buried and abandoned tanks

eddy8men

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I know she had to be 'saved' from sliding down the bank and also from the attentions of the local scrap fellas but.........

.....in many ways sticking her up on that concrete plinth spoilt her uniqness I reckon.but....way better that than have some chancer cut her up with a gas lamp :)

What's really amazing about this Russian tank is that they get it up and running, after having spent God knows how many years parked in the same spot. One can see that it has sunk down into the ground quite a bit. And I wonder where the tank was parked as it would have been picked absolutely clean of any removable parts in a short period of time, if it had been somewhere where the public can get to it.

Goran N

What's really amazing about this Russian tank is that they get it up and running, after having spent God knows how many years parked in the same spot. One can see that it has sunk down into the ground quite a bit. And I wonder where the tank was parked as it would have been picked absolutely clean of any removable parts in a short period of time, if it had been somewhere where the public can get to it.

Goran N

Try Google translate on this blog post: http://npf-tanais.blogspot.ru/2012/09/1944.html

Andy

Has this one been posted before..... brings a tear to my eye :-D

Just amazing.....For me the best part was it puling out of the earth where it had been so long.......I too wonder how long it was there....I wish I had just some of the talent that they and Richard Farrant have.....Just amazing how great these mechanics are and what they do to preserve history.............

• 2 weeks later...

According to the article that acompanied that link, the vehicle was given to that village not too long after the war for use as a monument. The town couldn't raise the money for the concrete platform so there is where the tank sat until it was found by the guys in the video. They did mention that anything that could easily be removed by scrappers/souvineer hunters was. Interestingly enough, the article also mentions the town using "their" tank to remove some old growth trees from the town center. I imagine a mechanical brute like that would have little trouble with that task.

Matt

Also interesting as it looks like the gun had never been de-milled until these guys came along

Mind you I know of a museum like that :D

In the coments section of that link there was a lot of stink made about them destroying the gun tube. As much as I am sympathetic to them, if it's the law, then it's the law. There also was a coment made about 60 of these vehicles being used & then buried at Chernoble (sorry for the mispelling).

Matt

Plenty of ex-MVs used at Chernobyl, none were buried, they're just sitting on the surface. No ISU152 or its tractor/ARV variants to my knowledge.

Yes I've seen the photos of all that gear just sitting in neat rows (glowing :cool2:) . The reference to the ISU152s being there was in the coments section of that link. This doesn't make it true-just putting a source from where I read it.......

Matt

I love hearing things like this, would love to visit some of these site and rummage around. but there is not a lot in my area of Essex/Suffolk

Hi ya.

I was brought up in Essex, and have heard a few stories from veterans about what is in the area.

One story, that appears to be true, is of the Bren Gun Carriers loaded with ammo that were buried in the grounds of Hylands House in Chelmsford. The story goes that the SAS had 'acquired' more ammunition than they were issued with, so when they left Hylands, they buried three Bren Gun Carriers stacked with the 'acquired' ammo somewhere in the grounds of the stately home. I was told where they might be buried, and after a bit of asking about it seems that Essex County Council know the exact location of these vehicles.

More tales of buried vehicles in Essex if you are interested....

I wonder where that was....

I see that they have all had their final drives removed. Canibalised for others or a way to imobilise them?

David

If I understand correctly, the final drive was a weak point of the Panther as it ended up weighing vastly more than it was designed for. I'd imagine it would be a desirable thing to remove from an unsalvageable tank before moving on.

I can't imagine you'd go to that trouble to immobilise it.