buried and abandoned tanks

eddy8men

In a little town near Maastricht (NL) the US army had a repair facility for vehicles in 1944/45. They abandoned a lot of parts coming off. Near a farm they there were laying lots of used sherman tracks. The farmer did cover it's complete back yard with them. Looked great when i visited his farm some 20 years ago. I don't know if they still are out there.

it would be great to get an early cruiser moving again

I'm 100% in agreement with you Rick, early war British armour is poorly represented. It doesn't mater how poor the basis of the project is, there always seems to be people around who have the little bits squirreled away to help complete the project!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm pretty sure this one is the same: lost-tank-5

It is located in the Brander forest near Aachen, Germany.

any idea why they're out there? Doesn't look like they were ever range targets, and it's post war equipment.

Are they still there? Hopefully not cut up and scrapped like the German Churchills and Conquerors

any idea why they're out there? Doesn't look like they were ever range targets, and it's post war equipment.

Are they still there? Hopefully not cut up and scrapped like the German Churchills and Conquerors

It's an ex-military training ground, and is now a nature reserve. Maybe they do not want to recover the tanks to no disturb the nature reserve.

I used to have a link around here somewhere to a site that had lots of pics taken on German gunnery ranges. While that particular may not have seen much target practice (as a target :cool2:), there were others that were pretty shot up.

Matt

looks like the guys at panzer farm in Poland just received a new AFV. You gotta envy these guys, they're the ones who recently pulled 2 German half-tracks out of a river. The work they do is beautiful though, really like the fact that they employed a conservator to save items that still have the majority of their original paint versus just stripping and re-painting.

Here's their new AFV that Santa bought, won't say what it is but posted a teaser pic, any guesses?

panzer.jpg

Isu 152?

yeah you'd think it being in Poland and all but i guess it's an M26 Pershing, you can see the missing spot for the M71 auxiliary scope on the right but the strut on the left, ( elevation mechanism or vertical stablizer?) had me stumped. At some point it was replaced by a straight piston, so this must be a very early model.

Up here in my neck of the woods when I started in the world of military vehicles there was a story which carried in the newspapers. It was of a Covenanter, I think, that had sunk down in a bog during 1940 after a training exercise when it broke down. Approaches were made to find it, the story goes that the did, but it was several metres down to top of turret. Because it was in a bog on the slope of hillside it was said that removal was not possible as it would require removing half the hillside. Not sure there wouldn't be another way.

I have a letter somewhere from the Army to a friend of mine saying he could have the tank but they must be first in to clear any ordinance. Oh and the farm it is supposed to be on has changed hands with the new owner uncooperative reckoning he is onto a good thing!

That's where the story is so far.

• 2 weeks later...