Armed Forces Personnel Service Records

Larry Hayward

Question

I'm sure it's been asked before and will be in the future but where do you have to write to for the personal service records for your relatives or even yourself.

Can someone supply the addresses for the recods for the British Army, the RAF and the RN? My Dad was in the RAF and wants to write off for his and I had Uncles in the British Army & RN in WW2 and two Grandfathers in the British Army in WW1.

Incidentally, as one of my Grandfathers was in the Coldstream Guards in First World War I was told some years ago that the records for him were held with the Guards Museum and when I did this I was amazed to receive copies of documents written in his own hand writing from 1909. I presume the Guards Museum (whose address I cannot remember) still holds records the other Guards Regiments.

Lastly does the record centre depend on rank? Are Officers records kept separately from ORs?

9 answers to this question

The Guards Museum is in Bird Cage Walk in the grounds of Wellington Barracks. I think that makes it a London SW1 postal district. I only walked past it last Saturday and added it to my 'places to visit' list. The rest are in the Public Record Office at Kew. But I think they've given the organisation a trendy new name. Someone will correct me.

Hi Larry,

try a search for `veterans agency` you`ll get the info from there. But for the army for access to family members (army)......

Army Personnel Centre,

Historical Disclosures,

Mail Point 400,

Kentigern House,

65 Brown Street,

Glasglow.

G2 8EX

But this for post 1920 service, so you may need another address.

alternatively phone 0800 169 2277 best of luck

Ashley

I can't imagine that the PRO / National Archives at Kew would have RAF, RN & Army service records as I don't think they are set up to receive loads of letters a year and reply to them. I thought the National Archives was only accessable in person.

Neil,

Go to http://www.veteransagency.mod.uk/service_records/service_records.html and you will see what service records are now held by National Archive / PRO, they are mostly pre 1920's. Also it will explain how to locate later records.

Richard

Neil

What's your confusion?

I got hold of my father's records through the Army personnel Centre at Kentigern House using the info supplied on the veterans agency website.

Very simple process, although I did have to send in a copy of my birth certificate and Dad's death certificate since as stipulated he was not around to give his consent and I had to prove relationship - still keeps some civil servants in work I suppose.

John