buried and abandoned tanks

eddy8men

hello to all.new to this site.....!

on the subject of wrecks there are a few still up on Sennybridge Range........two ex soviet/eastern bloc T55s(?) ...the one is in a real state and more or less completely burnt out and full of ash and spent shell cases and barbed wire..the other is out the back of the fibua village beyond the MG range and appears to 'welded up'....this one still looks quite good ( to my eyes anyways!) but whether its got an engine in or not I couldn't see..

..there is also a very rough Chieftain at the other end of the village to the rough T55 that is in a very similar state plus having some heavy damage to the suspension ...

...dotted about the village there are also lots of FV432s (?) tracked carriers in a right proper shot up state, a few Bedford lorries and a civvy pick up truck that resembles a pepperpot due to the attention of some serious GPMG action....

on an earlier thread ...are the Shermans at Biville still there?...anyone mounting a rescue operation yet????

excellent website by the way!

In the late 80's/ early 90's I spent 2 weeks on camp at Sennybridge. The NBC range officer asked us to get the T55 on his range going. I believe it was one of 3 delivered at about that time as Range architecture. I think they were Czech.

I seem to remember that they had been delivered (for whatever reason) to the wrong end of the training area. There were several interesting tales of getting them to their required places.

The one on the NBC range had flat batteries, which we took away and charged for several days. Having refitted them, checked the levels, filled the radiator etc, I had the job of sitting in the drivers seat, and starting it. It did run, but unfortunately one of it's head gaskets had already blown, so it didn't go as well as it should, and in the end it only steered one way as the massive radiator fans blew leaking oil all over the right hand steering bands. It was a fun time, and I often wondered what happened to the 3 tanks.

Jules

The Stainburn Churchill .....I was interested in asking if anyone in the Forum knows the current location of the Stainburn Churchill ..I grew up in Harrogate and had heard of the churchill but despite a few attempts to find it in the extensive woods could not and then saw it had been recovered ...

I moved to Beverley and the Churchill was sited at the now closed Beverly transport museum in the Play Park and effectively was a climbing frame ..I had hoped it would be restored but it looked rather forlorn and neglected .

When the museum was closed I understood it had been put in storage but then heard a rumour that it had been disposed of ...possibly to a Home Guard re enactment group in the newcastle area ,,,/

I would be interested in hearing the full story if anyone had any info ...

In terms of another tank in the woods at Stainburn its a probable story ...the vehicle however is likely to be sunk in well above deck hight as the ground is very marshy and because of the woods you would literally have to be within 20 feet to see it ...If the turret was removed then the hull could be below the surface so you are onto metal detectors to locate it ....The woods are quite significant in area ...very dark and rough so you would need a large team to search the woods in a reasonable timescale ....

I live within 10 miles if the woods so would be happy to join a search ..

Regards

Chris Jenkins

Willys MB

Bantam T3 trailer

Triumph 3 sw

The Stainburn Churchill .....I was interested in asking if anyone in the Forum knows the current location of the Stainburn Churchill ..I grew up in Harrogate and had heard of the churchill but despite a few attempts to find it in the extensive woods could not and then saw it had been recovered ...

I moved to Beverley and the Churchill was sited at the now closed Beverly transport museum in the Play Park and effectively was a climbing frame ..I had hoped it would be restored but it looked rather forlorn and neglected .

When the museum was closed I understood it had been put in storage but then heard a rumour that it had been disposed of ...possibly to a Home Guard re enactment group in the newcastle area ,,,/

I would be interested in hearing the full story if anyone had any info ...

In terms of another tank in the woods at Stainburn its a probable story ...the vehicle however is likely to be sunk in well above deck hight as the ground is very marshy and because of the woods you would literally have to be within 20 feet to see it ...If the turret was removed then the hull could be below the surface so you are onto metal detectors to locate it ....The woods are quite significant in area ...very dark and rough so you would need a large team to search the woods in a reasonable timescale ....

I live within 10 miles if the woods so would be happy to join a search ..

Regards

Chris Jenkins

Willys MB

Bantam T3 trailer

Triumph 3 sw

I know of three loonies who went looking for the missing 'tank' and only found a blown safe. ;)

it was bloody cold wandering around those woods i can tell you :-). the story goes that while the churchill was being recovered a couple of kids came over and asked if the other tank with the little turret was also going to be recovered aswell, so a couple of ta bods went over and found it but no further action was taken so it's still there. we searched the woods to the east for a few hours but came out with nothing other than cold feet, the good news is that the forest is in bad condition and should be felled quite soon so it might well be found by the forestry guys when the clearance is done. time will tell

rick

Hi All,

The ex Beverley Churchill did indeed come North, to lowick, just south of Berwick on Tweed. it did not belong to Beverley and was loaned from the National Army Museum, I think with a view to it going into a new museum(could be wrong on this. I was actually offered a Harrier on the same basis at the same time again owned by the National Army Museum). The Churchill is however now at the Tank Museum and has been externally restored.

Dave.

you've just refreshed my memory, i think the stainburn churchill is a gate guardian at bovvy and has a dummy howitzer stuck in the besa mount to make it look like a mk1. i'll have a look and see if i can get a pic.

rick

Thanks gents for the update ..Nice to think its a Gate Guard at Bovington it looks significantly better than it did in the play park at Beverley ...must admit to being interested in the idea that another vehicle is still stuck in the woods ..I went a couple of weeks ago and a large section of woods by the car park has been cleared but the remaining woods are still very extensive ....

I agree the forestry lads will probably be the best source of info

Jenkinov

What is the ground like around there? Wouldn't the Churchill be very corroded by now? You need to get in touch with Channel 4, I bet they would do a program on finding it, could help out with research too.... I'd watch it, 1000's wouldn't:D

However, finding it on your own or with a small team would be a story for years to come!

Edited by ajmac

While not strictly a tank but definently armour, there is a Staghound and turret a few miles from me. It is minus egines and running gear but I have had discussions with all parties locally and if anyone wants it I am able to locate it easily and all the players are willing to allow civvies to recover it and take ownership of it if anyone has the desire. The Canadian War Museum has been offered it but have declined it.

Robin Craig

Canada

Stainburn woods ..

Ajmac ....the current woods location must have been extremely boggy in the war period ..it has proved perfect for forestry ..They have cut large ditches and then planted the trees on the top of the ditches ..The cumulative effect of the trees is to dry the forest floor up but as soon as the trees are removed it quickly becomes boggy ...The forest is quite treacherous to walk on because of the deep ditches every few metres ,,,Where its been logged the stumps restrict movement and visibility and the dense woods are dark very close ..its not a traditional forest more a tree farm

The armour on a tank would be pitted by the corrosion and thin sheets might be ruined but the true armour plate would doubtless exist ...

I must admit i do feel inspired to have a further hunt ...

Jenkinov

Stainburn woods ..

Ajmac ....the current woods location must have been extremely boggy in the war period ..it has proved perfect for forestry ..They have cut large ditches and then planted the trees on the top of the ditches ..The cumulative effect of the trees is to dry the forest floor up but as soon as the trees are removed it quickly becomes boggy ...The forest is quite treacherous to walk on because of the deep ditches every few metres ,,,Where its been logged the stumps restrict movement and visibility and the dense woods are dark very close ..its not a traditional forest more a tree farm

The armour on a tank would be pitted by the corrosion and thin sheets might be ruined but the true armour plate would doubtless exist ...

I must admit i do feel inspired to have a further hunt ...

Jenkinov

Its interesting underfoot if I can manage it anyone can.

I have no pictures readily to hand.

It would be easier to drive up to where it is and walk out in the swamp to it than find my pictures.

Its high bug season right now so I'm not going out there to "take one for the team" and get some photos, perhaps in the autumn.

Robin

• 3 weeks later...

Just reading 'Battle Thunder', small history of R.A. On page 169, reference to buried guns which is an interesting add on to this thread; "All Britain was scoured for any kind of gun that could be fired. Among those that came to light were 6-pdr Hotchkiss guns from the tanks of 1918, and about a hundred 4" and 12 pdr pieces, said to have been found lying under a mountain of coal at a dockyard after being taken out of warships scrapped under one of the naval disarmament agreements".

I agree the forestry lads will probably be the best source of info

Jenkinov

also local kids often know the location of just about anything in their area......I once spent ages looking for the remains of teh ammunition bunker/store at a long disused rifle range once used by the big US camp that was near to me.......couldn't find the damn thing...nettle stung...wasp stung....branches smacking me in the face for weekends at a time...

....my good lady rather nonchalantly suggests one day "why don't you ask my lad...?"...........an hour or so later I find it exactly where he said it was.......

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I have been following this threads for a while now and to be more active with it I joined up yesterday to ask some questions. I am in Australia and I have seen other aussies on here with what they have found and with what you have laying around over there in England in the tank line it must be heaven. I have been chasing a tank, any tank for the last 15 years, I built a special shed in my yard in Sydney to house one and the ex Mrs put down pavers for a drive way to stop me buying the one I found. Now the new Mrs agrees that I should get a tracked vehicle but she wants a bren gun carrier.

I have found some very sad and very very sad carriers over the years but there are some tanks still to be found out here but our bigest problem in New South Wales is the scrap metal guys as they are just cutting up any thing they get offered and will not accept a offer of up to four times the scrap metal price, capitalism is dead in their world and they have taken every thing. I have been on the trail of a Stuart for two years now and the guy who has it on his land will not let any one in so it just sits there. I saw the posting earlier of the grant and matilda in Victoria but there is a field on the road to south Australia near a town named Pinnaroo with hulls just laying there, I have seen them but been unable to stop and check them out. I enjoy your posts and I will try to give you some idea of what I find out here. If I can work out how to load a photo then I will put up one of a Centurion I found but not for sale and there is one on Ebay for $60,000Aud if you would like to bid but I think its very over priced.. Little Ray

you sound like my kind of guy ray, good luck with your quest. just one word of advice. when you find your tank don't listen to all the doubters and nay sayers just go ahead and follow your instincts and go and get it.

all the best

rick

I saw the posting earlier of the grant and matilda in Victoria but there is a field on the road to south Australia near a town named Pinnaroo with hulls just laying there, I have seen them but been unable to stop and check them out.

If the photos already on the internet, Flickr, Facebook & the like, just copy its url (it'll be http://something or other.jpg) and stick it between url /url (put [] around the url & /url) and it'll appear.

Otherwise, click on the Manage Attachments bit on the Additional Options box below the text box you type in.

If you've got photos of the hulls near Pinnaroo, the owner of "Surviving Panzers" http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Panzers.html

will be most interested (As will many here!)

If you look at the list for Commonwealth WW2 Combat Vehicles, there are many Grant's, Matilda's & Valentine's tanks & hulls (lots of Valentines converted to agricultural tractors) in various bits of Oz.

Edited by Pzkpfw-e

Hi there guys, they are great finds in any ones book, wish I could just dig one up like that. I have been going through this forum last night tiring to stay awake and it is one of the most interesting things I have ever read as well as talking to Adrian045 for nearly and hour or it felt that long. It gave me some ideas on how to find out about lost tanks which the land owner I contacted before said they do not exist. I made three phone calls today and one was to the local fire control officer who I know and in the conversation we worked around to what they find on their inspections. I asked if he had ever seen any tank remains to which he replied that I was mad taking on some thing like that but yes he had and the description he gave is what I was told by a local shooter that went to the property that I had asked about.

There is the remains of two Matilda's spread through the scrub and at least one turret, now my next problem is how to get on to the place to get photos or see if I can get one of them.( the wife could kill me over this one) She was not impressed when I came home last year from a visit to a local village and said I was tiring to get a ferret in a pine tree, her reply was we do not need any more animals. No sense of humor in that girl. The vehicle is in the tree and should be about a foot or two off the ground now as it was parked next to the tree and has not moved forward since then, only up as the branches went under it and started to lift. The asking price for it is $10,000 AUD but will accept $9,000 AUD so if any one from here in Australia wants it I will supply the phone numbers... Little Ray.

good for you ray, go for it. those matilda turrets are like rocking horse sh1t. i don't know why but the turrets are always the hardest part to find of any ww2 tank. wish i could come and give you a lift but i doubt the other half would let me fly to oz , anyway good luck with your treasure hunt :cool2:

rick