4a mine detector battery

I am looking for a supplier that might be able to supply me with a battery to get my 4A mine detector working......any leads much appreciated.

Here is a picture of the detectors battery plug and the battery info from the instruction manual......

P1060800.jpg

P1060805.jpg

Cheers

Paul

The battery plug looks identical to a Wireless Set 38 battery plug. However, a 38 set uses 150v/3v, so be careful. The batteries for a 38 set were manufactured by Ever Ready and Vidor.

I would think you will have to make your own battery up or get a Radio Ham to construst a frame to hold new batteries or run off a 12V supply. Try asking the WS 19 group on http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/

The battery plug looks identical to a Wireless Set 38 battery plug. However, a 38 set uses 150v/3v, so be careful. The batteries for a 38 set were manufactured by Ever Ready and Vidor.

I would think you will have to make your own battery up or get a Radio Ham to construst a frame to hold new batteries or run off a 12V supply. Try asking the WS 19 group on http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/

Thanks ill give them a look at now.

Regards

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Paul,

there is an alternative which according to Ken Whyte of Australia works very well. I have not tried it on mine detector yet, but will do it soon. Here are the instructions I was given:

You will need to make up a set of 8 x 9v batteries giving 67 volts Make the connections with positive "+" to red lead of mine detector "-" to black lead of mine detector.

Then, use a 1 x 1.5 volt "D" battery. Make the connections with positive "+" to white lead of mine detector, And "-' to black lead of mine detector.

Use only Alkaline battery "D" for the 1.5v supply - if you use a standard battery it will not make enough power (1.2v). The valves inside the detector need a full 1.5v supply. This battery will be the one that needs constant replacement (not the larger "9v" batteries - they will last a long time)

I have noticed that there is not enough information on No.4A detector on the net so decided to write an article on it. You will find it on our website : http://www.rotanazdar.cz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=191:no4a&catid=61:nase-sbirka&Itemid=106&lang=en

I will add pictures of the connection on the web as soon as I try it. Check also the wiring diagram, with hand written instruction. If you get stuck I can post you some more pictures. Hope this helps.:-)

regards,

Dusan

Hi,

Thank you for the reply, I came across your web site on the ww2re-enactors forum, great information.

I have asked my friend to sort my detector out as per your instructions. I also found some good info along the same lines from the guys at WS 19 group as previously suggested.

Regards

Paul

• 1 year later...
Has there been any update re batteries since last post -just picked up a complete 4a and would like to try and get it powered up and working, also any manuals online anywhere re same?

Gary

There's currently an incomplete 4A on eBay, which has two (dead by now) batteries in the crate with it. (It also appears to have the dreaded acronym "BLR" (or possible "BER" which would be worse) on the casing.

I intend to bid on this (just for the batteries and anything else my 4A happens to be missing, and will produce patterns for a replica battery for anyone interested (assuming I get it, of course)).

The WS19 group only has EMERs for the 4C at the moment, but we're still looking. :D

Chris.

There's currently an incomplete 4A on eBay, which has two (dead by now) batteries in the crate with it. (It also appears to have the dreaded acronym "BLR" (or possible "BER" which would be worse) on the casing.

I intend to bid on this (just for the batteries and anything else my 4A happens to be missing, and will produce patterns for a replica battery for anyone interested (assuming I get it, of course)).

Chris.

Bah! went for £100+ which is entirely too steep a price. :shocking:

Oh well, a battery will no doubt turn up on its own, eventually.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Hi from Germany. Got a No. 6A in really great shape. Unfortunately the links (above) are not working anymore. It would be great to make it work again, so any help in obtaining a "self-made" battery would be great. I just made a (1945) SCR625 work again, but the battery of the No. 6A is something else :-) Thx Erik