Vulcan six-wheeler

Runflat

Thanks Richard. Does the CM article say what the normal control version is called?

I seem to recall reading that Paul Bowyer had three Vulcan six-wheelers at one time; selling them on when he became more interested in his Morris Commercial D-types. From memory, half of the remains were sold in one direction and the remainder in another. I wish I could find where I read this. I've no idea whether the vehicle in this recent sale is connected to this story...

Thanks Richard.

L Geary's book "Rootes Commercial Vehicles" lists a bewildering array of different models produced by Vulcan. The VSW is listed as a 30/40 cwt truck chassis (couldn't they make up their mind?), a six wheeler in both normal and semi-forward control variants. However, he goes on to say they were produced 1930/1931! That may explain why they're not on your 1927 list. You're probably right about not being listed if they were only made available to the War Department.

Still, Bob will soon be the expert and be able to fill in the gaps.

L Geary's book "Rootes Commercial Vehicles" lists a bewildering array of different models produced by Vulcan. The VSW is listed as a 30/40 cwt truck chassis (couldn't they make up their mind?), a six wheeler in both normal and semi-forward control variants. However, he goes on to say they were produced 1930/1931! That may explain why they're not on your 1927 list. You're probably right about not being listed if they were only made available to the War Department.

In Bart Vanderveen's directory of pre 1940 mv's, the Vulcan VSW is shown as a 3 ton lorry and dated at 1927. Recently a friend's late 1920's Karrier WO6 featured on a thread, and it would be in the same weight classification, both having the WD pattern rear bogie.

• 4 months later...

Some snippets from Motor Transport from 1927 & 1928:

February 21st, 1927: Test report on Vulcan type VSW "a new rigid-framed chassis designed to meet War Office requirements". (This is probably very similar to the Commercial Motor report of a similar date mention by Richard.)

May 30th, 1927: Vulcan 17.9 h.p. six-wheeler demonstrated, along with six-wheelers of various other makes, to delegates from the Colonial Conference across the Chobham Ridges and Long Valley.

August 8th, 1927: Report of War Office orders during June for six-wheel chassis divided between Vulcan, Guy, Thornycroft and Morris Commercial.

September 5th, 1927: Report of War Office orders during July for six-wheeled lorries from Karrier and six-wheeled chassis from Vulcan.

December 26th, 1927: Report of Vulcan recently receiving orders for six-wheelers from the War Office, India Office and South Africa.

September 24th, 1928: Report that the Army Council has placed an order with Vulcan for a further batch of six-wheeled chassis.

I think that some of the confusion over quoted weights for these vehicles stems from the fact that where a vehicle is quoted as 30 / 40 cwt, the former is across rough terrain and the latter on reasonable roads. Back to Great War days the smaller lorries such as the Daimler 'CB' were lettered 'Load not to exceed 1 ton 15 cwt' whereas the manufacture quoted it as a 2 ton lorry, most larger vehicles were rated as 3 ton but after the war manufacturers immediately uprated them to at least 4 ton, further most were constructed in such a way that they were more than capable of carrying weights in excess of that. American tons were different from ours just to add to the confusion. Also no trade description act at the time and little previous experience within the haulage industry. On a more historical note the Heavy Motor Car order of 1904 coming into force 1/1/1905 the unladen weight, front axle weight and rear axle weight had to be displayed on the vehicle and the licence application had to include wheel diameters and widths , whether solid rubber or steel shod etc. all to be taken into consideration.

Richard Peskett.

A little more on the 1920s 'subsidy' vehicles. Following the introduction of the scheme in 1924 these vehicles were a world apart from the left overs of WW1. Chance of further European conflict was forgoten so vehicles were designed for use in the desserts of North Africa and the Middle East, tropical conditions of central Africa and the India Office. Many had additional cooling capacity , possibly oil coolers and only canvas weather protection. The World's Carriers October 1924 and March 1925 has good detailed information on 30/40 cwt Albion, Crossley, Guy, Karrier and Thornycroft for WD use. From these first two axle vehicles came the demand for larger and the three axle varients appeared. Looking at the design of these vehicles I would think that there was little take up by civilian users and the subsidy claimed, most would have been sold direct to the WD, India Office, etc..

Richard Peskett.

A few further references to these mid 1920s War Office Subsidy Vehicles from The World's Carriers: March 1927 - Karrier 3/4 ton 'WO6' rigid. June 1927 - Crossley 20 / 30 cwt.. October 1927 - Guy 3/5 ton, Karrier 'WO6 ' 2/3 ton, Thornycroft 'A3' 30 / 50 cwt.. January 1928 - Albion 4 ton.

Richard Peskett.

Bob, I've now found where I read about the other Vulcans: The Automobile magazine, July 1985 -

This [photo] is one of two 1928 Vulcan VSW 6x4 models found by Paul Bowyer... They belonged to a farmer who had used them for hauling thrashing tackle. Both were fairly rough and when some rather similar but more restorable Morris-Commercial D types were acquired Paul sold the Vulcans. The new owner did little to preserve them and when last heard of they were in the Basingstoke area... Their chassis numbers were VSW 13 and 51 with registrations MP8871 and MV5925...

I don't know where I read about Paul having three of these vehicles. Perhaps I read something elsewhere!?

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

I thought some of you might be interested to hear what happened to the other Vulcan VSW's No 13 and 51.

It all gets a bit complicated and i'm happy to be corrected but from what I can understand, 3 Vulcans were collected together for restoration, VSW 13 and 16 (30cwt) and VSW 51 (3 Ton). All were in quite poor condition and a good one was made out of the three on the best chassis, VSW 16.

VSW 51 was in the worst condition and was broken up to provide parts, all that remains is the rear bogie assembly and a few other bits and pieces.

VSW 13 is fairly complete, but the 30cwt rear bogie was sold as spares with number 16 at some point, if anyone knows the whereabouts of these axles I would be very interested to hear from you as I have just taken on VSW 13 and the remains of VSW 51 as a project!

There are a few bits missing, the radiator core and top tank, bonnet and bodywork,a few engine parts and the original 30 cwt rear axles. The 3 ton axles look like they should fit, but i will probably have to make some new mounting brackets as they are slightly larger.

DSCF0963.jpg?t=1327336363

First time its seen daylight for nearly 30 years.

DSCF0966.jpg?t=1327336364

Bits and peices!

DSCF0969.jpg?t=1327336368

This is a spare Vulcan engine which is a later model, the crank case and most of the bottom end looks to be the same as the original engine so hopefully it will provide some usefull parts.

I hope the pictures come out as this is the first time i've tried posting photos.

If anyone has any information on these trucks or any leads on parts please get in touch, I would be very grateful for any help!

Edited by handy1882
Messed my photobucket account up and lost pictures

Hi Redherring,

Yes quite a few bits, shame there aren't a few more! Should keep me out of trouble for a little while.

The original engine is a Vulcan 3X4 I think its 17.9hp, 85mm bore x 130mm stroke.

I have some pictures of the engine that the previous owners took when it was more complete, i'll try and scan them later.

I've not looked at the engine too much yet as i've only had the project for a few weeks, everything is soaking in a big bucket of WD40 for now.

Rob.

Edited by handy1882

My Vulcan is Chassis No16 and MP8874, so its not one of those. I must crack on with it but that chap who is into Lunacy

keeps stopping me with the cup that cheers but does not inebriate...........

Time to stop all that Mr Grundy and take your paraldehyde otherwise you will be purchasing an Austin Champ or worse still dressing as an eighteen your old of the 82nd Airborne Division

• 2 weeks later...
Whenever I have seen an ancient engine recovered by somebody, it always has the head off or the plugs out. Why is that? Surely used plugs can't have had any value? Or am I missing something?

I think you have a challenge there!

Steve

I've noticed this as well, been looking for an engine recently and seen a couple in the same state, always thought that the last person to try to start it had given up when the @*****# plugs fowled up yet again!

Then some one has suggested taking the head off for a looksee and that's done it, given up completely!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes there is quite a lot of work there, it has been dismantled by a previous owner since those pictures were taken, but it is the original engine for the vehicle so it would be nice to get it going again. Hopefuly the later spares engine I have will yield some usefull bits. Not really looked at the engine too closely yet as I have been concentrating on rebuilding the front axle, repairing the chassis and trying not to get too overwhelmed with the amount of work ahead!

I was thinking about doing a restoration blog when i've made a bit more progress if anyone is interested?