BMVT Winter Rally 2011

RMS

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Barry, myself and a friend are traveling from Inverness to Houffalize for the 22nd Winter Rally. I have been twice before, once by jeep (2007) and the second trip by dodge ambulance (2008). Both trips were via the Rosyth - Zeebrugge ferry. This ferry is now only taking containerised freight which is a real pain. It was a round trip of approx 700mls, it will now be a return trip of approx 1800mls. Luckily i have a good friend in Holland who will lend me his jeep for the Rally. That saves a lot of trailer time and worry about road conditions. Hope to see you there, what are you taking ? Regards David.

• 10 months later...

If the truck re assembly goes well and it behaves its self, might drive it there but depends on how much its going to cost in fuel :shocked:

Looks like its about 400 miles from Calais so at 8 to the gallon its going to be roughly £200 each way.... Plus the UK bit....

What are peoples suggestions on a sensible route to take for driving a GMC? Dover to Calais as the ferry crossing ?

Edited by R Cubed

planning on taking the GTB next year, so will drive to dover along the coast, go on ferry to calais so i can have a bit of a rest then. we usually go via brussels as its the quickest route, but i found going via lille and mons to be a quieter route, so may go that way in the truck. its same route we took in the jeeps the Tanks in Town, im sure you remember that trip!

• 2 weeks later...

change of plan, were going to to go Portsmouth to Le Havre, then drive cross country to winter rally, cuts 200 miles of the journey and the ferry timings are favourable.

only 622 mile round trip that way!

Edited by RMS

• 4 weeks later...