Sherman 105mm restoration project

sharky

We had a quiet afternoon last weekend so the boss decided we should remove the turret so heres some pics , first we removed gun and mantlet suprisingly with a bit of heat and a home made tool the slot head (giant) bolts came undone quite easily .

it came this far then got stuck

removed recoil guard and that gave us the half inch we needed

next off came the turret

thanks for looking will post some pics of interior and turret basket later this week

Sharky

DSC00069.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

DSC00074.jpg

DSC00076.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few more pics of progress

22052011134-1.jpg

had to remake some missing or damaged parts the commanders vision block wedges were a pain to do

22052011131.jpg

the holding plates weren't to bad to copy

22052011133.jpg

these pics are a bit anyhow but we applied a few coats of white to the interior of turret

if anyone needs the paint code let me know

22052011138.jpg

22052011137.jpg

22052011136.jpg

22052011135.jpg

thanks for looking comments appreciated as ever

Iain

We decided it was time to get the sherman in the workshop today, sounds easy! the work shop is half a mile away from where it has been stored and the route consists of 4 narrow gate ways 3 dog leg turns and a main road to cross then to top it all a workshop entrance at 90 degrees to the yard and it only has 5 inches of clearence either side of tank but we got it in easier than we thought .

heres some pics

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0013.jpg

01062011154.jpg

01062011155.jpg

01062011159.jpg

01062011158.jpg

01062011160.jpg

01062011161.jpg

01062011162.jpg

We decided it was time to get the sherman in the workshop today, sounds easy! the work shop is half a mile away from where it has been stored and the route consists of 4 narrow gate ways 3 dog leg turns and a main road to cross then to top it all a workshop entrance at 90 degrees to the yard and it only has 5 inches of clearence either side of tank but we got it in easier than we thought .

heres some pics

Good reversing if that had been me I would have enlarged the opening

Edited by Joris

evening all heres some more progress .

i am posting as many pics as possible because my writing and descriptive skills are not brilliant so it is easier for me this way. feel free to ask for any further descriptions and i'll see what i can do .

right first of some more gun pics

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

breach moves lovely.

turret basket needs soma attention

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

more pics.

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

new piece fabricated

IMG_0173.jpg

and finally some pics of the inside being stripped

me hard at it.

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

little joe fuel tank ,oil coolers and ammo storage

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

you'll have turn turn your head for this pic sorry

IMG_0187.jpg

thanks for looking

Iain

looks like the black hole of calcutta inside that hull :D, when it's cleaned out and painted white it'll be like a different tank and a little nicer to work on.

you're doing a great job , i hope it all goes well

rick

looks like the black hole of calcutta inside that hull :D, when it's cleaned out and painted white it'll be like a different tank and a little nicer to work on.

you're doing a great job , i hope it all goes well

rick

cheers rick from you that is a compliment i been keeping an eye on your churchill and cromwell thread so i know you aint afraid to get your hands dirty .that black stuff is bloody horrible sticks like s**t to a blanket my mrs sharky is not impressed by the colour of the bath erm the towels erm the kitchen .. well lets put it this way black aint really her colour especiallly on our 2 yr old daughters clothes

oh well :angel:

iain

whats the loader your using to lift things thats in the background?

R

Robin

A jcb 540 /70 great bit of kit it lifted the turret plus gun but the tyres went a bit flat and the engine grunted so we thought it best to remove gun its a good bit of kit lift about 4 ton

DSC00081.jpg

thanks iain it's always nice to get a little bit of encouragement from a fellow enthusiast as it can sometimes seem like an almost impossible task, not only do i have to restore the vehicles but i'm still building the workshop to put them in, aswell as developing some land to store the long term projects on, the trouble is the local council collared me and i'm still waiting for their planning decision, in the meantime my bank tried to bankrupt me which left me a little bit short of readies. now that's sorted and i can pay for the churchill to be craned in to my workshop, however the crane guy said his 80 ton crane wouldn't be safe to do the lift so now i'm fabricating a temporary sled from carrier wheels and track to roll the churchill down the embankment to the workshop :nut: i swear this hobby will kill me, i should have took up golf.

apart from that it's all going well :-D

all the best

rick

boo hoo

lol :-D just reread my post and it sounds like a bit of a whinge, sorry iain must have had a low testerone level this morning.

keep the pics coming

Don't feel bad.

can't imagine how difficult it all seems.

Take it 1 step at a time.

Good luck.