Tank graveyard par excellance!

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/vatryk/view/329954/?page=11

About 10 photos, no date or location given, Russian website.

Shows M10s, an M3 Lee/Grant and an interesting Sherman with extra turret armour and a vision-blocked cupola.

Be warned, you could (& probably will!) spend hours looking through this guy's photos, there's all sorts of tasty military junk there!

Yes very interesting, I found this on a french forum:

le propriétaire n'est pas disposé à se séparer de ces engins

quel que soit leur état..

which translates to (according to google translate):

the owner is not willing to part with these devices

whatever their status ..

Adrian Barrell

.......I understand the owner is fed up with being asked ....

On the other hand he is probably about as fed up as other denizens are at having the place look like a set from a Borat movie:-D

-simple situation if you don't want people forever asking about the status of the "abandoned property/vehicles" make sure the place doesn't look abandoned.

Steve

You have to wonder why...

Of course he's going to do them up one day :-D A little longer and the tanks will have been completely overgrown so no-one will notice them anymore and the owner can enjoy them in silence.

Here's another Sherman in France, looking quite abandoned: http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/vatryk/view/329982?page=10

Where's Eddy? Ah, he's already on the ferry . . . ;)

Eddy doesn't like Shermans*.... well not normal ones at any rate! Don't know how old the owner of the French tanks is but my Dad said of a vehicle we once found and which wasn't forsale as he was going to restore it one day (after the other 25 vehicles he had on this list), "Just wait for him to pass on, you can go to the Auction when the family clear the land" :cry: But near the mark I fear :-D

* too well made and reliable

Edited by ajmac

adrian don't feel bad, owning a cromwell automatically gets you into the AHG. membership perks include.

1. unlimited use of the forum to help other members solve their technical problems

2. free use of clubhouse facilities (my shed) when the kids aren't using it

3. annual subscription to club newsletter( pm saying merry xmas)

4. free use of other members facilities, to include workshop areas, cranes/lifting gear,tools, plant and unlimited free labour, (however this rule would also apply to you )

5. a warm fuzzy feeling knowing you've helped get my tanks back on the road

membership applications should be sent to

ivor biggun

20 park drive

marlboro

sh1 tty

AHG making the dream come true :-D

• 1 month later...
Yes very interesting, I found this on a french forum:

le propriétaire n'est pas disposé à se séparer de ces engins

quel que soit leur état..

which translates to (according to google translate):

the owner is not willing to part with these devices

whatever their status ..

The owner possibly changing his mind?? http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=56556&cat=1

well spotted dave, i was looking at that sherman this morning (i want to join the sherman gang) and wondering what value you would put on an empty turretless hull ? even in that condition i reckon on £25k, anyone else got an idea on price

i can see 10 tanks parked up gently rusting away

Edited by eddy8men

If you want a good basis for a Sherman restoration project I'd plumb for Pakistan or Argentina, all you need are some good connections. As Pakistan is on the corrupt side it would be the ideal place to aquire wartime armour, however I'd bank on the best purchase angle being an individual and the best transport angle being a company or 'official' organisation, say AHG :D Thinking again, perhaps Serbia or other former Yugoslavian countries would be a closer trip, they have 75mm Shermans with 76mm main guns fitted, I've seen some photos of them dotted around..... and we have all seen Kellys Heros!

adrian i don't think you have to worry just yet, my ego's writing cheques my body can't cash :D

there's a sherman project for sale in holland i think, for £60k which seems reasonable and also an arv in greece for £30k but whether that could be converted back into a gun tank i don't know.

i wouldn't like to try and deal with pakistan unless you had an inside man, i think there's plenty still in europe to be had you just have to try and get to them before they reach the open market and the price picks up.

eddy

Hi Eddy ,

In my limited experience of Tank restoration , buying the empty hull would be the cheap and easy bit !! ,then theres the export licence you would have to get ,(3 - 6 months ) the cost of the restoration and finding all the missing parts would be the hard part and a bottomless pit in terms of money , i dont think they would turn out to be very cheap at the end of the project .