red Diesel

Off at a slight tangent, but still relevent. I was talking earlier this evening to a local farmer who offered his services to the County Council today to help clear some of the minor roads round here of snow. The council turned him down, since they insist that to do this he must a) have substantial public liability insurance and indemnify the council and b) use taxed fuel not red in the tractor whilst so doing, since it isn't agricultural activity.

There are times when I hate what the world is becoming.

But "snow clearing vehicles" and "gritters" are permitted to use rebated fuel (red diesel) ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off at a slight tangent, but still relevent. I was talking earlier this evening to a local farmer who offered his services to the County Council today to help clear some of the minor roads round here of snow. The council turned him down, since they insist that to do this he must a) have substantial public liability insurance and indemnify the council and b) use taxed fuel not red in the tractor whilst so doing, since it isn't agricultural activity.

There are times when I hate what the world is becoming.

The Council were wrong. One of the exceptions is as below.

8.10 Snow clearing vehicles

A vehicle is an excepted vehicle when it is being used to clear snow from public roads by means of a snow plough or similar device (whether or not forming part of the vehicle) or when it is travelling to or from the place where it is to be or has been used for that purpose.

With regard to public liability insurance re the snow clearing that im doing at the moment , i allready have £10 million cover for the rest of my contracting activities ,and as for the fuel issue, well we have all got a living to make ! ,being mister nice guy all the time dosnt allways pay the bills , i think certain people need to live in the real world !!

but i do have a big isue with alot of these threads and the debates that are had , it puts it all over the internet for ever , why not keep quiet ( my polite word ) and just get on with it , who knows what damage certain people do our hobby !!!!

See post 39... keeping on the right side of the law & to be seen as doing so has got to be far better than just getting on with it IMO... Forewarned is Forearmed

The Council were wrong. One of the exceptions is as below.

That doesn't surprise me in the least.

8.10 Snow clearing vehicles

A vehicle is an excepted vehicle when it is being used to clear snow from public roads by means of a snow plough or similar device (whether or not forming part of the vehicle) or when it is travelling to or from the place where it is to be or has been used for that purpose.

Very useful information, thanks.

I dont agree with breaking the law and i used to run my Reo on Derv , as M G said the cost saving for the few miles that i did wasnt worth worrying about but i do have a big isue with alot of these threads and the debates that are had , it puts it all over the internet for ever , why not keep quiet ( my polite word ) and just get on with it , who knows what damage certain people do our hobby !!!!

Because those who do keep quiet are the ones fully aware that what they're doing is questionable, and are therefore the ones who will claim ignorance when 'pulled' when they know full well that they've been naughty boys.

What I don't understand is why you bring up your point. It would seem sensible that if you do want others to keep quiet about it, either P.M. people or keep schtum, rather than posting a reply that is for all intents and purposes as subtle as...

COOEEE WE'RE OVER HERE

Because those who do keep quiet are the ones fully aware that what they're doing is questionable, and are therefore the ones who will claim ignorance when 'pulled' when they know full well that they've been naughty boys.

What I don't understand is why you bring up your point. It would seem sensible that if you do want others to keep quiet about it, either P.M. people or keep schtum, rather than posting a reply that is for all intents and purposes as subtle as...

COOEEE WE'RE OVER HERE

I think Adrians point is that sometimes debate's are best not held on a public forum .... ie so as NOT to say Cooeee (wonderd how that was spelt :D ) not specificaly about this thread .

The law is without doubt black and white ..... the real world however has many shades of grey.... many new vehicles leaving the showroom today would, if the letter of the law was applied be illegal ....

I think Adrians point is that sometimes debate's are best not held on a public forum .... ie so as NOT to say Cooeee (wonderd how that was spelt :D ) not specificaly about this thread .

The law is without doubt black and white ..... the real world however has many shades of grey.... many new vehicles leaving the showroom today would, if the letter of the law was applied be illegal ....

But let's still debate so not to fall short of the law!!! if anyone disagrees then don't come winging if you fall foul of..

The number of number plate recognition cameras around Lincoln, Wragby, Grimsby, to name but a few make it almost impossible to run an unlicensed vehicle around Lincolnshire, surely Number plate recognition has made SORN redundant, and it is now time to save the money spent trying to paper chase the SORN system.

NPR cameras btw cannot read older pre '72 non reflective white on black reg plates. This fact slipped out on the TV series "Police interceptors", after they stopped a car fitted with illegal white/black plates

Edited by Nick Johns

NPR cameras btw cannot read older pre '72 non reflective white on black reg plates

and I haven't seen one of those on the roads around here for years apart from two guys who run around on an old Matchless and a BSA. (apart from vehicles off to rallies etc.)

Number plate cameras will catch 99.9% of the untaxed offenders around here.