Can someone ID this vehicle please?

Kfz70

Question

7 answers to this question

The heading photo is interesting if it was taken in late 1945 as it appears that the second soldier is armed! No wonder the men in the Armoured car have turned round in amazement! I didn't think the Allies allowed any Germans to be armed so soon after the war - except perhaps the Civil Police Force? But these two don't exactly look like civilians!

They are from the Feldgendarmerie (military police). SOme interesting snippits of info for you:

When Major Richard Winters (506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, US Army) was confronted with approximately 14,000 armed German soldiers in the vicinity of Zell am See, Austria, on the 9th of May 1945, he decided to permit all of their officers to retain their side arms and, likewise, keep all their military policemen armed as well. "Nobody had told me, to the best of my knowledge, how to handle it. I think that I made this up on the spur of the moment. They [the Germans] worked out fine - there was no trouble between us. We weren't looking for any trouble because I only had about a battalion at that time - about 400 men probably, and we were vastly over-numbered. They could have wiped us out with the back of their hand, so you were careful about how you were talking and how you were acting because you didn't want to be ambushed here, and they could have wiped us out in a minute. The German military police were guarding their senior officers and any other duties they performed were left up to the Germans themselves. After telling them what I wanted them to do, and assigning them the areas that we wanted them to gather in and standby, I just pulled out and let them run their own show - I wasn't there to be a policeman. These guys were Prussian, professional soldiers, and I was a civilian soldier. You saw them [German military policemen] as you passed by, and they were standing in a doorway, and they were top-notch soldiers. They commanded your respect as a soldier and they were very professional. They ceased their duties after about 10 days to 2 weeks, when all the German POW's were moved out of Austria".

By 1943, the war was clearly starting to turn against Germany and morale amongst the front line troops was getting lower and lower. Until this time, the Feldgendarmerie and Geheime Feld Polizei had been relied upon to try and curb desertion and maintain discipline, however these men had other duties as well and the situation was getting out of hand. In November 1943, a new formation was created - the Feldjägerkorps. In order to be eligible for service, soldiers had to have a minimum 3 years frontline combat experience and have earned the Iron Cross 2nd class.

After the surrender of Germany, Feldjägerkommando III remained armed and at the disposal of the US Army in order to maintain discipline amongst the German PoWs. Feldjägerkommando III finally and formally surrendered its arms to the Allies on 23rd June 1946.

I have a few photos of the Feldgendarmerie still armed after the war ended