Bayonet, No. 7 Mk. I. (Great Britain)

airportable

My knowledge on this bayonet is a little limited. Understand was issued in 1946 only to the Guards Brigade, mainly for ceremonial use. Seems a rather expensive bayonet for that use only.

Fitted .303 No. 4, Sten Mk.V.

But also found ref. it was for the EM2 assault rifle. Any one know if that is correct or of further versions.

Thanks. Andy.

2011-01-21 No. 7 Mk.I Bayonet.jpg

These are usualy encountered with BROWN Tuffnel grips. The GUARDS were the FIRST to recieve them in Service because they looked bigger & better on a No.4 Rifle on Cerimonial duties! The version for the Experimental EM1 Rifle project was SIMILAR, but NOT the same! It had a MUCH SMALLER hole in the cross guard for the projecting Rifle barrel muzzle.

Unusualy a bayonet that was overly complecated for it's intended task! It aslo was a weak design, in that the 'Pommel' was able to rotate 3069 degrees & lock in either of two positions. That was a weak centre point in this Bayonet & fractures happend frequently! Interesting point in the spares parts list for the MKV Sten. Is the fact that the sten MKV had THIS bayonet only as the approved issue! BUT, the sten could in fact accept ANY of the spike bayonet series range!

Was the No. 7 not removed from use with the No4 rifle because some one discharged a round when the bayonet wasn't locked and the round and bayo disintegrated. After this event, it was only to be used on the MK5 sten. This may of course be one of those urban myths as I've only ever read about it second hand, never seen an official directive.

:angel:

Was the No. 7 not removed from use with the No4 rifle because some one discharged a round when the bayonet wasn't locked and the round and bayo disintegrated. After this event, it was only to be used on the MK5 sten. This may of course be one of those urban myths as I've only ever read about it second hand, never seen an official directive.

It was removed because it was an ineffcient & expensive design! :D I have no doubt that there were indeed incidents of bayonets getting 'Damaged' through the negligence of the user incorrectly fitting the Bayonet. This also happens to a LOT of Bayonets from EVERY concievable Country in Service. When the user does not fit & CHECK that the Bayonet IS fitted properly! I have written countless reports as 'expert witness' statements in Service. Used as evidence against a poor unfortunate Squaddie who failed to fit his bayonet correctly. The resultant Bullet exiting the barrel hit the spines & shattered blades VERY efficiently! There is a clear expalination in the Rifles user handbooks on ftting bayonets & how they can be VERY easily & quickly checked. If the user got 'sloppy' & failed to do this. Then the resultant 'Diciplinary action' usualy ended in a Charge on OC's Orders for damaging Government Property! Remember, we ALL pay Taxes, so the recovery of funds for a replacement should fall to the negligent, & NOT the Tax payer again!.....:angel:

• 2 months later...

Thought I would post a pic or two of the No.5.

I'm now a little confused about wether this one is Mk.II as my ref. books state or Mk.I as in my L2A3 users hand book, dated 1977. Ref. books state Mk.I became oboslete 1947. Mk.I, I thought only had one screw bolt securing the grips. A very rare bayonet.

2011-04-01 Bayonet collection (2).JPG

2011-04-01 Bayonet collection (5).jpg

My knowledge on this bayonet is a little limited. Understand was issued in 1946 only to the Guards Brigade, mainly for ceremonial use. Seems a rather expensive bayonet for that use only.

Fitted .303 No. 4, Sten Mk.V.

But also found ref. it was for the EM2 assault rifle. Any one know if that is correct or of further versions.

Thanks. Andy.

Hi,

I've been collecting Bayonets for a few years and found some good reference books you might be interested in.

By far the best one for British Bayonet I've found history is by Graham Priest's " Spirit of the Pike".

Its still in the shops. You could try:

http://www.battledressandbayonet.com/prod_desc_SPIRITPIKE.html?sno=298

Hope this helps.

Doug