll tap him up for a space for you (a man of your position and all that).............!

Well it all sounds like this is going to be yet another great event, really looking forward to this one, Clive will there be somewhere I can hide the Camper?. Do you want the Bofors Gun brought along.

Howard.

By 'camper' you mean the 'Farley's Ruskie mobile' ? Its green and has six wheels, so no problem.

The Bofors Gun will definitely add some atmosphere - especially if R Cubed brings his 'Long Tom' along as well !

Edited by M5Clive

I think some bloke is bringing a mini-moke............I'll tap him up for a space for you (a man of your position and all that).............!

Besides, if you really want to travel in the Chrysler then no problem - Just be sure to have a spare fluid drive top-gear in your box of spares for when we get further than 15 miles away from base camp!

By 'camper' you mean the 'Farley's Ruskie mobile' ? Its green and has six wheels, so no problem.

The Bofors Gun will definitely add some atmosphere - especially if R Cubed brings his 'Long Tom' along as well !

Hey c'mon Clive, here I was thinking of you as an expert and you can't tell the difference between a 105 and a Long Tom:shocked::)