Sherman 105mm restoration project

sharky

This is our next major rebuild project .

It is the M4(105) That was at the poteau museum for some years then went to guy gillis in belguim we bought back in july.

overall she is pretty complete internally but running gear requires alot of attention and the engine is in a state as all the starter, magnetos etc have been removed with use of a hammmer (not by us i should mention)thus smashing all front casings.

The aim is to start work soon as and hopefully have her somewhere near by next xmas spare and other projects permitting.

pencil.png

25012011120.jpg

25012011121.jpg

25012011119.jpg

Edited by sharky
mistake

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Buster,

i have photos of the inside but i will have to down size them as i cant seem to upload them to the forum.

Also if someone doesnt beat me to it i'll post the serial number tomorrow as i cant find where i've wrote it down

iain

sticks.jpg

looks like it's had a bit of a fire by the road wheels and interior did the engine survive ok or was that cooked aswell?

good luck with the resto

eddy

cheers Eddy

The fire never got that hot inside so engine isnt melted but as i said before other damage may right off that unit wont know full extend until tomorrow when we grind weld of engine decks and lift engine out .

the roadwheels are cooked apparently but not sure of truth but the tank was used on a dutch range as a petrol bomb target

the roadwheels are cooked apparently but not sure of truth but the tank was used on a dutch range as a petrol bomb target

Sharky,

Great to see this M4(105) back!

Many Sherman tanks were used as Molotov cocktail training aids on Dutch ranges. Because of environmental concerns they were all removed 25 - 30 years ago. This one was deemed not recoverable, which is why it initially survived the so-called "Tank Slag" (tank battle), the clean up of the ranges.

At some point in time it was going to be recovered still and sent off for scrap, but together with a RNLA Major I secured its future in the early 1990s. At that time "USA 30104238" was still barely visible on its side. We found out it was one of 30 M4(105) Shermans supplied to the Netherlands by the USA through MDAP from 1951 onwards, out of a total of about 250.

Later it was traded to a group of restorers in exchange for parts and restoration work on an M10 w/17-pdr. This group sold it to the museum in Belgium (run by a Dutchman) and the rest you know.

Here is hoping it will be fully restored, as even though this Sherman was burned, it has otherwise little damage and should restore nicely.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Hanno

Ref. http://web.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra/g104/nl.htm

Edited by mcspool
added info

Sharky,

Great to see this M4(105) back!

Many Sherman tanks were used as Molotov cocktail training aids on Dutch ranges. Because of environmental concerns they were all removed 25 - 30 years ago. This one was deemed not recoverable, which is why it initially survived the so-called "Tank Slag" (tank battle), the clean up of the ranges.

At some point in time it was going to be recovered still and sent off for scrap, but together with a RNLA Major I secured its future in the early 1990s. At that time "USA 30104238" was still barely visible on its side. We found out it was one of 30 M4(105) Shermans supplied to the Netherlands by the USA through MDAP from 1951 onwards, out of a total of about 250.

Later it was traded to a group of restorers in exchange for parts and restoration work on an M10 w/17-pdr. This group sold it to the museum in Belgium (run by a Dutchman) and the rest you know.

Here is hoping it will be fully restored, as even though this Sherman was burned, it has otherwise little damage and should restore nicely.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Hanno

Ref. http://web.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra/g104/nl.htm

many thanks for that imfo hanno any more ie location of ranges etc would be great.

i will keep posting progress as and when it happens

Iain

Congratulations on purchasing this sherman

It seems fairly complete and in good condition .:-)

I can't wait to see picture about the engine

We lifted the engine(Continental R975 -C4) out today . it took half an hour to dig thru broken glass to find front eng mounts . the clutch, fans and out put flange are all missing and rear of engine is in a state .A strip down will reveal if anything else is salvagable.

Leads on a R975 engine for sale or spares would be most appreceated.

photos havent uploaded in right order.

cheers

Iain

28012011139.jpg

28012011128.jpg

28012011127.jpg

28012011135.jpg

28012011126.jpg

28012011129.jpg

28012011125.jpg

28012011132.jpg

28012011134.jpg

28012011124.jpg

28012011122.jpg

28012011131.jpg

28012011136.jpg

28012011137.jpg

28012011123.jpg

the foot and a half of glass and oily petrol residue (consistency of treakle) has preserved the oil tanks at the bottom where you would expect them to rot out but the petrol has burnt wiring and any soft hose beyond salvage.

Heres some shots of the fighting compartment

turret basket

drivers side

pushing her back into shed with fv432

28012011139.jpg

28012011138.jpg

28012011141.jpg

eddy8men

and petrol doesn't burn for long so you might get lucky with what can be salvaged.

petrol bombs -mixed by the military aren't like those used in salford:cheesy: -they almost always have a heavy oil content often diesel -even palm oil which makes the fire stick and burn longer- this seems to be confirmed by the partially melted balckened glass and the oily residue.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Sharky

Can I have your BV202 so you can have room to store your 105.

Ta

Jon

Ps: is it a private collection or is it open for viewing?

sounds a good idea should i drop it up to you or will you collect ?:laugh:

We are an open collection as much as people are welcome to look round on weekends when we run customers as the site is open then, otherwise its a case of ask and i'll clear it with the boss for any other day.

We are hoping to set up a museum eventually but its a slow process and you to have a certain amount of exhibits of your own before people will then offer us things on loan ,saying that we do have a few donated and loaned items.

No further work on the sherman until we finish an M8 we are half wat thru then full steam ahead .

iain