buried and abandoned tanks

eddy8men

no kidding, those manuals are amazing.

I have to ask though, A Panda for a combat unit mascot to Strike fear into the enemy? , not too many people are deathly afraid of Pandas :-D

Hey Rick I hope your Divining rod is in good shape

So according to the article, there is definitely one more there " in really bad shape" that they left, and maybe as many as 2 more on top of that in unknown, un-dug condition.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]120369[/ATTACH]

Apparently Panda was meant to be a pun on Panzer - who knows.

i have arranged to see the vineyard owner this week for a face to face meeting.

i have a feeling i will be digging up tanks for xmas :)

Hopefully they will look like this. I have finally found my old slides (dated March 1981), converted them to JPEGs, reduced the size and here they are. One interesting point is the symbol on the front stowage bin (last pic) - it appears to be 79th AD which blows all my theories regarding 9th AD out of the window.11-21-2016_007small.jpg Possibly Bovington will have a record of what it was like before they restored it. The fifth pic is looking downwards through the turret opening.

11-21-2016_001small.jpg

11-21-2016_002small.jpg

11-21-2016_004small.jpg

11-21-2016_005small.jpg

11-21-2016_006 small.jpg

This may sound stupid but if they uncovered 2, why not recover both and use the second for parts or a template? Sod's law dictates that you fill in the hole burying the second tank and then 12 months down the line you realise something on your recovered tank is missing or broken and you wish you'd kept that other one!

Tony, I assume from your comment that's the one that went to Bovvy. Did you get any photos of the ones that were put back? Might be handy to know exactly how bad they are...

No, the first I knew of it was when a chap came into my shop and said that I might be interested as they had dug a 'Sherman tank' up at Bradley farm.

This may sound stupid but if they uncovered 2, why not recover both and use the second for parts or a template? Sod's law dictates that you fill in the hole burying the second tank and then 12 months down the line you realise something on your recovered tank is missing or broken and you wish you'd kept that other one!

Chris, knowing Rick I suspect if it works out he won't stop at one - he'll be bringing up anything vaguely tank-like that's down there.

to be honest i'd be happy with one :-D however if more are to be found then i'm up for it but the thought of all those lovely grapevines getting crushed under the digger tracks is not a good one and making good the ground after we've gone is going to be the hardest part of the job !

Do we know why they were buried there? Seems to be a lot of work, dig a hole, shove three (?) tanks into it & backfill.

The unit who did it probably had no paperwork to support them, so could not hand them back, better to make them disappear. They would have been obsolete by that time I guess. I read somewhere that a Canadian tank workshop was nearby at the time.

SUCCESS

met the owner today and he wants to excavate the reburied tank as an exhibit and look for the others that he believes are there. we went to the dig site and the access is good and i can see no issues to prevent us from recovering at least one tank if not more. the tanks must be recovered before april. so i need a ground radar asap. does anyone have any leads for me to follow :thumbsup:

Would a magnetometer survey be better? Big lumps of iron shouldn't be that hard to locate and something the size of a tank is certain to distort the earth's magnetic field.

Chris.

Would the MOD help with this Rick its worth asking

Al

Rick, have emailed. Best bet might be to talk to geophysics people or archaeologists. Several options including GPR, magnetometers, electrical resistance, EM conductivity, even metal detectors perhaps.

University Earth Science or Archeology departments might be able to help, or at least offer advice and contacts - see if you can get to talk to someone at UofM or the Metropolitan uni.