Your fisrt MV?

Tony B

I have a vague memories of DUKWs on Instow beach?

I also leapt out in front of a 101 (I think!) on Southsea sea front during one of the shows there, I demanded the driver took me and my family (my sister and her boyfriend, my mum and my grandparents) to the Hayling ferry terminal!!!!!!!!! I think it was the 50th commemoration of D-Day! I always wondered who they were :-)

My 1st (and current) MV is a 1956 Alvis Saracen Mk 5....... bought because my father told me what they were when I was about 8 or 9yrs old. He learnt to drive them when they were 'new'... way back then, they were regarded as 'big, ugly, complicated and awkward things to drive, and even worse to fix!'...... nowadays I personally find it fun to drive, and 'challenging' to fix... it's generally the British weather which makes it a pain to work on, since I don't have a workshop big enough to fit it in,.....yet! lol... when i finally have a workshop big enough for it, I'd like a Ferret, preferably a Mk1, and then an FV432 Mk2, to keep the saracen company...

Saracen and me, in the yard, June 2010.jpg

Boxing Day Wickham 08.jpg

My toy, at Bloodhill.jpg

Overlooking Paulsgrove.jpg

hurry up! we've got a wedding to get to!.jpg

07 May 03 Before Restoration #2.jpg

83 BA 78 in Arena Overlord 2009.jpg

• 3 months later...
The first MV I had contact with (and learned to drive in) was GKL 393N - a superb SWB Land Rover Rover 8 FFR. I took it to the second IMPS (later W&P!) Show at Tenterden railway station in 1983 - much to the amazement (and amusement!) of the Jeep owners! It was in really good condition, with most of the original fittings and markings still visible under the paint and was last heard of at a garage in Cornwall, being used as the recovery vehicle and painted bright yellow (I wonder if it's still there?).

I am fairly certain it is not still there. In fact there appears to a Land Rover owned (possibly by Rover8FFR on this forum) sporting the very same numberplate. Military reg was 92EL57.

My first contact with an MV was with an M114A1E1 tracked personnel carrier while in the Army in 1970 during training. The first contact with a privately owned MV was with a 1953 M37 a friend of mine restored. Then I bought a 69 Kaiser Jeep M35A2.

My first MV memory is of the collection of restored vehicles owned by a family friend,I would be about three when I was sat in the cab of an RL. First I owned was a Land Rover Mk8 FFR "Toastrack" which I bought from a local farmer for £70 when I was 17 and sold a few months later for not much more than I paid for it. I bought the GMC when I was 19 and still have it,though it needs a rebuild due to being stored outside for a number of years.