stirling sub machine gun

griff66

three types

L2A1 this was designed to be self disassembled -ie components on the weapon could be used for further disassembled.

L2A2 components of weapon no longer designed for disassembly a finger guard was added, the sights altered, butt strengthened bolt altered to prevent impromper assembly.

L2A3 Sight altered slightly, stamped butt components, chamber modified again.

As it's from Africa watch out for Sterling Police Carbine -semi automatic used in Kenya.

No doubt some-one may have the apprpriate marking -but it depends on what country they are from.

Good Pics Chris, Having inspected, repaired & tested many thousands of Sterling SMGs in my Time as a Service Armourer. And also having visited the Sterling works when it was 'Alive'. I can state with hands on expirience that there is NO difference in the SMG series really. (That is to say the L2A3/ Mk IV ONLY) The 'Police Carbine' was simply a standard L2A3 (Mk 4) with a modified Trigger mech group for Semi-auto only. The Nomencleture on the Mag Housing was engraved differently also for the the 'Police' market. BUT, sales were aimed mainly at the Civvy shooter market. This weapon class was abused as it was VERY easy to obtain an Ex Military selective fire trigger mech & slip in the carbine. What you then had was a selective fire full auto, sub machine gun. A BIG No, No! So, Sterling revamped the 'Carbine' with a rework so it was closed bolt & striker fired version. Effectively making it semi-auto again & drasticaly altering the internal design, so that Ex Militray componant exchange could NOT be effected. Or modify them into selctive, full auto models. These were aimed at the US Civvy Market. The bottom photo is of a Replica, or Fake. ALL, Sterling Magazine Housings were ENGRAVED & NEVER Stamped with Numbers & Nomencleture. BUT, If Chris wants one just to hang in the rear bracket of your ferret only. No one will really see what is written on the Mag housing. So if it's cheap & welded solid. Does it REALLY matter? If it DOES matter, then there are LOADS of them available on the market, just short of three hundered quid! Good Hunting Chris!

Edited by ferretfixer

I thought I'd better get on the bandwagon :-) I've just bagged a Mk 4 from Pudsey Arms Fail (leeds) :D

A lot of the parkerisation (if that is a word) has rubbed off, but it looks ok. Best one there. Now need a cheap 30 cal and tripod!

DSC01886.jpg

DSC01892.jpg

DSC01885.jpg

DSC01890.jpg

DSC01888.jpg

Personally I wouldn't have one with Police Carbine or NZ stampings on a British vehicle as it's not correct.

I'm on the look out for one now with a moving cocking lever as an old spec one is too expensive but it will have to be an L2A3.

It would be nice to hear if someone has any ideas on how to achieve the original finished paintwork?

I assume in the meantime spray with a Satin Black?

The park is very good mate, its the crinkly paint which has come off, I think its a very hard finish to replicate. I wonder what the markings on the top indicate, I guess its a ownership marking to a former country.

Hi Chris

I didn't really think about those other markings. It came fram a dealer and it's been very recently deactivated. I should have asked him where it originated from.

Incidentally it does have a moving slide, well cocking lever (obviously bolt welded solid)

Matt

The original 'Black, Crackle Finish' was first used on the BLMC Mini's. As it is Heat resistant, it was sparyed on the Rocker box covers! If you are able to source this type of 'Orange Peel Effect' Paint. Then thats what you need to replicate the original finish.

It might have been painted on Minis mine hasn't got the crackle type on the rocker box covers but that could be because its a 1974 Mini, but its definitely on an MGB's dashboard. When I had my 1978 MGB GT it had the crackle paint finish on the dash. Worst decision of my life selling that car

You can still buy black 'crackle' paint part No MRD1048A Crackle Black Aerosol

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/

Hope that helps

You can still buy black 'crackle' paint part No MRD1048A Crackle Black Aerosol

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/

Hope that helps

Well done Andy, that will save some of us hours searching for a reference number! :thumbsup:

Do you know, I have also observed this crackle Finnish in Green as well?

It was used on the Rocker box covers of Army Austin 1800's when they were staff cars in service. (1970's)