The WWII Diamond T Register

hi adrian,

details of my dt 981

built 1943

67 bn 31

ch no 9814218

reg DOI 2403

i bought this vehicle from a chap in ireland last august, its hard cab and painted in the colours of harkness heavy haulage of belfast, it still has the hercules diesel engine fitted, sorry for the delay.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info Ruggyjohn, it will be included in the next update.

I was looking at this one too as it was for sale about the same time I bought 566 XUL. The transportation costs were the deciding factor though.

Cheers,

A

Hi Adrian (sorry for not including my full name).

These are the details of my 969a.

built 1943

Chassis No 969A4203

Eng No 126992 RXC

0pen cab

Reg LSU 208

I bought this vehicle 12 months ago from Reliance Garage in Glossop they had owned it

since 1988, before that she was in the Swiss Army from 1949 till 1987.

I am now restoring her, she runs and drives great (I LOVE IT)

Many thanks Adrian, keep up the good work

Malcolm Myers

Edited by Canuk 109
An apology to Adrian and adding more info

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks John, I promise an update to the register very soon. The cab is going back on the T this weekend so after Sunday I should be able to relax a bit and add the recent additions.

Look forward to the pictures, and all the best getting your new toy home,

A

It would seem Martin Oliver is quite keen to get as many Diamond T's together as possible to GDSF, the chap i have just bought this from is currently restoring the ex WYNNS and Booths T time 980 and had a call last week offering transport.

Do you think in the condition it is it should go? we were going to pull it apart in a fit of keenness.

It would seem Martin Oliver is quite keen to get as many Diamond T's together as possible to GDSF, the chap i have just bought this from is currently restoring the ex WYNNS and Booths T time 980 and had a call last week offering transport.

Do you think in the condition it is it should go? we were going to pull it apart in a fit of keenness.

If it was mine i,d take it, i know that a lot of vehicle enthusiasts really do like to see un restored trucks. Over the years there have been a lot of as found,as bought vehicles paraded at Dorset much to the delight of the paying public as well as other exhibitors.

TOO RIGHT IT SHOULD GO.:-D

Thanks John, I promise an update to the register very soon. The cab is going back on the T this weekend so after Sunday I should be able to relax a bit and add the recent additions.

Look forward to the pictures, and all the best getting your new toy home,

A

Eagerly awaiting photos of cab installation.

Eagerly awaiting photos of cab installation.

Ahh, if you are referring to my major day of progress please visit the blog. Full pictures and report now published. I will try to get my ass in gear and update the register as people have been superb in forwarding their details.

Cheers now,

A

• 1 month later...

Hi adrian

another one for the register,

diamond t 981 serial number 981/2656

mil reg 22 yz 53 h5671763

built on contract sm2147

previously registered q728egv

now registered mas 984

ex cvd ashchurch

hard top with rolls royce c6 fitted

picture on main forum link

cheers

maccdt

(steve)

• 1 month later...
hi adrian,

details of my dt 981

built 1943

67 bn 31

ch no 9814218

reg DOI 2403

i bought this vehicle from a chap in ireland last august, its hard cab and painted in the colours of harkness heavy haulage of belfast, it still has the hercules diesel engine fitted, sorry for the delay.

hi when I was a lad I grew up beside John Harkness they had tree D Ts green in colour I served my time as an auto spark and worked on them one had an open cab J Harkness stop using steam engines in 1969 locomotive called Vera he bought new in 1909 would love picture

• 10 months later...
I hope this is to everyone’s liking, and thank you to those who have contributed information to help get us going. Tony/Graham I hope you have no objections but as you can see I have included your Pickfords Diamond T’s.

To get on the register if the Diamond T owners post details and a picture in this thread I will reference the post number in the first column. It should not take long to build up a reasonable population. The information contained in the table should be enough for us to get going. I have initially included some of the vehicles which Dizzy-t and I are aware of. The first column will change as information is posted in the thread.

The register is a picture file which can be easily updated. It was, after several attempts, the most effective way to present this many columns in a neat way. If any errors are spotted feel free to shout!

More to go on soon.

Moderators – can we please make this a sticky? :-)

Cheers,

Ad.

Hi Adrian. Hope all is going well with your T. Have you any more T's to add to this Register. Looking forward to seeing your T running.

Dick:beer::drive:

• 2 months later...

I have a diamond t 980 chassis number 9800687 with RR engine, restoring in to elliotts heavy haulage livery, dont know any more info yet but hoping someone on here may be able to shed some light on it, was the blue one on ebay that was in lincolnshire, previously worked around manchester and was parked in a quarry in buxton when first recovered, when sandblasted ballast box bonny bridge plant hire came up on top of side and nuttall was at bottom on sides, any info on this would be appreciated cheers renown

you have too much time on your hands renown to have painted that ballast box allready and had it signed up in elliotts of york, very nice though. :laugh:

Refused two weeks in corfu so i can keep on with this,not only painted fitted new side, new brackets for rope pendelem, removed rust from under all cross members, rewelded them, repaired floor and new tool box lid and new hinges, and almost rebuilt bulkhead just making air vent as its bin plated over, also already rebuilt starter and had injector pump repaired oh and relined handbrake and freed off mechanisms, all this while sorting scammell contractor ready for shows that are coming up!! And working all week repairing plant!! Oh the joys!

Refused two weeks in corfu so i can keep on with this,not only painted fitted new side, new brackets for rope pendelem, removed rust from under all cross members, rewelded them, repaired floor and new tool box lid and new hinges, and almost rebuilt bulkhead just making air vent as its bin plated over, also already rebuilt starter and had injector pump repaired oh and relined handbrake and freed off mechanisms, all this while sorting scammell contractor ready for shows that are coming up!! And working all week repairing plant!! Oh the joys!

Yes, I have seen the pictures on Flickr. Very nice job and look forward to seeing it some day. I will update the register shortly :-)

Cheers,

Ad.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

HI ADRIAN, THOUGHT I SHOULD ADD DETAILS OF MY DIAMOND T FOR THE REGISTER.

MODEL 981

CHASSIS No 9813925

DOM 1945(ACCORDING TO MVT)

ENGINE CUMMINS NTE 320 14 LITRE

ENGINE No 23218606

WAR TIME REG NOT KNOWN

CIVILIAN REG FIRST REGISTERED AS Q758RYT FROM 01/01/1988

REREGISTERED YSL882 FROM 01/10/2001

CAB TYPE CLOSED CAB

BODY TYPE BALLAST BODY

PREVIOUS OWNER BRS SOUTHERN

CURRENT OWNER RICHARD NOBLE

FATE UNDER RESTORATION

NOT SURE ABOUT DOM, THE MVT LETTER I HAVE A COPY OF GIVES IT AS 1945, THERE IS A SIMILAR CHASSIS NUMBERED VEHICLE IN YOUR REGISTER DATED 1943 AND 1943/44 VEHICLES WITH CHASSIS NUMBERS IN THE FOUR THOUSANDS, WHICH NOW MAKES ME THINK THAT THE DOM SHOULD BE LATE 1943 OR EARLY 1944, IS THERE ANYONE WHO MAY BE ABLE TO HELP WITH THIS?

WILL ADD A PHOTO SHORTLY

REGARDS

RICHARD