Does anyone have pictures of a Karrier W06??

Gavla

Hi Gavin , it looks fantastic , what a find , is that a track laying by the side of the lorry to wrap around the rear wheels to increase traction ?? would be ideal this weather !!, look forward to seeing the truck upclose soon ,congradulations again for a amazing find ,

Regards Adrian

Hi Gavin , it looks fantastic , what a find , is that a track laying by the side of the lorry to wrap around the rear wheels to increase traction ?? would be ideal this weather !!, look forward to seeing the truck upclose soon ,congradulations again for a amazing find ,

Regards Adrian

Hi Adrian yep have a full set of tracks for the old girl, frightened to put them on though as the tryes are original and about 90%. Amazing what you can find in these old farm contractors yards!!

When we did the London to Brighton run in the WD Autocar (so that must have been 1994) we saw this Karrier newly restored. The owner had gone to a yard to buy an MV (forget what it was), and found this Karrier entirely dismantled and bought it instead. I think the L to B was its first big event. In fact i dont remember seeing it anywhere else.

It next came up for sale and was photographed in CMV about 4 or 5 years ago. I presume that it was that owner you bought it from. A great looking truck and very unusual. Good luck with it.

Looks great, looking forward to seeing it in the metal, any plans to go to local shows with it it?

hope to take it to beltring for its first outing next year as i have a few little jobs to do on her first, and then as may as poss

'Old Motor Magazine' , Volume 4, no. 12 (wrongly numbered 11) ,August / September 1966 has an interesting article on the 'Artillery Transport Co.' and has a copuple of Karrier pictures. Also interesting to note it appears to have survived with its original inter-war period Middlesex registration number.

Richard Peskett.

Cheers Richard will have to look out for that publication. yes your right about the reg plate

When we did the London to Brighton run in the WD Autocar (so that must have been 1994) we saw this Karrier newly restored. The owner had gone to a yard to buy an MV (forget what it was), and found this Karrier entirely dismantled and bought it instead. I think the L to B was its first big event. In fact i dont remember seeing it anywhere else.

It next came up for sale and was photographed in CMV about 4 or 5 years ago. I presume that it was that owner you bought it from. A great looking truck and very unusual. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the info as im trying to track down as much as poss. I found the karrier on a farm in cambrigdeshire about 5 mouths ago

Thats an amazing find , is it as good in real life as it is in the photo's ! Having only seen such machines in Books I d never expect to see one out and about . Any ideas as to how many there are in the world ?

She looks even better now, washed and polished only have a few little jobs to do.

Amongst all the spares in the back body i found some paper work believing it to be the only surviving example! well only restored example!

There are photos out there of WD trials held in North Wales in the late thirties, due to senile dementia, although I've seen the photos several times I can't remember the source or whether the six wheelers shown include Karriers.

There are photos out there of WD trials held in North Wales in the late thirties, due to senile dementia, although I've seen the photos several times I can't remember the source or whether the six wheelers shown include Karriers.

Hi Degsy,

I know the photos you mean, they have come up on either this forum or MLU in the past. But this lorry predates those trials as it is a 1928 or 1929 model. I did find the photos again just to check ( Chris Hodge Trucks, owner of the Commercial Motor photo library), and did not see any Karriers.

Have been doing a bit more digging, Commercial Motor has more with illustrations on the Artillery Transport Co. 19th March 1929 p.178-180; 3rd April 1928 p.243; a forward control version 8th Jan. 1929 p.699-701 and finally 14th Aug.1928 Australian expedition p.869. The National Motor Museum Trust library ,Beaulieu will have copies of this.

Richard Peskett.

Hi Degsy,

I know the photos you mean, they have come up on either this forum or MLU in the past. But this lorry predates those trials as it is a 1928 or 1929 model. I did find the photos again just to check ( Chris Hodge Trucks, owner of the Commercial Motor photo library), and did not see any Karriers.

Hi Richard, I had an idea they had come up on here but didn't want to start a wild goose chase. Interestingly I recognise the locations of the photos, they still exist as green lanes and I have driven them many times over the years.

Gavin, congratulations on obtaining one of the very few surving inter-war military vehicles. They are possibly rarer than WW1 lorries!

I've seen this vehicle twice before - once on the London to Brighton run as mentioned already; and also at the Enfield Pagent of Motoring about 10 years ago. I think the then owner lived in Hertfordshire somewhere.

It was up for sale about two years ago, a couple of adverts appeared in Classic Military Vehicle.

There is a little piece on the Artillery Transport Company here from the Evening Post of August 17th, 1929: http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=EP19290817.2.190.4

As your vehicle has a Middlesex 'MT' registration, I'll be surprised if it once belonged to the ATC fleet. I know two of their Karriers were registered in York: VY1060 and VY1076. I guess the rest were as well?

I also attach some photos from my collection (not for reproduction), which I hope are of interest. The bottom two clearly have a single louvre in the bonnet side panel - same as yours. I've also seen them with three louvres. I'm not sure when or why the change. Perhaps the single louvred bonnets were used on the Dorman engined lorries with the three louvred on those with Tylor engines. Who can say more?

Karrier WO6 002.jpg

Karrier WO6 003.jpg

Karrier WO6 001.jpg

Gavin, congratulations on obtaining one of the very few surving inter-war military vehicles. They are possibly rarer than WW1 lorries!

I've seen this vehicle twice before - once on the London to Brighton run as mentioned already; and also at the Enfield Pagent of Motoring about 10 years ago. I think the then owner lived in Hertfordshire somewhere.

It was up for sale about two years ago, a couple of adverts appeared in Classic Military Vehicle.

There is a little piece on the Artillery Transport Company here from the Evening Post of August 17th, 1929: http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=EP19290817.2.190.4

As your vehicle has a Middlesex 'MT' registration, I'll be surprised if it once belonged to the ATC fleet. I know two of their Karriers were registered in York: VY1060 and VY1076. I guess the rest were as well?

I also attach some photos from my collection (not for reproduction), which I hope are of interest. The bottom two clearly have a single louvre in the bonnet side panel - same as yours. I've also seen them with three louvres. I'm not sure when or why the change. Perhaps the single louvred bonnets were used on the Dorman engined lorries with the three louvred on those with Tylor engines. Who can say more?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38397[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38398[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38399[/ATTACH]

Thanks Runflat for the info, the pics are great! I have seen photos of three louvre bonnets to, one really good one of a Karrier in service in India, sent to me by my good friend Richard Farrant, see pic below:

RASC.Unident 39 Coy RASC.jpg

Have been doing a bit more digging, Commercial Motor has more with illustrations on the Artillery Transport Co. 19th March 1929 p.178-180; 3rd April 1928 p.243; a forward control version 8th Jan. 1929 p.699-701 and finally 14th Aug.1928 Australian expedition p.869. The National Motor Museum Trust library ,Beaulieu will have copies of this.

Richard Peskett.

Hi Richard, will try and contact the Motor Museum to get the info that you kindly sent me. Regards Gav.

What a fanastic picture of the FWD R6T breakdown tractor! I note the Karrier is on single rears - the same as other photos of 'three louvred' WO6 Karriers I've seen.

Another rumage amongst the collection and I find this picture of the nose of MT6295 - just a few away from yours. The probability of there being a picture of your vehicle must be reasonably high. Only problem is, it's likely to be a snap shot in someone's family album!

Karrier WO6 004.jpg

What a fanastic picture of the FWD R6T breakdown tractor! I note the Karrier is on single rears - the same as other photos of 'three louvred' WO6 Karriers I've seen.

Another rumage amongst the collection and I find this picture of the nose of MT6295 - just a few away from yours. The probability of there being a picture of your vehicle must be reasonably high. Only problem is, it's likely to be a snap shot in someone's family album!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38419[/ATTACH]

Fantastic photo, expect your right about someones old photo album languishing in a loft some where!. Will have to get some of those coveralls to go with the truck now

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...
On 12/2/2010 at 6:08 PM, Gavla said:

My wife and I have recently purchased a 'Karrier W06' and was hoping someone out there would have some pictures of the vehicle in action!!:-D

DSCF0513.jpg

It's only taken 10 years to find a photo - but at long last...  Hope it's worth the wait!

Karrier WO6.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 year later...
On 12/2/2010 at 6:08 PM, Gavla said:

My wife and I have recently purchased a 'Karrier W06' and was hoping someone out there would have some pictures of the vehicle in action!!:-D

DSCF0501.jpg

DSCF0513.jpg

DSCF0520.jpg

DSCF0501.jpg

DSCF0513.jpg

DSCF0520.jpg

Hi Gavin. 

Father and Granddad originally restored this! We have just in earthed some photos of the restoration, will happy send them to you. Do you still have the Karrier? Jim

• Like 1