buried and abandoned tanks

eddy8men

The current status of these tanks (& others like the Crusaders & 15cm sFH 13/1(Sf) auf Gw Lorraine Schlepper(f) are unknown.

It's also unknown to me, why the hell this is all underlined!

Ive seen pictures of the Lorraine Schlepper, it needs saving :)

Sd. Kfz 135-1.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Lorraine_Irak.jpg

Edited by shadow_wolf
adding photos

Some break down, the engine has completely vanished. Bet the AA don't see that often !

Talking of Covenanters, I remember as a child in about 1962, there was a covenantor hull with a lot missing from it on the entrance to some open land to which the public had access, possibly an ex range. I was about 8 at the time but I can clearly remember the double skinned hull that sloped down at the back. We lived in Ilford, Essex at the time and had gone to visit "aunty June" and as it was a nice day we had to go for a walk. I don't remember it being that far from home, maybe 3/4 hour max drive, and was relatively open country. My father denies all knowledge of the trip but someone here might just remember it. (not the trip, the tank !).

David

Breakdown! Seeing that there is a missing engine that is a severe breakdown.

completly of topic but i was called out by a recovery club to a member who had a non start VW camper. he had driven from cumbria to a garage in north yorkshire for prearranged repairs to a much cherished vehicle however he was late getting there and had parked in a pub yard and gone in for a bite to eat and a drink . next morning he tryed to start vehicle no go dead. i went on arrival curtains were drawn so walked round i noticed back bumper on floor i lifted engine flap on back and spotted no engine. then owner walked out of pub where he had been having breakfast. i gave him my considered opinion why his camper would not start. He had slept in it all night and heard nothing but said it would be easy to reognise the engine as it had many chrome parts on it.

i rung our base to ask recovery club asking for permission to to relay to owners home address as engine had gone. permission refused not specific details was it it a piston crank ignition problem ?. No SOMEBODY HAS PINCHED THE BLOODY ENGINE

completly of topic but i was called out by a recovery club to a member who had a non start VW camper. he had driven from cumbria to a garage in north yorkshire for prearranged repairs to a much cherished vehicle however he was late getting there and had parked in a pub yard and gone in for a bite to eat and a drink . next morning he tryed to start vehicle no go dead. i went on arrival curtains were drawn so walked round i noticed back bumper on floor i lifted engine flap on back and spotted no engine. then owner walked out of pub where he had been having breakfast. i gave him my considered opinion why his camper would not start. He had slept in it all night and heard nothing but said it would be easy to reognise the engine as it had many chrome parts on it.

i rung our base to ask recovery club asking for permission to to relay to owners home address as engine had gone. permission refused not specific details was it it a piston crank ignition problem ?. No SOMEBODY HAS PINCHED THE BLOODY ENGINE

there was a bunch of lads that had blown their engine on the outskirts of Perth in WA but lived in Kalgoorlie so they got a tow to the next town. Then pushed it out of town and got another friendly tow. For 600km's :shocked:

bob

i saw the pic on ebay and the description was "tank on moors 1969 press photo" it also said there was writing on the back. i've just bought it so i'll let you know what it says when it arrives.

i can feel an after the battle moment coming on.

I don't think that photo is from 1969, the clothing and hairstyles look more like late 40's/early50's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

here's what i think is a cavalier op tank sitting on a beach in wales. the story goes that it was on a d day landing exercise and hit a patch of quicksand and the decision was made to strip it and leave it where it was and it has sat under the sand until recently. if anyone wants to have a closer look it's on morfa beach near port talbot. (don't forget your bucket and spade).

morfa beach cromwell.jpg

this valentine was dragged out of an indian river in 2008. i don't think they know what type of tank it is so i'd bet it's still sitting in a corner of an indian army camp waiting for someone to make a decision.

here's a link to the story http://www.dailyexcelsior.com/web1/11june08/news.htm#top

A story well worth reading being written in the style of 1950's British newspaper and slightly more accurate than the modern tabloid.

Rick, I agree, your tank in the beach in S Wales is probably a Cavalier but it could be a Centaur 1. The only difference that would be visible is the extreem rear and it's a bit hard to see from this angle. The blanked off bow M/G was only because the gun mounts were in short supply and so they didn't bother with them on tanks being used for training and for conversions like Centaur Dozers that didn't need them. It does seem to have the very early track with a groove all the way across the grouser which again would point to Cavalier but it does turn up on Centaur too and is hard to be sure of in that photo anyway. Nice find but even the brass bits will be useless having been in the sea for so long.

David

thanks for the info david, i hadn't realised that some gun tanks didn't have besa's fitted in the hull. it was that and the early type hull with both hatches on top that made me think cavalier.

there's a part of me that wants to have a go at getting it out but to be honest i've more than enough rusty armour to keep me busy for a while !

rick

Now that the burried Spitfire fairytale is out of the way does anybody know anything about destroyed Shermans and Cromwells in Palestine. i was given a pile of Windscreen back issues and there was an interesting letter in it:

"I served in 6th Airborne division and one of the tasks allotted to my unit 1 A/B Sqn RE was the destruction of shermans, Cromwells and AFV's of all types during the evacuation from Palestine in 1948. We tipped the vehicles in to a deep ravine near Athlit, placed cutting charges on turrets and bodies and blew them, then at the end we poured 5,000 gallons of flame thrower liquid, lit the fuse and ran very fast. 612 AFV's altogether".

Ken Treggo

What chance that anything still remains?

Tim

My grandfather served with the SBS in palestine and he said they were being stocked with war surplus vehicles all the time so what they used to do was set fire to them and push them into the nearest ravine he mentions staghounds jeeps dingos 15cwt bedfords etc etc with myself owning a few military vehicles years ago he would come out when my latest toy arrived home and say thats a chevrolet 11 cab or a dingo etc etc and i said nothing to him before hand . He also said that they used to push the kit into the sea as well so somone in palestine got rich doing the scrap out there i reckon