buried and abandoned tanks

eddy8men

it's like that is it.

let's all have a laugh at the slightly deranged suicidal tank addict. well i will have the last laugh or my names not eddy.

seriously though it's not that hard, just have to make sure the pipes connecting the jacks to the power pack are really long :)

I sure hope you guys are just " Avin a Laff" as salvage diving at "only 20M down" is still dangerous as hell. There's a reason why the guys that do this professionally charge an arm and a leg just to re-float someones fiberglass boat in 60 feet of water.

At 80 feet a 5 minute decompression before surfacing is still required, never mind the hazards of getting tangled or caught up in the wreck.

the only way this makes any sense is paying professionals and then salvaging all the vehicles to spread the cost across across as many re-sellable units as possible.

Didn't Mr. Kevin salvage some E-boat Engines not too long ago from the coast of Denmark or some such? He could porbably throw out a good estimate if someone can ask him?

here it is, does anyone know if this ever went past the salvage rights (paperwork) stage?

He recently acquired the salvage rights on three sunken Schnellboots off the Danish coast and plans to bring up original parts to help the restoration.

The project will take up to five years after which it is hoped the vessel will become a floating museum and visitor attraction.

Mr Wheatcroft said: "I've always been fascinated with Schnellboots and she is one of the most famous.

"The intention is to return her to her original state and into a moving museum."

He added: "Over the years I have collected a lot of parts including engines, gun platforms, a complete radio and bridge equipment.

"I have acquired salvage rights on three Schnellboot wrecks off the Danish coast. They were sunk after the war in 1948 and 1949, so are not war graves.

"I hope to be able to get an armoured bridge, torpedo tubes and mine racks from the sunken ships.

• 2 weeks later...

The mention of Valentine Tanks in Studland Bay was how I came to find this forum, so I thought I would share some of the underwater scans I have made of the tanks. Be prepared to weep, they are not in great shape...seawater and Royal Navy EOD has seen to that:-

https://sketchfab.com/simonbrown/folders/valentine-tanks-of-studland-bay

I have also scanned an AVF 432 hull that has been dumped in a quarry to act as a diver distraction:-

https://sketchfab.com/models/bb16a8d1eb304a32b0382f202d47e307

As for the Centaurs off Selsey...well nothing is impossible but I suspect the preservation costs would outweigh the not insignificant recovery bill.

simon those images are amazing, how do you do it ?

Many thanks. Glad you liked the models.

A quick summary would be something like this; learn to dive & survive, gain experience, learn to manipulate a camera and light underwater, dive when the tide and underwater visibility is in your favour, shoot hundreds or thousands of images, process said images into a 3D model...but there is a lot that can go wrong...the underwater world is entered at risk, the conditions vary from being able to see perhaps 10m (in Studland Bay) to not seeing your hand in front of your face, the use of flash guns underwater cause issues, knowing what the camera can do and works best at takes time, kit can fail to work, the resulting images can have issues that mean they won't align and build a model...the list goes on.

And to get real detail, you need a lot of images. Valentine Tanks numbered 1 & 2 had around 450 images per tank, and tanks 4 & 5 were treated to around 800 images per tank.

I covered the aligning, building and meshing step in more detail when I scanned the yacht Dolly Varden:-

http://www.dollyvarden.co.uk/restoration/3d-modelling/

simon i thought you were going to tell me about the all singing all dancing sonar you tow behind your boat but looks like you did it the hard way, fair play to you fella.

I wouldn't even pretend to know much about sonar, save as to reviewing the results and having a guess how many cannons/anchors are on the site.

But yes, multibeam sonar can generate models. But the costs are - I believe - prohibitive for individuals, and you do not get a true colour render like the AFV432 example.

The Shipwreck Project is where all this photogrammetry kicked off (http://www.theshipwreckproject.com) from, and we are looking at ways of doing a 3D scan without putting a diver in the water, but it won't involve sonar.

Those 3D models are amazing!!

Thank you.

• 1 month later...