British Forces Snowmobile?

soupdragon

Does anyone know what make/model of snowmobile was/is used by our guys? I am guessing either Marines, Paras or Special forces. I was recently in a book store and saw an Equipment/catalog type non fiction book which included a snowmobile - in all white naturally, but I don't remember any of the details.

Doubt I'll ever see one up for sale - especially now living in the states, but there are loads for sale here, so I should be able to find one that could be painted as a "replica"...

Thanks in advance for any info.

Howard

VW-powered AKTIV units.

They were not the same as the common (?) red version though. They were canvas topped and looked even smaller and lighter.

Ross at Girvan had dozens of them in the 1980's when they were all demobbed, everything from salvage to as-new, but only a couple of hulks left last time I was there.

If we're talking Snow Tracs they were physically nominally the same build as civillian versions . Most were open bodied with a canvas roof and wider opening at the back door . Fitted for radio vehicles had 24v electrics . Military versions can usually - but not exclusively - be distinguised by the fuel tank mounted externally on the nearside track guard .

Other vehicles were the Volvo BV202 of the late sixties , early seventies era and the successor the Hagglund .

Does anyone know what make/model of snowmobile was/is used by our guys? I am guessing either Marines, Paras or Special forces. I was recently in a book store and saw an Equipment/catalog type non fiction book which included a snowmobile - in all white naturally, but I don't remember any of the details.

Doubt I'll ever see one up for sale - especially now living in the states, but there are loads for sale here, so I should be able to find one that could be painted as a "replica"...

Thanks in advance for any info.

Howard

I,ve got one that lives in the barn ready for me to get around to rebuild it , the make is Bombaedier and it has got a 500cc engine in fact it's a bit of a brute!

• 2 weeks later...

I remember trials on some machines in the early eighties in Norway by british army/marines during Hardfall etc. Not sure what units had them but I am fairly sure of Ski-doo and Polaris examples, they were big, fast and some had trailers.

I have this image of a squadie passing our site at a rate of knots crossing a clear area with his SMG flailing in the wind behind him and him hanging on for dear life but with a huge grin!

all we had at the time were two BV202E......:nut:

challengertwo, thanks for the pic. I'll be able to show it to the local snowmobile shop dude to see if he recognises the manufacturer/year.

Then I can work on the Supacat UK spec mods when I find one and see what it is missing.

Do you remember if it had a motorcycle size/type numberplate or a Union Jack?

If anyone sees this at any of this years shows, I'd appreciate owner contact info or more pics. Thanks.

Thesen were disposed off about 9 years ago

We welded a piece of angle under the front skid to give the steering grip. They are very fast, over the ground we were using you could only use at half throttle, even then you had to hang on for dear life!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41289[/ATTACH]

SNAP thats the same as mine!

Mine has got more of a basket area on the rear

Do you remember if it had a motorcycle size/type numberplate or a Union Jack?

Howard, I have cropped the above photo to show the registration plate more clearly. If you want a copy of the high res image let me know. This skidoo is still in service(or was as of july 2010) with the MOD/RM/Army.

DSC02576-3.jpg

Edited by challengertwo
More information added

Challenger2 thanks for the cropped pic. Strange that the No Plate is on the front. I wonder what the hole above is for - ex head light maybe - the pop studs must be a soft cover or something.

Yes - a high res pic would be great. Is it a "Skidoo" as in the manufacturer or are you useing it as the generic term for such?, like "hoover" the carpet sonny before yer mother gets home!

Cheers Howard

ChlngrII. Well, thanks to your photo, I can safely remove the "?" from the thread title... Stopped off at a ATV/Snowmobile store yesterday to show them the pic and they were very interested.

Turns out your "Generic" was spot on, made by Ski-Doo, it's a modified 'Skandic' SWT (for Super Wide Track).

Update - may be made by 'Lynx' from Norway - also a 'Bombardier' company hence shared components...

They actually had one there, in for service - owned by the local snomobile club for maintaining the trails. It's a bit of a plug - kind of the 4x4 tractor of the over snow world - deffinately not a sports car or racer. It has reverse and Hi/lo transmission and is used in "the back country" for cutting trails, pulling groomers or working hard yanking firewood etc.

There are quite a few Youtube clips of them - inc crossing water!

There is a french (Canadian) vid which shows a 1997 model which seems to be the nearest age wise going by the subtle changes manufacturers make from year to year.

Now to find a decent second hand one...

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by soupdragon
Found more info - Special Forces book and snomobile mags