Output of Ptarmigan Generator?

VWINME

Question

11 answers to this question

I'm not sure about the NSN either, but if it's a diesel unit rather than petrol it's a Plessey 3kW 27.25V dc generator driven by a Lister Petter single cylinder 4-stroke diesel. Was there anything specific you wanted to know?

Andy

That is the NSN on the paperwork with the unit, will double check though.

All I have been able to find out is that the manufacturer has been taken over by Parker. However they don't have any information at all to provide.

Andy thanks for the information, ultimately I have a few of these gennys that have never been used, and wanted to establish if there was anything else I could use them for.

Cheers

Russ

They're quite a nice generator, but unfortunately are restricted to 24V dc so not as universally useful as they might be. Do you have a photo so I can confirm it's actually the one I'm talking about? They usually live on the roof of a SAS/MC FV439.

Andy

Lovely condition, but upon a closer inspection it turns out they have a Hatz engine.

Odd.

OK, got it. Generator Set, Engine Driven (Diesel), 7.0kW 28V DC (NSN 6115-415-3017) manufactured by Parker Keelavite of Warwick for Ptarmigan Packet Switch. It's got a 28V 300A alternator with possible regulator settings of 27.8V, 28.5V and 29.2V, held to within +/- 0.5V over normal speed and load ranges. It has indeed got a Hatz 4-stroke diesel engine.

Does that help?

Andy

Edited by andym
Spelling!