buried and abandoned tanks

eddy8men

thanks Adrian much appreciated. I had no idea until dave h spoke to me that there were other early cruiser tanks still around. which is surprising considering their relatively thin armour but after reading what bob has put about budge I find it hard to understand how someone can recover a tank and then scrap it, especially when there is only one example surviving. it reminds me of the museum in Normandy that scrapped the A13 because the armour had cracked and the turret had fell into the hull, again only one surviving example. the truth is not many could care less about british armour ! maybe we aren't glamorous enough.

anyway with 2xA9 wrecks it would become much more feasible to restore one to running condition or at least get it moving under it's own power. so if anyone reading this has £20k and 5 years to spare then stand up and be counted !

rick

Does anyone know what became of those Bulgarian dug in German tanks (PzIV, Stug III, JgdPzIV etc) that were in the news four or so years ago? I recall most if not all were excavated and brought to a holding area, a while later some photos surfaced of a number being rebuilt, but to what level I am unsure. At the time there was talk of them being offered to Bulgarian museums and also public auction but I never heard any more about them. The other day a video surfaced on youtube which was supposedly taken in 2014 showing a number of unrestored Pz in a holding area on Bulgaria...is that auction likely still to happen?

Several have been cosmetically restored externally, they were emplaced without engines & often their tracks & other running gear too.

It's assumed that the tarted-up ones will be put into museums, but to my knowledge, no locations are known.

however it's not all bad news as I found an A9 cruiser wreck on a disused range and although it is smashed I will recover it if possible and see if I can't put it back together or find somebody else enthusiastic enough to take it on !

Hi - this is my first post on this forum so hello to all. Strangely the reason that prompted me to join was to show some photos of this very same tank that I took last year. Looks like I got beaten to it!

I was going to post them as I didn't know what it was and was hoping someone could ID it - again beaten to it! I found out about the wrecked 'tank' a while ago but on seeing it I didn't think it was a tank as there was a lack of substantial plate or virtually any body at all. I thought the ring may be a turret ring but it seemed far too flimsy! I assumed it to be some sort of Carrier - the suspension units (which are the best preserved bits on the whole thing) look similar to me! But an A9 - thats excellent!

Its actually reasonably well known locally even appearing as a landmark in at least one local walking guidebook!

hi spacehopper

please post up your pics, the more the merrier.

I too was amazed at just how thin the armour was, things have come a long way since then with regard to armour ! infact thinking about it the Churchill entered service only 2 years after the A9 and that has a maximum of 7" of armour over the hull gunner as opposed to 1/2" for the A9. I know which one i'd rather be in.

having said that the A9 is still an important tank and was the first real "modern" tank to enter service and is well worth saving especially now Adrian has told us of another wreck :cool2:

rick