1942 ford script g.p,w,

murray watton

Hi Murray,

These pictures of my work in progress might help?

The first shows the long oil line route from the oil filter down past the fuel pump.

The second shows the oil line 'nestling' past the oil pump before going in to the lower union. Unless someone can suggest another method, I have found that saw cutting a slot in to the top of the fuel pump bolt is the only way I can tighten the b*gger up, using a large screwdriver, as I can't get a spanner or socket anywhere near it!

Cheers

Simon

Oil Line route.JPG

Fuel Pump Bolt.JPG

Hi Murray,

I think you could be right, but I am not 100% sure. I think the change was around May 42, and earlier ones were retro-fitted. Others will know for sure.

Mine GPW is 12th May 42 DoD and it does have the torque spring fitted.

Cheers

Simon

To get to that bolt you need a socket (deep), a universal joint, and a 3in + extension. Its quite easy to get to after you do it once.

Whats with the braided oil lines? The rubber ones work fine and don't stick out as much visually.

Also, the red striped water hoses were a MB thing. Proper repos are available for Fords.

The G503 wiki is a bit out of date and vastly incomplete.

GO here: http://jeepdraw.com/PART_COLOURS.htm

Great reference for GPW/MBs.

Edited by deadline

Hi Deadline,

Thanks for the tip with the bolt.

I have seen pictures of the braided oil lines on early Jeeps, and went with it. I'm not doing a 'factory standard' rebuild, but if I'm getting replacement parts, I am trying to get it right.

Similarly the radiator hose; the red striped top hose is a Ford part (full length rubber for the early Jeep).

Cheers

Simon

Hi Deadline,

Thanks for the tip with the bolt.

I have seen pictures of the braided oil lines on early Jeeps, and went with it. I'm not doing a 'factory standard' rebuild, but if I'm getting replacement parts, I am trying to get it right.

Similarly the radiator hose; the red striped top hose is a Ford part (full length rubber for the early Jeep).

Cheers

Simon

For reference you may want to get a free copy of TM10-1513 (May 15, 1942) its on the jeepdraw web site.

The red stripe is not a GPW part. Ford marked all their parts (with very few exemptions). I agree that a motor mechanic is going to use whatever the supply Sgt gave him, and you may have seen it in pictures, but the Jeepdraw guide is pretty much cast in stone for all but some minor issues.

As for the braided steel oil lines, I believe that is also an error. The TM10 calls for rubber. Plus, if the oil line WAS braided steel, there would be no need for the rubber grommet on the oil filter bracket. The grommet was to protect the rubber hose from wearing on the metal.

I understand you are not going for 'factory class'... so this is just informational.

The harness is in fact hessien covered.Its not really clear from the pics.Tony was infact making these at the time and actually supplied a loom for King Michael of Romainia. Its been 22 years since the rebuild. But still looks fresh.....

DSCF9161.jpg

DSCF9163.jpg

DSCF9156.jpg

DSCF9157.jpg

DSCF9147.jpg

DSCF9152.jpg

DSCF9145.jpg

DSCF9154.jpg

This is still the original tub.The "F" logo and GPW is stamped on the gearbox bulge near to where the right side front of the seat bolts to the floor.

What is "hessien covered" if I might ask?

The headlight harness looks like it has the standard electrical tape wrapping, not braided cotton.

I all assume that you put on a second service stop light instead of a BO stop light for driving on streets? That seems to be a popular modification.

Other than the stencil font and what appears to be gloss paint (or did it rain? There is significant reflection of the registration numbers on the top of the fender... a flat paint would not have this effect.

Other than those items it looks good. Much better than what shows up a events I've seen recently. One 'jeep' even had a tailgate (it was a CJ painted up).

Its painted in drab olive that was made by glasrit. The paint is no longer available. It originally was gloss. But it has had a lot of matting agent added to it.It looks a bit shiney in the picture as i have just applied some WD40 on it with a rag. Its natural look has a slight sheen to it. To be honest its the best paint i have ever come across. The picture was taken last year. And the actual jeep was painted 22 years ago. So not bad really.

Its painted in drab olive that was made by glasrit. The paint is no longer available. It originally was gloss. But it has had a lot of matting agent added to it.It looks a bit shiney in the picture as i have just applied some WD40 on it with a rag. Its natural look has a slight sheen to it. To be honest its the best paint i have ever come across. The picture was taken last year. And the actual jeep was painted 22 years ago. So not bad really.

That vehicle is equisite! Very Tidy INDEED :bow: