nitro got busy with the welder and gas torch and fabricated these up

20120427_170908.jpg

meanwhile i tackled the fire fighting system

20120425_141904.jpg

20120425_141931.jpg

20120425_145919.jpg

i had to fab up a new fire extinguisher horn as we we're one short

20120509_140645.jpg

the eagle eyed may notice the modern fire extinguishers hidden in the locker we thought this might be a wise precauction what with the price of these here sherman things

20120513_163828.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So is it the modern FM200 extinguishers that actually feed the horns?

Andy

yes they do also i have cabelled them to the original pull handles took a bit of head scratching and a few choice words but got there in the end

Excellent work guys, great to see this old Dutchy coming back to life.

The only question I have is the colour of the "period" extinguishers. Aren't they "supposed" to be green in stead of red? Love to hear more on this subject from others, as the discussion on the colour of WW2 extinguishers seems to be coming back from time to time and I never heard a conclusive answer.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Alex

Edited by Alex van de Wetering

Great work and a really neat and sympathetic solution...

Is it wise working on a tank in socks though..! Maybe there is a market for steel toe capped slippers..? :D

Cheers for that tim .you'll see from the transmission in pics that it has had a fresh coat of paint inside so its socks or slippers from now on hmm steel toe capped mocasuns where the address for dragons den ...

Excellent work guys, great to see this old Dutchy coming back to life.

The only question I have is the colour of the "period" extinguishers. Aren't they "supposed" to be green in stead of red? Love to hear more on this subject from others, as the discussion on the colour of WW2 extinguishers seems to be coming back from time to time and I never heard a conclusive answer.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Alex

Hi Alex thanks for the encouragment, as for the cylinders these were green top coat with a red spot then under that coat there was a red coat then primer so anyones quess. personally i like the look in red

Edited by sharky
missed a word out

The fixed fire extinguisher bottles were definitely red when new. I have removed them from range tanks with the manufacturer's transfer on top of a thin coat of red and no repainting at all. I have never seen them painted green or even white to match the rest of the interior of the tank. I think that the point was that they are pressurised and to be treated with respect and are not remotely visible from outside the tank. Doesn't it look good with all the detail bits going in but it reprisents an enormous amount of work. Nice job.

David

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best way to explain fire extinguisher colours, is that when covered by floors ie Sherman and not needed to be cammo, there red. When fitted to something like a sexton ie open topped, there painted green for cammo. I.m glad i wore socks for the photo as i.d just tore my stockings. :wow:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Evening all ,we have not made as much progress as we would of liked due to weather related breakdowns on the fv432's, especially with cosby show coming up where we are hoping to give her an outing , but heres a pictorial update .

engine bay painted (still masked up for more paint) ready for engine to go in when it returns.

20120730_165355.jpg

20120730_165347.jpg

20120730_165327.jpg

next nitro had a bit of a clean upm of the gun fire control mechanism

20120722_154101.jpg

20120722_154126.jpg

main gun firing solanoid

20120722_154119.jpg

20120730_165545.jpg

In the mean time the boss presented us with this beauty he acquired

20120703_094856.jpg

. i had a go at the gun timer relay

20120730_165234.jpg

20120730_165222.jpg

finally its nice to have piles of repaired and painted parts to refit rather than either rusty scrap or oil encrusted broken parts waiting for us to fix .

20120730_165539.jpg

thats you lot for tonight hopefully there should be some real progress pictures in the next week or 3 keep your fingers crossed and wish us luck

cheers for looking and as normal questions and comments welcome.

Iain

Are you painting the inside cream or is that just the lighting?
Its orchid white must admit it does look very creamy in the pictures but its only slightly off white .this is what the team at wheatcrofts recomended

Fantastic thread can't wait to see it in person at cosby you'll be easy to spot as after this restoration you'll be the guys with the biggest grins about.

Cheers prob be the guys with big bags under our eyes slighly less hair and hopefully drinking a well deserved beer .i do add hopefully as time is tight and we got 2 engines in bits both with problems hopefully one at least will be sorted in time . Also not to mention the rest of the work we got left to do hoorah we love a challenge.

Sounds familiar our halftrack was finished at half 2 in the morning when the low loader was coming and we did the final paint touch up just before it turned up- not quite on the same scale as yours but it allways helps to have a deadline. A shifting deadline is always easier though. Hope it all goes well for you.

Cheers

Steve

some more updates engine this time .

whilst one of our engines was away being looked at we decided to have a inspection of our R975 C1 that is destined for the sexton eventually, to see if it was viable to drop in our sherman to get us running for cosby.....as you'll see this wont be happening .

After initial visual inspection , setting the timing and having a general fettle we got it running but it was blowing oil out of the crankcase breather and exhaust joints on cylinder 7 & 8 .

So we stuck a camera down the bores to checked for heavy scoring seemed ok , then did a compression test which gave us an average of 90 psi across 8 cylinders but number 7 cylinder was reading 235 psi !! nothing left but to remove cylinder and find out what was going on with the rings etc .if you have worked on one of these radial you'll appreciate what a swine it is to just remove a cylinder .but however after a morning of knuckle and hand bashing all was revealed .

20120807_141131.jpg

cowling off

20120807_154152.jpg

20120807_154159.jpg

20120808_125019.jpg

then we get to the piston :cry:

20120808_114033.jpg

sadly all the pistons appear to be in this state, suspect either crankshaft counter weight siezed and has shaved bottom and scraper ring off each piston or a badly fitted retaining circlip has come adrift and broke skirt of one piston then continued to eat its way round crankcase and pistons . I know more when i strip rest of engine , this engine wont be in for cosby show.:(

20120808_124839.jpg

there is light on the horizon tho, our C4 engine is back in our hands now so hopefully fingers, legs and arms crossed it will be ready to go.

positive mental waves baby..........

cheers

Iain

It.s a real shame about the engine. I.ve got nearly all the internal hull parts ready to fit, so by the end of next week the turret Will be ready to be fitted.

Then i can finish the couple of exterior parts. In the mean time i.ll have a head scratching session with you over the engine. Stick the kettle on.