Hello from chubbster!

Chubbster

Hello all

I'm Alex

I have a 1984 land rover airportable, I have an interest in the clansman family of radios.

I have 3 radios in my airportable at the moment. All clansman 152,353 & 321

I live near Bristol and have done a few shows in the area.

Would like to get in to post war armour at some point, and if there is anyone in the Bristol area that wants a helping hand working on/servicing I'd love to help.

Cheers all

Alex

Hello all

I'm Alex

I have a 1984 land rover airportable, I have an interest in the clansman family of radios.

I have 3 radios in my airportable at the moment. All clansman 152,353 & 321

I live near Bristol and have done a few shows in the area.

Would like to get in to post war armour at some point, and if there is anyone in the Bristol area that wants a helping hand working on/servicing I'd love to help.

Cheers all

Alex

Welcome, another landy fan

Mark

Thanks again all for the warm welcome.

I will try and get some pictures on here soon, I manly use my fone for the net. And all my pics are on the computer!

I have a dmu for sale at the mo, finishes off the 353 set up whitch is good, do u have the bid250 simulator brick? That's a good buy if you can find one, it looks the part then.

Cheers

Alex

Holy Toledo Chubster!

That is quite the "bling" of radio kit mounted in there! Is there any provenance on how you have mounted some of that kit? I am amazed at the upside down mounted units. A total of four antenae, what are they connected to? Could you explain a bit more what is there and how it all works?

R

Hi,

I have been collecting the clansman family of British army radios for a year now. So it's taken me a year to get to the standard it is now (second photo down).

Using that photo I will explane what's in there!

All the radios etc... Are mounted on the unitary radio station, which was designed to fit on to the airportable land rover or be removed from a rover and be used as a stand alone radio station.

So... Left to right

First radio is the PRC (personal radio comms) 352 VHF manpack radio, which in this case is mounted in a vehicle.

Next to that is the charging unit for the 352's battery it's called the DCCU (direct current charging unit)

Then mounted on the table is the VRC (vehicle radio comms) 321. It's a vehicle mounted HF radio, 2-30 MHz and on top of it is tuning unit.

Mounted next to that on the table is the VRC 353. Again a vehicle mounted radio but this time covers the VHF range.

Mounted on top of the 353 is a DMU (digital master unit). The DMU was produced to make the 353 a "secure" radio (no one can unscramble it unless you have a DMU on the other end). The system is called BID 250, no idea how it works!!

Mounted on the roof left to right

Is a antena matching unit that connects one of the VHF radios to the antena.

Then the commanders box & commanders personal unit & headset that's part of the basic intercom I have in there ( just for a bit of fun realy)

Then two speakers and mounted behind that is a penthouse light.

I'm no expert at this subject, it's just what I have picked up over the year I've been buying radios. So forgive me if it's flawed in any way!

Hope I've explaned more than I've confused you! I'm more of a practical person than an academic.!!!

Cheers

Alex

I have a dmu for sale at the mo, finishes off the 353 set up whitch is good, do u have the bid250 simulator brick? That's a good buy if you can find one, it looks the part then.

Cheers

Alex Hi Alex. You sure have a very tidy Landi. and signals display. It looks the part with all cables and kit fitted. (see my foto pic site for my/our displays)

Yes I picked up a bid 250 (simulator) at W&P this year new and boxed at a good price.

Also picked up a collection of user hand books on Clansman secure speech at the Northern Mil. Expo last weekend, not got through the one, bit heavy reading!!

You need a TDED next :D.

Again, great set up.

Andy.